Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamilton's Contract?

Re: Hamilton's Contract?

He has a plan he just doesn't feel compelled to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry what it is.
    Plan's are funny things, sometime that don't work out at all and it doesn't matter in the end.

Example, Howsam trades Wayne Simpson and Hal McRae, a year later he needs a RH bat so he trades Ross Grimsley for Merv Rettemund.

Grimsley pitches 295 innings and wins 18 games for the Orioles and Hal McRae hits .310/.375/.475 for the Royals. Merv Rettemund hits .216/.337/.332 for the Reds.

However, because of the suck that Rettemund displays Foster gets called up and begins to get entrenched and gives the Reds another .500 slugger, a big part of why they rocked so hard the next two years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

And maybe he did the Trade, to open an outfield space knowing Hamilton could be picked up as a rule 5. Do I even need to bother with an emoticon?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plan's are funny things, sometime that don't work out at all and it doesn't matter in the end.

Example, Howsam trades Wayne Simpson and Hal McRae, a year later he needs a RH bat so he trades Ross Grimsley for Merv Rettemund.

Grimsley pitches 295 innings and wins 18 games for the Orioles and Hal McRae hits .310/.375/.475 for the Royals. Merv Rettemund hits .216/.337/.332 for the Reds.

However, because of the suck that Rettemund displays Foster gets called up and begins to get entrenched and gives the Reds another .500 slugger, a big part of why they rocked so hard the next two years.
    Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Blunders is a book that's basically several hundred pages of stuff exactly like this. Interesting read if you like tracing a string of transactions through their impact (or lack thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Shameful that so many great games down the stretch required so much hype to get anybody to come down to GABP.
    6 year of below .500 will do that to a fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    He has a plan he just doesn't feel compelled to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry what it is. That's my take. In all honesty he doesn't have to tell "us" what it is. He runs the show and he'll do it the way he knows how. I think Wayne has shown that he's in charge and he'll steer left or right how he sees fit. If someone besides Castellini doesn't like that, well...tough. Fans will come out as long as the Reds are competitive. Hopefully attendance will be a bit better this year. Shameful that so many great games down the stretch required so much hype to get anybody to come down to GABP.
    People rip on Wayne Krivsky for making "pointless" deals on all the time, and I just do not understand it.

Sure, more of his "junk" deals turn out to be nothing (Ryan Franklin, that pitcher from the Rockies, etc.), but what did we give up in those deals? Anything of substance? At all? The worst of those deals was the Cormier one because we gave up Germano (not gonna lose sleep) and we gave Cormier an extension. Other then that, none of these deals hurt us.

Then look at the "garbage deals" that turned out VERY well. Brandon Phillips (PTBNL), David Ross (PTBNL), Scott Schoenwies last year even if was only for a year, Josh Hamilton (200K).

There's 4 moves right there, 3 of which will help us out this year. There are probably more then that too.

Then people talk about the Castro signings add up and make up a big part of our payroll. Well first of all, money hasn't been an issue since Cast got here. Obviously we aren't the Yankees, but if there is a move that needs to be made money isn't going to affect him. The money were are paying "roster fillers" isn't hurting us NEAR as much as the $20 million we are paying the pitcher with a 5+ ERA and the CF who plays bad D, had a barely .300 OBP last year, and who is always hurt.

Wayne is like a college student shopping at the salvation army. He spends a dollar and buys a crap load of clothes there. Alot of the time he comes out with something he buys and thinks "why the hell did I buy that", but then there are times where he says "i look fly in this". His flyness is most definatley out-wieghing the crap right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    And maybe he did the Trade, to open an outfield space knowing Hamilton could be picked up as a rule 5. Do I even need to bother with an emoticon?
    Oh my gosh! Kriv is really Carnac The Magnificent!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

I honestly think Special K came in here with a plan. He knew from day one what he wanted to accomplish...he may not have known the exact players but he had profiles he wanted to fill and I think that is still the way he is operating...Special K is so far ahead of other GM's we should start a thread like the Chuck Norris website that talks about all his power!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Monger

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wayne is like a college student shopping at the salvation army. He spends a dollar and buys a crap load of clothes there. Alot of the time he comes out with something he buys and thinks "why the hell did I buy that", but then there are times where he says "i look fly in this".
    I wonder if that is how Krivsky phrased his GM style when interviewing with Castellini. That would be fun to watch
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

Turn Off Ads?