Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Olberman says Rose's suspension likely to be lifted in the next year

Olberman says Rose's suspension likely to be lifted in the next year

Did anyone else hear Keith Olberman today on the Dan Patrick show? He said that in reality, Rose's lifetime has already been quietly lifted, and that he is now on some form of probation, with this exhibit at the Reds HOF and museum the first step. By MLB allowing Rose to appear at GABP and for the Reds to recognize him in an official capacity, it has made null the agreement signed with Giamatti, says Olberman. He also said that it is common knowledge that Rose won't be allowed to manage again, and that Pete is okay with that, but to look for Rose to possibly be named hitting coach of the Reds in the future, and at the very least, to have serve in some official capacity with the Reds in the front office if he continues to follow the terms of his probation over the next year.

Interesting...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Olberman says Rose's suspension likely to be lifted in the next year

I can't see him ever being allowed in uniform again. I'd bet that a deal would be struck that would allow MLB to use Pete's name for merchandise, MLB would promote Pete's personal appearances, Pete would be eligible for the HOF, and perhaps he would be allowed to participate in Spring Training.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

If any of this is happening/going to happen I can guarantee it's because of Bob Castillini.

Anything would be nice at this point. Pete's getting up there a little bit... it'd be really sad if his life ended without him having made some sort of peace with baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Rose was upset at Selig at his press conference today. He said he really thought he was going to be let back into baseball, and to ask Selig why he renigged on the deal. He wasn't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Did anyone else hear Keith Olberman today on the Dan Patrick show? He said that in reality, Rose's lifetime has already been quietly lifted, and that he is now on some form of probation, with this exhibit at the Reds HOF and museum the first step. By MLB allowing Rose to appear at GABP and for the Reds to recognize him in an official capacity, it has made null the agreement signed with Giamatti, says Olberman. He also said that it is common knowledge that Rose won't be allowed to manage again, and that Pete is okay with that, but to look for Rose to possibly be named hitting coach of the Reds in the future, and at the very least, to have serve in some official capacity with the Reds in the front office if he continues to follow the terms of his probation over the next year.

Interesting...
    Did Olbermann blame Bill O'Reilly for this development?

Perhaps Rose will be eligible for "Worst Person in the World" if he screws up Dunn's swing in the future.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I can't see him ever being allowed in uniform again. I'd bet that a deal would be struck that would allow MLB to use Pete's name for merchandise, MLB would promote Pete's personal appearances, Pete would be eligible for the HOF, and perhaps he would be allowed to participate in Spring Training.

I agree there is NO WAY that mlb will let him back in a club house wearing a jersey.I do think if they are planning on letting him in the HOF then they should before he passes away.Rose deserved to be punished but enough is enough already.The guy might not of managed the right way BUT he did play the game the right way...and the stats that he got when he played is amazing and that should be enough for him to get into the HOF.

I know if I was in Roses shoes and if I was getting up there in age and not gotten into the hof yet... that I would put it in my will to not EVER put me in the hof after I have passed b/c they could have easily put me there when I was a live.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

I honestly thought today was going to bring an announcement that the ban had been lifted...surprised it did not.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Maybe he'll throw out the first pitch on opening day. the announcement could be made then. but, probably not.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Maybe he'll throw out the first pitch on opening day. the announcement could be made then. but, probably not.
    They already said the mayor of Cincy is throwing out the first pitch.

--Brent

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I hope it is true that Pete Rose gets put into the Hall of Fame. I hope Pete Rose does not do things (write a book) that will not let it happen. I hope Pete Rose does not do things after induction that make it seem that his only concern with getting into Cooperstown was to profit from it. I hope MLB does not allow Pete back in uniform in any way so that future generations of players/coaches/managers will understand that you do not bet on any game in any manner. I hope that Pete's induction speech will bring tears to all of our eyes and make us realize the importance of that accompishment to him... b/c he loves baseball like we all do.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

700 WLW is reporting this morning that Pete has purchased tickets to opening day behind home plate. It will be his first game at the GABP. I wonder if he had to purchase a power pack?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    700 WLW is reporting this morning that Pete has purchased tickets to opening day behind home plate. It will be his first game at the GABP. I wonder if he had to purchase a power pack?
    I'm not sure if your comments are in jest. Pete has attended several games in the Diamond Seats at GABP. Once the fans figured out he was sitting there it was as if the Pope had arrived. (Yes, I just used Pope and Pete in the same sentence)
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by geniusMoment View Post
    Rose was upset at Selig at his press conference today. He said he really thought he was going to be let back into baseball, and to ask Selig why he renigged on the deal. He wasn't happy.
    Rose has a serious issue with authority. It's important to believe in yourself and stand up for what you know is right, but you also have to know how to pick your battles. If he wants back in baseball, he needs to swallow his pride and go before Selig on bent knee.

I wouldn't lift the ban, personally, but Bud likely wants some sort of popularity boost before he turns out the lights of the Commissioner's office one last time, and letting Rose back in baseball would likely do it.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

Interesting...
    I don't know that I would want to see Pete as hitting coach. It would be a circus and would relegate whoever is manager (or player for that matter) to a supporting role in the media's eye. Maybe one of those "special assistant to the gm" roles, where he could do a multitude of things.... provide instruction in spring training, show up in uniform for certain occasions.

I hope all of this is true. Olberman was one of Pete's harshest critics at one point, so I don't think he'd be throwing this out there arbitrarily.

Turn Off Ads?