Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lukewarm about the Baseball Prospectus 2007 annual

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Lukewarm about the Baseball Prospectus 2007 annual

Anyone else pick up BP's 2007 Annual?

I'm usually excited about it - but this year not so much.

Along with being generally nonplussed so far about the content - I can't help but feel that in past years the book had an edgy feel about it that was totally void this year - My book which is exactly 8 days old split right down the binding today.

One of the editors made a point of bragging just how fat the book was in the BP Unfiltered blog last week, yet apparently no one thought to check to beef up the binding a tad to accommodate that. Not to mention that the paper grade feels like kids school construction paper, a noticeable downgrade from previous years. This all after BP made a big production showing the love fest for the new publishing house the company moved to for this year.

Not to mention I've read about 65-70 percent of it so far, and I think I've heard some variation of the cliche "Luck is the residue of design" comment at least a dozen times - on all kinds of different teams & players. Seems to me a good editor reading thru the entire book would have cleaned some of that up. Not to mention BP always seemed to have a chip, but you knew you were reading something different. Not so much this year. Just kind of bland and undistinguished.

Cheaper paper + Cheap binding + Blah content. Not exactly a winning combination.

I saw the Doc Scott reviewed it on his blog this morning and came to much of the same conclusions I did.
    http://www.redsandblues.com/?p=241

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Lukewarm about the Baseball Prospectus 2007 annual

I have it. I kind of feel the same way, in that the writing seems a little more homogenized and not as edgy. Perhaps that's the price of being a more popular book that's more read within the game, they're more reluctant to perform surgery without anesthesia. Having said that, I thought the Reds summary was pretty on-target.

I'd also noticed the cheaper paper, but I guess if they're trying to put 600 pages into a paperback and hold the line on price, they had to cut some corners somewhere.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I have it. I kind of feel the same way, in that the writing seems a little more homogenized and not as edgy. Perhaps that's the price of being a more popular book that's more read within the game, they're more reluctant to perform surgery without anesthesia. Having said that, I thought the Reds summary was pretty on-target.

I'd also noticed the cheaper paper, but I guess if they're trying to put 600 pages into a paperback and hold the line on price, they had to cut some corners somewhere.
    I think the 'snarkiness' of the earlier versions has mellowed, which I like... that style of writing does not age well and always amplifies the mistakes that sort of analysis totes along with it. The quality of the book has degraded from the last 5 years, currently I worry that it won't last like my Bill James books from 25 years ago.

Meanwhile Sports Weekly is selling a newspaper for Fantasy Players... $5 for an insert essentially.

Looking at that and the writers who contribute to this doorstop of a book makes BP look better.

But then again I remember when Street and Smith was the only thing we had as spring started... so I'll hold my nit picking to a minimum.

I think the content is fine, although I agree it's not as "edgy".

The quality of the paper sucks though. I think they should raise the price of the book if they are going to increase the content so much that they can't afford to do a good print job.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Apparently there were all kinds of problems with quality control--the blurbs for Adrian Beltre, Bob Wickman, and a few others, were completely omitted.

I've bought it the last 3 years but will probably not do so this season.

I for one am really disappointed in the BP 2007....there was a time when you could learn alot from the annual....from the essays AND the team/player commentary.... Right now for me the only value is that I can look at the Pecota weighted means when i'm away from the computer...

The grammar/spelling errors are really annoying and of course, the player omissions are glaring mistakes. Really though, it's the fluff in the commentary that turns me off the most..... there are a lot of meaningless tables and numbers that serve only to give the appearance of insight...

I have to say that I like the Hardball Times 2007 preview much better...

Basically by getting away from their roots (catering to those looking for innovation/sabermetric approach) in favor of more mass appeal, they are becoming irrelevant.
    Last edited by jojo; 03-14-2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: I edit because BP does not....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Put me down as disappointed too. I'm fine with the writing, but being someone who loves his books and likes to horde them, the quality is awful. I would rather pay more for a decent product (even if, in theory, it is only useful for a year) than save the money and have something that feels cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'll have to check it out. The days of automatically picking up the BP are over I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've also heard from others that HARDBALL TIMES is the way to go this year. I bought BP for the first time this year, and I haven't been too impressed. What's the cheapest place to get HARDBALL TIMES? I may yet have time to get one before our draft next week...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

What's the cheapest place to get HARDBALL TIMES?
    Acccording to their website, you can download the whole thing as a PDF file for nine bucks. I'm thinking about it; has anyone tried this?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I have the Hardball Times. It's good. But don't buy it expecting player or team projections b/c that's not what it's about. It's more an overview of what happened last year so while it would be a great thing to have for Strat, not so much for Fantasy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I have the Hardball Times. It's good. But don't buy it expecting player or team projections b/c that's not what it's about. It's more an overview of what happened last year so while it would be a great thing to have for Strat, not so much for Fantasy.
    No they have a "preview" this year too.

I bought my first BP this year,it's good but not worth the price.

I would go for the Bill James Handbook. Similar sense, with some great stats for baserunning, defense, projections, park index's and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    I bought my first BP this year,it's good but not worth the price.
    While I'm not terribly impressed with the quality of the book itself, the content is good as always. Even considering the shoddy paper and binding, I'd still say the annual is well worth the $11 I paid for it.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Turn Off Ads?