Hatteberg 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Hamilton CF
    Crosby RF
    Ross C
    Arroyo P

OK, folks, here's the lineup for Satan's Rays of Sunshine (at night)
    Rocco Baldelli CF
    Carl Crawford LF
    Delmon Young RF
    Ty Wigginton 1B
    Jorge Cantu 2B
    Akinori Iwamura 3B
    Brendan Harris SS
    Josh Paul C
    Edwin Jackson P

Freel out again, but they say he's fine, should be able to play tomorrow

More interesting than that, though, was our meeting with Jerry Narron. When digging about the last roster spot, Narron said this:

"A lot is going to depend on if Grif can play. We don't know if he's going to be able to play. There's still one or two spots available, still open.

"If it's March 14 and a guy hasn't been able to play yet, at some point, you need some spring training. Hopefully he'll be well enough to play here in a couple of days."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Edited to add: Rays lineup
    Last edited by membengal; 03-14-2007 at 04:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds at Rays Game Thread 3/14/2007

That sure doesn't bode well for Griffey playing a lot this season if you ask me.

At some point the dude's got to just consider hanging it up.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Nothing like having a sub-.300 lifetime OBP guy leading off the game...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That sure doesn't bode well for Griffey playing a lot this season if you ask me.

Yeah, missing a week or two to start the year is a sure fire sign that a guy wont play much in a season.
    Look, I get the fact that Griffey has been hurt a lot, but I dont see how this injury somehow has any connection to his playing time he will get this season.

"If it's March 14 and a guy hasn't been able to play yet, at some point, you need some spring training."
    Why? Griffey has refused to rehab in Louisville in the past, under the theory that he doesn't need any ABs in AAA. So why would he need any in ST?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I agree. If things continue to prgress with Hamilton and he is an opening day starter we need to begin grooming a lead off hitter. By default it is probally going to be BP. Or Narron could pull a Booner and lead off Dunn lol.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    I agree. If things continue to prgress with Hamilton and he is an opening day starter we need to begin grooming a lead off hitter. By default it is probally going to be BP. Or Narron could pull a Booner and lead off Dunn lol.
    Freel should be healthy and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It's spring training. Come on. He probably just wants him to get 2 AB's so Janish can get a couple.

And in June Roger Clemens will start throwing shutouts for the Yankees or Red Sox...we all are doomsdayers when thinking about Griffey's health...it's spring training...(In my best Iverson voice) "We're talking about spring training here...spring training??

I'm all for Griffey taking his time getting healthy...anyone who watched the Reds with any objective lens last year realizes the enormous impact STILL of Griffey in the lineup...surround him with Dunn, EE, Phillips and Hamilton?? and it's pretty formidable...without Griffey the lineup shouts "AVERAGE" imho...he's still the guy pitchers fear, that managers prepare for, even today at his advanced state...

We seem to want to blame him for getting hurt...and worse, we seem to want to blame him that the Reds PR/medical staff speaks in ways only discernable by FBI and CIA types...

I personally think at age 55 Griffey could drag his old body to the park and turn on a left-handers inside fastball with the most gorgeous swing ever seen in a ML park

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, missing a week or two to start the year is a sure fire sign that a guy wont play much in a season.
    Look, I get the fact that Griffey has been hurt a lot, but I dont see how this injury somehow has any connection to his playing time he will get this season.

why? I'm as big a Griffey fan as anyone but if he can't even come to spring training with healthy legs what makes you think he'll be able to stay healthy once the daily grind starts?

I think it's a huge red flag and can't understand why anyone else wouldnt.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I would be happy if the Reds would EVER, just once, put a realistic timetable on his return from an injury. They always make it seem like they are hiding something when Jr gets hurt because they say things like day-to-day and it seems to turn out to be week-to-week.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

why? I'm as big a Griffey fan as anyone but if he can't even come to spring training with healthy legs what makes you think he'll be able to stay healthy once the daily grind starts?

Uh, well cause it's his hand not his legs

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I would say the last 6 years are a huge red flag supported by a monumental fireworks display with a steaker running through the conflagration.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I would be happy if the Reds would EVER, just once, put a realistic timetable on his return from an injury. They always make it seem like they are hiding something when Jr gets hurt because they say things like day-to-day and it seems to turn out to be week-to-week.
    Exactly. The shadier they are with his injuries, the more ridiculous they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Uh, well cause it's his hand not his legs
    Actually it's both.

Narron was quoted as saying that Griffey can hit, he just can't run yet.

Turn Off Ads?