Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose story on espn.com

Pete Rose story on espn.com

Hadn't seen this posted yet. I'm trying to avoid ESPN after the Bilas and Vitale tongue lashing of XU, but a man can stay away for only so long...!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete Rose story on espn.com

Is this news? I honestly don't remember; I know he already said he bet on baseball, but I thought he also said he bet on the Reds. Is the only news that he bet on them "every night"?

Just sad.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Hadn't seen this posted yet. I'm trying to avoid ESPN after the Bilas and Vitale tongue lashing of XU,
    I didn't get that, either...

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Is this news? I honestly don't remember; I know he already said he bet on baseball, but I thought he also said he bet on the Reds. Is the only news that he bet on them "every night"?

Just sad.
    According to espn.com, it's not just news, it's "breaking news."

It's still sad, though. At least he bet FOR the Reds. Well, that's what he says anyway.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show when he said that, and they started acting like it was a huge deal. Keith Olbermann started frothing at the mouth about it (he's good for that), and then they led off the next news break with it.

I'm not sure why it's such big news. Also, I'm not sure if we should believe it or not. I love Pete, but he has a history of being less than truthful.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

This is about as shocking as when Ellen announced she was gay. IE we all already knew it, even if it hadn't been said.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegNation View Post
    Keith Olbermann started frothing at the mouth about it (he's good for that),
    Ha-ha, yeah, he sure is! That Keith Olbermann, it's fun to knock him! Whee.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Pete says he bet everyday on the Reds to win. This shows he had no business gambling.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Pete says he bet everyday on the Reds to win. This shows he had no business gambling.
    He also bet the Dodgers to place and the Braves to show.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

This is more damage control on Pete's part. The guy is so selfish. It's hard to believe sometimes. His point in all of this is clear. Knowing that it does not look good to only bet on your team on certain days, he wants to make it clear that he always bet on his team (to win). Thus there was never the incentive from a gambling standpoint to use certain scrub players in games where he did not have money on the team to win.

In other words, what's wrong with gambling if you always pick your team to win, right Pete?

I don't believe Pete. Unfortunately, in my mind, it reminds us how dishonest he is and how he's likely still lying to this day. I don't think Pete was so stupid as to bet on his team everyday. He knows better than anyone that his team has a better chance to win on some days than others.

I want so much to get him reinstated so we can get this Pete stuff behind us but then he goes off and does something stupid like this. He's making it very, very tough to reinstate him.

Monger

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post

Just sad.
    Up until this interview, Pete has always denied betting on the reds. IN his 2004 book, he only admitted betting on baseball - not the reds.

Jeff Passan has a column where he does a brief interview with Dowd and Dowd claims that he had evidence that Rose did not bet on the reds everyday and would send a signal to his bookie to bet on the reds to lose; but that he couldnt vet that information in time for his report.

Its always hard when you learn that you childhood heroes have feet of clay, but what do you do when you realize that he is 100% particle board?
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

After reading this stuff the last few days I guess I finally for the first time understand why Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame. I always believed that the records spoke for themselves and that he deserved to be in it. The man is borderline (what is the PC word for retarded?) When I read Soto's comments today I understand that there is more to a "Hall of Fame" member than numbers. Pete had the numbers but unfortunately for Reds fan like me that became Reds fans because of Pete Rose, his circus show has grown old and his election would truly bring so many distractions to the Hall it is better that he stays out.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    When I read Soto's comments today I understand that there is more to a "Hall of Fame" member than numbers.
    If thats the case, there are more than a few guys in Cooperstown that should have their plaques taken down and broken in half.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If thats the case, there are more than a few guys in Cooperstown that should have their plaques taken down and broken in half.
    Yep I agree but Pete isn't there yet. I personally wish that he had been put in before all of this came out. He wasn't so therefore you have to vote on him after the fact. I have always supported Pete until this latest episode. Now I'm just tired of him and wish he would go away.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is more damage control on Pete's part. The guy is so selfish. It's hard to believe sometimes. His point in all of this is clear. Knowing that it does not look good to only bet on your team on certain days, he wants to make it clear that he always bet on his team (to win). Thus there was never the incentive from a gambling standpoint to use certain scrub players in games where he did not have money on the team to win.

In other words, what's wrong with gambling if you always pick your team to win, right Pete?

I don't believe Pete. Unfortunately, in my mind, it reminds us how dishonest he is and how he's likely still lying to this day. I don't think Pete was so stupid as to bet on his team everyday. He knows better than anyone that his team has a better chance to win on some days than others.

I want so much to get him reinstated so we can get this Pete stuff behind us but then he goes off and does something stupid like this. He's making it very, very tough to reinstate him.
    Word. Unfortunately, Pete is still lying, IMO. It is just sad.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Turn Off Ads?