Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belisle wants starting role with Reds

Re: Belisle wants starting role with Reds

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Everyone knows where I stand on Matt Belisle, but I'll say it again, he's the best in house option for shoring up the rotation.
    Which is actually why the Reds won't keep him up here. I think parts of the article really pointed out that unless Belisle pitches lights out and forces the Reds hands he will be optioned to AAA because he has options. I'm really tired of the Reds have all their eggs in one basket and than dropping the basket. Every so often you have to put your best eggs in the basket to make it easier to carry.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's my rotation:
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Belisle
    4. Saarloos
    5. Lohse

I would prefer Belisle starting just because of his back alone. While people worry about his back with starting, I think it may be better because he gets to warm up longer. Belisle always seemed to never be loose when he was called out of the pen and struggled. I am glad he is campaigning

Of course Pole's ability to hone up Matt's change will play a big part in that as well.

Just another reason to dump Milton asap. So we don't have a lefty in the rotation. At this point the Reds need talent in there, not scorecard matchups.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I think with Belisle's attitude, determination and work ethic he certainly deserves to be in the rotation. That being said, Narron won't allow it to happen.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    1) Harang
    2) Arroyo
    3) Lohse
    4) Ramirez
    5) Belisle
    Ramirez's shoulder is now hurting again. I expect him to go on the Reds "day-to-day" plan for the next week or so, followed by the 15-day D.L. to start the season. Sometime in mid-April, he'll have surgery and we won't see him until 2008. I hope I'm wrong, but with the Reds players and medical staff, I have come to expect the worst.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    High five Belisle on speaking out about it. Might just put him over the top. Narron seems to like "grinders" and guys that play "the right way." His confidence and "put me in coach" attitude probably play well in Baseball Guy's world. Here's hoping Jerry and the Kriv get it right.

Unfortunately, they prefer guys who make over $4.5M to guys like Belisle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I also would like to see Belisle in the Reds starting rotation. His curveball is a very good pitch to go along with his 92-93 mph fastball. I don't remember much about his changeup, how does it rate? Anyway, my rotation would go like this: Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Saarloos, and Lohse. Replace Lohse with Homer Bailey after he makes about 8-10 starts at Louisville.
    belisle has always had great starts in the past and he's also had terrible ones too. he is similar to brett tomko was with the reds, with his good stuff but is also inconsistent. and his curveball is a great pitch when its working, but it's so inconsistent, and when it's off it is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    belisle has always had great starts in the past and he's also had terrible ones too. he is similar to brett tomko was with the reds, with his good stuff but is also inconsistent. and his curveball is a great pitch when its working, but it's so inconsistent, and when it's off it is awful.

No one's saying he's going to be a Cy Young award winner. Just that even with his inconsistancies he's better than Milton or Sarloos or even Lohse. Milton and Lohse are the picture of inconsistancy but they are guaranteed rotation spots cause they are vets and make a lot of money.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    Kriv: Now Mr. Saarlos, we like Matt's stuff really well and we like yours too. So, you're going to start in the pen and you get the first shot at the starters spot after Belisle's back gives out or Miltie gives up 20 HRs.
    Why would you want to stick with Milton for three starts?

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Why would you want to stick with Milton for three starts?
    ouch
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by geniusMoment View Post
    Here's my rotation:
    1. Harang
    2. Arroyo
    3. Belisle
    4. Saarloos
    5. Lohse
    That would probably be my choice too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That would probably be my choice too.
    I would love to see a lefty presence not named Milton in that rotation. We will see how that lefty does today in his start.

I definately agree that Belisle should be our #5 starter, he has shown to be more than capable of being a reliable pitcher every 5th day. I also think that Sarloos should have a BP spot to be a flex starter/ reliever, a solid reliever esp for long relief and he is our 6th best option to start, unless Homer is ready mid-season.

I meant to add that I also believe that Milton may be one of our top 5 options This season for the reason that it is a contract year and his future may rely on his performance this season, that being said Im not sure he really has much of a future so he may get what he really deserves after this year and have another terrible season.

Though it was only in a minor league game yesterday against the Orioles, Belisle threw two more perfect innings with one strikeout (23 strikes thrown overall). Please give Belisle-Lohse-Saarloos the 3-4-5 spots in the rotation and do whatever with Milton.

Turn Off Ads?