Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Pete be allowed in the Hall?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES..to the Hall......and he should be allowed to coach

17 10.06%
  • YES..to the Hall......but never coach again

98 57.99%
  • NO....

46 27.22%
  • Im not sure

8 4.73%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do YOU think Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?

Do YOU think Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?

I know it may be a question that has been thrown around a lot here, but I know my personal opinion about the matter varies from time to time. I really am just curious to see a recent poll of what Reds fans think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do YOU think Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?

No.

I keep flip flopping on this. If you would have asked before Pete admitted to it the answer would have been yes.

There is no easy answer.

We're talking about two separate chapters of Pete's life here. As a player, there is no doubt he was hall of fame caliber. As a manager, he'd never even enter the conversation. Add to that, the fact that the gambling took place when he was managing and I don't see where the argument is. We're not talking about putting Pete the manager in the Hall. We're talking about Pete the player.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    We're talking about two separate chapters of Pete's life here. As a player, there is no doubt he was hall of fame caliber. As a manager, he'd never even enter the conversation. Add to that, the fact that the gambling took place when he was managing and I don't see where the argument is. We're not talking about putting Pete the manager in the Hall. We're talking about Pete the player.
    I believe he was a player-manager for a time.
    Where we gonna go?

Yes, and by a long shot. He should never be allowed to be a employee of major league operations or franchises(teams), which he threw away with his bad behavior. But the HofF for sure. Make it official and end the Pete Rose saga.

yes

he came right out and admitted it

he didnt just lie and deny it

that takes guts

Quote Originally Posted by CINCYREDS#1 View Post
    yes

he came right out and admitted it

he didnt just lie and deny it

that takes guts
    It only took almost 20 years.

MLB asked Pete to stop associating with gamblers as far back as as the early 70's. He had his chance .
    School's out. What did you expect?

Agreed with pedro

The story keeps changing, "I never bet on baseball" then "I bet but never on the Reds" now it's "I bet on the Reds but only to win"

I expect in 5 years to hear he bet on the Reds to lose but not that often.
    Go Gators!

Pete broke the number one rule and did so repeatidly. Sorry Pete but arrogance and ignorance doomed you.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

When I looked at all of his records this week in the Enquirer, I thought he should absolutely be in the hall. Now, I don't think he should ever have any official capacity in baseball again, at least not coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    We're not talking about putting Pete the manager in the Hall. We're talking about Pete the player.

This has been my argument all along....Pete Rose the player deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. It's like Bob Costas said "someone got all those hits!" Pete Rose the manager, no way should he be in the Hall of Fame. But even without the gambling scandal, Pete Rose the manager would have never been inducted into the Hall of Fame. I'm sick and tired of hearing how it is posted in every locker room, every dugout, he knew he shouldn't be doing it. Gaylord Perry doctored the baseball, but he is in the Hall of Fame and is one of the biggest opponents as far as Pete getting in.

Another thing that makes me angry is everyone judging him and saying "Well, look how long it took him to come clean". Who gives a fat rat's a**?!?!?!? At least he did. Regardless of why or how long, he did admit it. Yes, he's his own worst enemy, his mouth gets him into trouble all the time. But who of us that were Reds fans when he played didn't know that already? He's not couth, but I'm sorry, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for what he accomplished as a player on the field. Not in the dugout as a manager.

Off my soapbox now....
    Julz

Yes, if Ty Cobb can be in, Pete can be in. Especially in a couple of years, people will be going in that (may have) used steroids. At least we know all about Pete's warts.

Rose is ancient history, a museum piece, sure he should be in the hall drawing dust. If one that did more in the game is not in the hall, then how can those that did less in the game be in that same hall?

Baseball banned him under the old gambling rules, then let it stand, but they evented a new rule when it came to the hall.

For a Level Playing Field

Hall of Fame, yes. Back in the game in some way, no.

Turn Off Ads?