Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City bans metal bats

New York City bans metal bats

Hope I didn't miss this posted anywhere else...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/ny...hp&oref=slogin

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New York City bans metal bats

I have no problem with someone saying metal bats are dangerous and should not be used. I have no problem with the other agruement either. What I DO have a problem with is the City Council making this decision instead of the High Schools, little leagues, ect. Can you imagine if they told MLB they had to use metal bats from now on, because wood bats could lead to splinters.

My gut responce to this is, "dear God, will the safety nuts ever give it a rest"? But that is purely a knee-jerk reaction. Will have to think this one out a bit.

Then again, I'm more of a tradional wooden bat sorta guy, so maybe the unintended consequences that almost always follow legislative action will end up doing something good (ie. ridding this planet of the evil that is aluminum bats in baseball).
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-14-2007 at 08:50 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

NYC's always been a wood bat kind of town.

Last edited by M2; 03-15-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I like New York city better today

All metal bats should be banned, along with the DH

They are just...Wrong.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    NYC's always been a wood bat kind of town.

"Warriors. . . Come out and PLAAYEEEEAAAAY!"
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

good. hope more places follow suit.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Next they're going to make them play with rocks instead of baseballs.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Good grief, further proof that we have too many people in government today. Don't they have anything better to do? Again, passing a law based on no evidence, just a "feeling" that alumimum bats are more dangerous.

I guess the government always knows what's best for us, and should make every decision for us. I forgot to take my vitamin this morning, I'm expecting to get my ticket and fine in the mail.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    "Warriors. . . Come out and PLAAYEEEEAAAAY!"
    Ah, the Furies.

I appreciate their dedication to the baseball theme, but really, does it make sense to wear spiked cleats on pavement?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

This ban wont last long once the environmentalists get ahold of this. By banning aluminum bats more trees will have to be cut down to make wood bats. It will stage a big fight between the environmentalists and the safety police. A battle of the quacks!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Next they're going to make them play with rocks instead of baseballs.
    Nerf™ rocks, maybe.
    Makes all the routine posts.

BP Radio had the guy from NJ who was backing this on a few months ago, pretty interesting show.. all about metal bats etc...

Maybe someone can dig it up?

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Ah, the Furies.

I appreciate their dedication to the baseball theme, but really, does it make sense to wear spiked cleats on pavement?
    I don't like metal bats anymore than the next guy...the ping sound is like fingernails on a chalkboard. But there are several other underlying issues that bother me more; a.) the gov't legislating something as trivial as this, b. the gov't wasting tax dollars on something like this c.) making a decision based on bad data; if they're worried about saftey they should be thinking about how many people get hurt from sprained ankles crosssing a base, broken fingers sliding into a base, injuries from getting plunked, steel spike injuries, etc, etc, d.) is the danger from the trampoline effect of aluminum bats really that pronounced in high school? Maybe in college and likely in pros but not in high school. I've probably watched 600 plus highschool and college games in the last 12 years or so and I can't recall a pitcher ever getting injured by a batted ball, but I recall lots of other injuries sustained before during and after games. Sorry, but it would take someone from NY City to come up with something like this. I just surprised it didn't orginate in California.
    Last edited by Triples; 03-15-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: mispelled
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

What would happen if a kid were killed or seriously injured by a shot off a wooden bat?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?