Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Repairs: How do you get them done?

Re: Auto Repairs: How do you get them done?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    That's probably true as a rule, but not all dealer service departments -- or dealers -- are equal.

They sure aren't. I'll use the example of west side Cincinnati vs east side. The Chrysler dealer on the east side thinks your car is over the hill at 90K miles while the west siders think it's just broken in.

When I had a "condensation" problem in my rear tailight the east side guys said we'll replace the lens for $350. The west side dealer said, sure we can do that or we can drain the water out of it by drilling holes in the back of it and then seal the holes in epoxy, $65. I never could tell where they drained it and I never had another problem with it.

Example 2: I had a "cranky" power antenna. I asked the east side dealer if I could buy just the antenna since the motor was still working fine. Answer, no, they only sell the whole thing as a set, $300. I call the west side dealer answer: Sure, they sell just the metal antenna and plastic lead on it for $80.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you want to get ripped off, then go to the dealership. They especially prey on people who don't know squat about automobiles. I use to go to them and act like I didn't know anything just to see what they'd tell me. It was amazing some of the responses I'd get as to what was wrong with my car, when I knew what they problem was. I took my Mercury in a couple years ago because the "Check Engine" light came on. The told me I needed a new catalytic converter (around $1200 total). I took it to my mechanic and he put it on his tester and found a short in a wire (under $100).

They have tried to take advantage of my Mom on numerous occassions. I guess thinking they are dealing with an elderly lady they could get away with it. They just didn't realize she has three sons who know automobiles and advice her.

I do the routine maintenance on my vehicles myself. But they have made cars so computerized, and made cars today so hard to work on, it's hard anymore to "do it yourself". It use to be no big deal to replace a starter, radiator, and numerous other basic equipment. Nowadays, once you pop the hod, you can't even find it.

I have a local mechanic that I have come to trust. You need to build that loyalty. He gets all my business and he knows it. So he treats me right and gives me good deals. I know when I go into the guy he's not gonna give me the runaround or try to sell me needless repairs.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I take my car (VW Jetta) to an independent shop down the street that specializes in german cars. It's nice because I can walk to/from the shop.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I love tinkering with anything that involves high impact explosions. It's my passion.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They sure aren't. I'll use the example of west side Cincinnati vs east side. The Chrysler dealer on the east side thinks your car is over the hill at 90K miles while the west siders think it's just broken in.
    How true. And on the West Side, you open your mason jar and pay your mechanic cash when the job's done. On the East Side, you ask them to bill you, then you let them chase you around for 30 days while you move money out of your REIT and into your money market fund so you can write a check.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I take my car (VW Jetta) to an independent shop down the street that specializes in german cars. It's nice because I can walk to/from the shop.

Fahrvergnügen

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'm lucky to get the key in the ignition without breaking something. Strictly dealer or mechanic for me for even the simplest things.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Knock on wood, we've had pretty good luck on our cars. Had a Volvo and several Hondas.

I followed the maintenance schedules pretty religiously on both cars. Used to go to a Precision Tune that was always fair with the price and good with the service. Then they sold the business to a new owner and I had a less than pleasant experience with them. 4 times they tried to fix something, and 4 times I had to take it back because the problem wasn't fixed.

Over the years, I've also had occasion to try different dealer service departments. You couldn't pay me to go back to a couple of them. But I've found one that has a well run shop and the prices on the basic maintenance seems to be pretty reasonable, so I've been going to them for everything. In fact, I had a couple things that needed checked out on my car (a 2002) about a month ago. Dealer took care of them and didn't charge me anything.

Supreme Jar Opener

I just usually drive 'em til they die and get a new one... 'course I've never spent more than 4 grand on a car...

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I used to always buy used cars and do all the maintenance and repair work myself. Then I bought a few new Toyotas and the only maintenance I did was the oil change and lube. Now I just don't have the time, I buy new cars only and usually buy another by the time the warranty expires, and all the maintenance is done by a dealer. One dealership (Their initials are Lustine Toyota) charges $80+ for regular maintenance on my Prius and 2 different dealers within a 45 minute drive (one is only 20 min) only charge $40.00 for the same maintenance, so all dealerships are definitely NOT the same, even with routine maintenance. Also, the Prius has different recommended air pressures for the front and rear tires...the expensive dealer doesn't adjust the pressure when they rotate the tires, but the cheaper ones both do. You lose somewhere between 2 and 5 mpg in gas mileage with the reversed air pressure.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?