Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Armchair GM

Armchair GM

If you were GM what would you do to free up the logjam in the pen?
    I would:
    1. Make a deal with Oakland to keep Burton
    2. Trade Cormier for a midlevel prospect
    3. Unload Weathers for a prospect

Pen
    Closer-Coffey he's earned the shot to close
    Lefties-Bray, Stanton,Coutlangus
    Righties-Salmon, Burton

I really feel that the Burton, Salmon, Coffey, and Bray combination could be very special.

Let me know what you would do, heck it's 1145pm get crazy
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-15-2007 at 11:52 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    College Kid

Re: Armchair GM

It sounds good in theory...I don't know if there'd be any real market for Cormier or Weathers, so the prospects these guys could fetch might be extremely average. Then again, we picked up Edwin Encarnacion with Rob Bell.

Definitely agree with your first idea.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I turn all of our veteran relievers for anything of value as soon as we're out of the race. We finally have enough decent depth that the fall off from that 4.00 ERA reliever isn't far to the guy waiting for his shot in Louisville.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    If you were GM what would you do to free up the logjam in the pen?
    I would:
    1. Make a deal with Oakland to keep Burton
    2. Trade Cormier for a midlevel prospect
    3. Unload Weathers for a prospect

Pen
    Closer-Coffey he's earned the shot to close
    Lefties-Bray, Stanton,Coutlangus
    Righties-Salmon, Burton

I really feel that the Burton, Salmon, Coffey, and Bray combination could be very special.

Let me know what you would do, heck it's 1145pm get crazy
    This sounds like a good plan to me. Weathers = Rick White. Cormier < Chris Hammond. I'd go with 12 pitchers and have another guy in the pen probably Saarloos. I'm not real high on him, but he has been better in relief.

I'm no fan of Stanton, but I might let him close for now and use Coffey and Bray for the high leverage situations with men on base in the 7th and 8th. I prefer them to Stanton when the team needs to get out of a jam. It should be easier to come on in the 9th with no one on so I use Stanton as a placeholder in that role for now while the rest of the pen establishes itself in the other roles.

I've been saying all winter that I'd go with youth and Weathers and Cormier were a waste of money. I also understand that this would still be a bottom of the league caliber bullpen because Salmon, Burton and Coutlangus are all still long shots to actually be good pitchers. But I prefer the chance that they will fill a role that can be useful for a few cheap years to guys we know aren't very good in the first place, are more expensive and likely to decline and get worse. A decent Closer (probably from outside the organization) in place of Stanton and one of the trio of Burton, Salmon and Coutlangus proving to be reliable in the middle innings with Coffey and Bray could make this an average or so pen. I'm still not sold on Bray yet either BTW.

Hermanson, Lightenberg, Meadows, Santos, Shearn, Shackleford, Livingston, Dumatrait, Pelland, Medlock, et al provide a fall back in the minors if one or more of the young guys fail (which is likely IMO). Majewski is a wild card.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Dump Cormier Freel Milton for what ever Hermanson Closer if Healthy. Belisle three Loshse four and Livingston/ Sarloos split five spot.

What makes this difficult is that no one is going to take these guys off of our hands with the salaries they are making. The Reds cannot afford to continue dumping people and paying their salaries while they pitch somewhere else or cut their grass at home. If the other team would take one of these guys with that kind of salary, we are not going to get anything of value back. I think we need to be realistic and understand that Weathers, Cormier, Stanton, and Milton are going to be here, like it or not.

I've read a lot of opinions on RZ about how difficult it will be to compete this year and how the Reds should really be gearing up for 2008-2010. I don't want to give up on 2007 just yet, although I agree that it will be difficult to make the playoffs (stay healthy enough to make the playoffs?). I would submit to you, however, that going with youth in 2007 not only would make the Reds better for 2008, it will probably make them better in 2007, especially toward the end of the season (and playoffs should they get in).

Here are the guys that I would try to trade today to make the team better: Cormier, Conine, Weathers, Milton, Griffey (man it hurts to say that).

Here are the guys I would also probably not play: Castro, Stanton.

Here is my team:

SP
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Lohse (no more than 1/2 a year if Bailey is ready)
    Sarloos

RP
    Coffey
    Salmon
    Burton
    Bray
    Coutlangus
    Livingston

Deno - CF (either give him a chance to show he belongs or trade him)
    Dunn - LF
    EdE - 3B
    Griffey - RF (if I couldn't trade him)
    Votto - 1B
    Phillips - 2B
    Ross - C
    Gonzalez - SS

Bench:
    Hamilton - all OF positions (RF if Griffey traded)
    Freel - OF/IF utility
    Gil - IF/OF utility
    Hatteberg - ph/1b
    Valentin - ph/C
    Hopper - ph
    RH power hitter (if Griffey is traded)

Turn Off Ads?