Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Would Make up the All-Time Reds Outfield?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gus Bell

2 1.35%
  • Eric Davis

79 53.38%
  • Adam Dunn

6 4.05%
  • George Foster

49 33.11%
  • Cesar Geronimo

4 2.70%
  • Ival Goodman

0 0%
  • Ken Griffey Jr.

31 20.95%
  • Ken Griffey Sr.

6 4.05%
  • Paul O'Neill

3 2.03%
  • Dave Parker

8 5.41%
  • Vada Pinson

33 22.30%
  • Wally Post

3 2.03%
  • Frank Robinson

122 82.43%
  • Pete Rose

64 43.24%
  • Edd Roush

36 24.32%
  • Bobby Tolan

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds All-Time Outfield

Re: Reds All-Time Outfield

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

An interesting one is Ival Goodman. He was a 5 tool player before anyone had heard of such a thing. Unfortunately just as his power game was emerging, an injury derailed his career. In 1938 he was leading the league in HR at the All Star break. During the All Star game he collided with the bricks in Wrigley Field, permanently injuring his shoulder and hampering his power stroke. He was mostly a singles hitter after that and faded too quickly. One has to wonder what current medicine might have been able to do for him.
    Your post caused me to look up Goodman's stats. His power really did do a nose dive after 1938, when he hit 30 HRs to go with a .292 average. Those 30 HRs ranked second in the NL that season. He also had a .533 slugging percentage for 4th in the NL, and was an All Star. Goodman was also an All Star the next season, but while he hit .323, his HRs fell to 7.
    However he was also age 29 that season, in an era when players tended not to remain at an elite level for as long, so he perhaps just had his peak season before age took its toll. I really don't know that much about him.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 03-16-2007 at 12:44 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow I cant believe Adam Dunn actually got votes.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I go for Greg Tubbs, Gary Varsho, and Cesar hernandez as the first unit
    Clyde Mashore, Andy Kosko and Angel bravo a close second

I failed to read the premise before voting, had this been an all time greatest outfielders list my vote would stand, but I must remove Jr, with the premise that it must include only body of work as a red, sorry for the confusion

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I take Eric Davis, George Foster and Frank Robinson.

Pete Rose was a very good player, but in my outfield I want sluggers.

If you go by the greatness of the player rather than what he did in Cincy you can't leave Griffey off! I went Frank Robinson, Rose and Griffey.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    I go for Greg Tubbs, Gary Varsho, and Cesar hernandez as the first unit
    Clyde Mashore, Andy Kosko and Angel bravo a close second
    What? No Ted Savage?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    Rose- sheesh, what do you do with Rose? I'd rather consider him at 3B for the Reds, but he did win 2 Gold GLoves in the OF for the Reds. I wouldn't rank him above the other three, though. Of interest, for the Reds, Rose played 1299 games in the OF, 629 at 3B, 627 at 2B, and 197 at 1B.
    I'd put Pete Rose in left field, Edd Roush in center field, and Frank Robinson in right field. Vada Pinson would be my fourth outfielder, and George Foster would be my fifth outfielder.

Part of me is surprised at the lack of support Roush is receiving, and part of me isn't surprised. Granted, Roush played during an era that nobody alive on these forums witnessed, but the guy was an amazing player and is also underrated, IMO. Not to mention, Roush was a pretty darn good defensive center fielder too.

Pete Rose at third base isn't a bad option, but I'd probably take Heinie Groh there instead and slide Rose out to left field. Groh has a lot of things going for him that many people often forget. He played during a time when third base was considered much more of a defensive position than it is today, he played during an abysmal offensive era, he played in pitcher's parks, and his peak years were cut short in 1918 and 1919 due to World War I. IMO, he's one of the most underrated players of all-time, and I'd actually support putting Heinie Groh in the Hall of Fame.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I'm sitting here, looking at the poll, and suddenly realizing I left Rose off my ballot.

I don't know much about the early, early Reds OF's but I still went with Roush from what I have heard about him, Frank Robinson of course because he simply is one of the Reds best all-around power hitters ever, and the last one I went with Eric Davis simply because during his time with the Reds, when he was healthy, there simply was nobody better that played that position. Sure Pete Rose could be slipped on there, but again, as an OF as someone else stated on here, I am looking for some power and also in Rose, I see him as more of an IF than an OF even though he played more games as an OF in his career.

Robinson, Griffey, Jr. and Davis. Pinson was the tough one to leave out. Rose is an infielder in my perception. Roush and Goodman - they are way before my time.
    Foster has more votes than Junior? I don't understand that at all.
    Last edited by Betterread; 03-16-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    What? No Ted Savage?
    Isnt that the guy off the Wonder Years?

I voted for Pete, Robby, and Wally Post. Honestly, I voted for Post because he, along with Tony Perez, was the all-time favorites of my late father.

As far as defensive outfielders go, I put Cesar Geronimo at the very top of the list. Nobody was better than The Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Robinson, Griffey, Jr. and Davis. Pinson was the tough one to leave out. Rose is an infielder in my perception. Roush and Goodman - they are way before my time.
    Foster has more votes than Junior? I don't understand that at all.
    If you're going on accomplishments while in a Reds uniform, there's no way Junior ranks ahead of Foster, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    If you're going on accomplishments while in a Reds uniform, there's no way Junior ranks ahead of Foster, IMO.
    And if you are just going purely on career accomplishments rather than what the player did in a Reds uniform, then Christy Mathewson, who won exactly one game with the Reds and 372 with the Giants, becomes the greatest pitcher in Reds history. I think you have to go with accomplishments while in a Reds uniform when selecting an all time Reds team, but that's just my opinion.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?