Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Would Make up the All-Time Reds Outfield?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gus Bell

2 1.35%
  • Eric Davis

79 53.38%
  • Adam Dunn

6 4.05%
  • George Foster

49 33.11%
  • Cesar Geronimo

4 2.70%
  • Ival Goodman

0 0%
  • Ken Griffey Jr.

31 20.95%
  • Ken Griffey Sr.

6 4.05%
  • Paul O'Neill

3 2.03%
  • Dave Parker

8 5.41%
  • Vada Pinson

33 22.30%
  • Wally Post

3 2.03%
  • Frank Robinson

122 82.43%
  • Pete Rose

64 43.24%
  • Edd Roush

36 24.32%
  • Bobby Tolan

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds All-Time Outfield

Reds All-Time Outfield

Here's the premise:

Vada Pinson or Eric Davis

Tough Question. I'll take Vada's Career (but I'd rather have Davis at his peak).
    Excellent answer - Vada Pinson is one of those unsung players who was absolutely fabulous, but played in the shadow of many other great outfielders of his day (Robinson, Aaron, Mays, Mantle, Cededa, etc - and I know I'm leaving off some others).

But Eric Davis in his prime was just unbelievable.

We've been blessed as Reds fans to have some very terrific outfielders down through the years. I doubt you could ever really do justice to an all-time Reds outfield.
    Using whatever criteria you want, what three outfielders would you choose for the All-Time Reds outfield? I'm very light on the first half of the 20th century, so let me know if I left anybody off. Since the 1950's, frankly we've had a tremendous number of good outfielders. I can see why in 1960, Reds fans named Edd Roush the top Reds player up to then.

The outfielders should be judged only for their time as a Red.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 03-16-2007 at 10:35 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds All-Time Outfield

Tough to pick three. I went with Geronimo over Davis for my 3rd because I think he was better defensively. However, if I'm picking the overall better player, then Davis would be the one.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Whither Eddie Milner, Gary Redus, Kal Daniels, Paul Householder, and the immortal Rolando Roomes?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Wow, no love for Jr so far. In his prime who on that list was better? Or are we voting only on what they did as a Red?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I went with FRobby, Pinson and Roush. Three HoF caliber careers, there. Pinson often gets overlooked, probably because he played alongside Robinson.

Eric Davis had more talent than any player I ever witnessed, except for John Bench. There was nothing Davis did not do well on the field. It's unfortunate the injuries derailed his career.

Geronimo was an excellent CF, with a rifle arm. He hit just enough, but not enough for me to consider him one of the three best.

Rose- sheesh, what do you do with Rose? I'd rather consider him at 3B for the Reds, but he did win 2 Gold GLoves in the OF for the Reds. I wouldn't rank him above the other three, though. Of interest, for the Reds, Rose played 1299 games in the OF, 629 at 3B, 627 at 2B, and 197 at 1B.

I went with Robinson, Foster, and Davis.

I'm assuming we are going off of their careers as Reds, not on just "peak years" or "entire careers."

Also, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the older guys on the list, so that swayed my vote as well.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow, no love for Jr so far. In his prime who on that list was better? Or are we voting only on what they did as a Red?
    I thought it was only what they did as a Red. I could be wrong.

All Time?

Roush/Robby/Vada

Nice fielding combo too.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Only their time as a Red. I'll edit the post to clarify that.

I voted based on the player's career with the Reds, not their overall career.

Kevin Mitchell should definitely qualify in the "what they did as a Red" category. In his first two abbreviated seasons in Cincinnati, all he did was OPS .986 and 1.110. His '94 season was like a cartoon (310 ABs, 30 HR, .429 OPB, .681 SLG).
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-16-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Robinson and Pinson were no brainers for me. I had a hard time picking between Foster and Roush but in the end I picked Foster just simply because I think Foster played during an era when the quality of play was better.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I voted for Robinson, Rose and Roush, the 3 R's.
    Frank Robinson is the easy pick. He spent ten years with the Reds and arguably had the most productive decade of any player ever to wear a Reds uniform.
    I can't imagine an all time Reds team without Pete Rose in the lineup somewhere (but then 20 years ago I couldn't imagine a Hall of Fame not eventually including Rose, either). Perhaps if we were selecting an all time team, I'd put Rose at third, but his best seasons, and his best position, came as an outfielder. Other Reds outfielders may have had individual seasons that were greater than any one season had by Rose, but no one was so good for so long as a Red.
    Robby and Pete will man the corners; which one is in left and which one is in right can be decided later. That means I need a centerfielder.
    I was tempted to pick George Foster, whose 52 HR season in 1977 was one of the greatest years any Red has ever had. Foster was great for about seven seasons in all, although not always at the level he reached in 1977. Unfortunately, one thing Foster never was was a great fielder. If I took him, then I had to play Robinson or Rose in center, and that wouldn't work.
    I considered Eric Davis, who for a few months in 1987 looked like the second coming of Willie Mays, but Eric couldn't sustain that production, nor could he stay healthy.
    If Ken Griffey Jr. had had his peak seasons in the 1990s with the Reds, he would be an easy pick, but he was a Mariner then. He had good seasons with the Reds in 2000 and 2005, but that isn't enough to make this team.
    I almost picked Vada Pinson, a true centerfielder and quality all around talent. However, I finally went with Roush, whose batting numbers looked to me to be significantly better than those of Pinson's.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 03-16-2007 at 10:41 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Only three is pretty tough.

Using very simple logic.

1. All-Time Hit Leader with Top 5 listings on a ton of all time Record Books.
    2. Hall of Fame RF who had most (not all) of his best years with the Reds and has over 500 Career HR.
    3. Old-Time Red who was regarded as the greatest red of all prior to the 70's who had the lions share if his HOF career in a Reds uniform.

Others are tempting but just don't have the credentials as a Red that those three guys do.

Vada Pinson would be my 4th choice followed by George Foster.

Eric Davis had too short a career as a top player. Dave Parker didn't play enough years with the Reds. Ken Griffey Jr hasn't been anything resembling an all-time player during his Cincinnati stint.

An interesting one is Ival Goodman. He was a 5 tool player before anyone had heard of such a thing. Unfortunately just as his power game was emerging, an injury derailed his career. In 1938 he was leading the league in HR at the All Star break. During the All Star game he collided with the bricks in Wrigley Field, permanently injuring his shoulder and hampering his power stroke. He was mostly a singles hitter after that and faded too quickly. One has to wonder what current medicine might have been able to do for him.

Adam Dunn has a chance to put a lot of numbers on the board before he's done. If he keeps going even at 2006 levels, it would be hard to keep his eventual HR, Run and RBI numbers off the team no matter how many times he K's or what his defense may be.

The rest don't measure up.

Its Rose LF, Roush CF, Robinson RF.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-16-2007 at 11:32 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Logic be damned - I'd want to see Roush, Davis and Robby play together.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Robinson and Rose are no brainers. There careers were long and productive, with their best years with the Reds.

The third pick is harder.

Roush is probably easily deserving, but I never saw him play, so it's easier for me to ignore him. Not logical, I would admit.

So for me, it came down to Foster, Davis and Pinson.

Foster had the best peak years, but his career was relativly short. The same can be said for Davis. Both were wondweful ballpalyers.

I went with Pinson, because he was a great player, over many years, but was easily overlooked. He needed my vote more. He also brought us Granger and Tolan in a trade so he was productive even after he left.

Turn Off Ads?