Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Would Make up the All-Time Reds Outfield?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gus Bell

2 1.35%
  • Eric Davis

79 53.38%
  • Adam Dunn

6 4.05%
  • George Foster

49 33.11%
  • Cesar Geronimo

4 2.70%
  • Ival Goodman

0 0%
  • Ken Griffey Jr.

31 20.95%
  • Ken Griffey Sr.

6 4.05%
  • Paul O'Neill

3 2.03%
  • Dave Parker

8 5.41%
  • Vada Pinson

33 22.30%
  • Wally Post

3 2.03%
  • Frank Robinson

122 82.43%
  • Pete Rose

64 43.24%
  • Edd Roush

36 24.32%
  • Bobby Tolan

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds All-Time Outfield

Re: Reds All-Time Outfield

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    And if you are just going purely on career accomplishments rather than what the player did in a Reds uniform, then Christy Mathewson, who won exactly one game with the Reds and 372 with the Giants, becomes the greatest pitcher in Reds history. I think you have to go with accomplishments while in a Reds uniform when selecting an all time Reds team, but that's just my opinion.
    Isn't that what I said???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Isn't that what I said???
    Yes it was. My post was intended to be an "amen." I agree with you.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Dunn, Robinson, Pinson

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    If you're going on accomplishments while in a Reds uniform, there's no way Junior ranks ahead of Foster, IMO.
    I read the poll to be the best Reds' all-time outfielders. I did not read into that to mean - "the outfielders that accomplished the most for the Reds while they played for the club". They are different questions: one is qualitative and one is quantitative. I chose the qualitative approach, while you chose the quantitative.
    If you think Foster was a better OFer for the Reds than Griffey, you are entitled to your opinion.

Christy Mathewson pitched for the Reds? I didn't know that.

His last game in MLB, against 3 Finger Brown, in what was likely his last game as well. The advertising was akin to when the Reds called up Stephan Larkin and Pete Rose Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    His last game in MLB, against 3 Finger Brown, in what was likely his last game as well. The advertising was akin to when the Reds called up Stephan Larkin and Pete Rose Jr.
    Stephan was one heck of a basketball player for the Reds charity circuit, unfortunatley for Petey Jr. he couldn't crack the lineup there either.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I went with Davis, Robinson, and Roush. That OF would be amazing defensively, and have power, average, and speed. Thinking basically guys at their prime. Hard to pass on Foster -- he'd be the 4th without question.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Here's a little info on Roush from the Hall of Fame

Bio
    Edd Roush batted .323 over 18 years while impressing fans with his acrobatic catches in center field. He hit over .300 11 consecutive times and won batting crowns in 1917 and 1919, while also leading the Reds to a World Championship the latter season. A swift line-drive hitter who seldom struck out, his career totals included 182 triples and 30 inside-the-park home runs. The willful Roush was an annual spring holdout, once even sitting out the entire 1930 season in a salary dispute.

"Eddie used to take care of the whole outfield, not just center field. He was far and away the best outfielder I ever saw."

— teammate Heinie Groh

Did You Know... that Edd Roush, who used a massive, 46-ounce Louisville Slugger, claimed that he never broke a bat in his big league career?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Logic be damned - I'd want to see Roush, Davis and Robby play together.
    Those are my picks as well. That would be a tremendous outfield. I would have Pinson and Foster as my fourth and fifth outfielders.

What about Pete Rose? Well, I think Pete Rose is one of those players where you could look at him at 3rd, 2nd, and 1st as well. As a Red, he pretty much moved around to play wherever the Reds had a need. I think on an all-time Reds team, you'd have to look at how he matches up with the top players at each of the positions he played and insert him at the position that seems to be weakest as far as all-time Reds go. Given the fact that Barry Larkin and Johnny Bench have C and SS covered, you don't have to worry about the weakest position being one that Rose did not play (not counting P). With Morgan at 2nd, I'd probably have to see how Rose matches up with Groh at 3rd and Perez at 1st. In any case, as far as all-time teams go, the Reds would have a pretty formidable line-up.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Dunn, Robinson, Pinson

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.
    Seriously how do you vote for Dunn?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I read the poll to be the best Reds' all-time outfielders. I did not read into that to mean - "the outfielders that accomplished the most for the Reds while they played for the club". They are different questions: one is qualitative and one is quantitative. I chose the qualitative approach, while you chose the quantitative.
    If you think Foster was a better OFer for the Reds than Griffey, you are entitled to your opinion.

Doesn't quantative lead to qualitative? While playing outfield for the Reds, Foster was a five time all-star outfielder, an NL MVP award winner, he led the majors in HR in 1977 while batting .320 in that same season, and he won 2 world championships. Griffey's done none of those things while wearing the wishbone C on his cap. Griffey has obviously been a better defensive outfielder, but even with that being said, I remeber Foster catching a flyout and gunning a man at the plate in the '75 series for a doubleplay.
    Last edited by Redlegs; 03-17-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post

I took "Reds All-Time Outfield" to mean that we're talking about what they did while they were wearing the uniform.

Mathewson was traded to the Reds on June 20, 1916, along with Edd Roush and Bill McKecknie. He took the mound once for the franchise, a complete game 10-8 win against the Cubs. Then he became the team's manager for a the next two seasons until he tired of Hal Chase throwing ballgames and decided to enlist to go fight in WWI. During training he inhaled mustard gas, which would lead to his untimely death at age 45.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Really....which 19% of you didnt vote Frank Robinson as one of the Reds top 3 outfielders? Identify yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Tough to pick three. I went with Geronimo over Davis for my 3rd because I think he was better defensively. However, if I'm picking the overall better player, then Davis would be the one.
    I'm not with you on this. Eric Davis was amazing in the OF and at the plate. Remember the diving catch in the World Series against the A's. He always got hurt in the OF making amazing plays. Then when he would bat, 27 hrs-80 SBs, 37 hrs- 50 SBs, etc. Geronimo was a great defenders and a good 8th hitter.

The question about judging came up early, so I added this caveat:

The outfielders should be judged only for their time as a Red.

Turn Off Ads?