Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bailey, Votto among today's cuts

Re: Bailey among today's cuts

RE: Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He should have told Jerry he was 35 in Canadian years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Reds should be more afraid he'll turn into Edwin Jackson instead of Dwight Gooden, a demotion tells me they don't think that he's ready to 'pitch" in the Bigs. That probably has nothing to do with his stuff and more to do with his game.
    I think you hit the keyword with 'pitch'. I really think AAA will be a learning experience for Homer. Unlike in AAA, he probably wont be able to blow everyone away with his fastball. He is going to have to locate both his change up and curve, and mix them in well with his fastball to get the more professional type hitters out there.

Re: Bailey, Votto among today's cuts

Will Votto be starting in Triple A?
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Will Votto be starting in Triple A?
    Yes.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Bailey, from what I've heard from him this spring, knows he's going to struggle at times, and he's ok with that. He's going to use that experience to get better. He's not crushed by pitching poorly, and that's important. Most pitchers can't handle that and it ends up breaking them. Bailey has a good head on his shoulders and I think if you start him in the rotation, it does him better than starting him intially in the bullpen.
    I'd like to agree with you, but I find it hard to put so much faith in "what I've heard" this spring. All of my information has come from this forum and its innumerable resources. Yes, that's the best I can do as a Reds fan, but I don't pretend to know what is really going on inside Bailey's head. Let's be realistic.

All we know about Bailey is what "public Bailey" has presented to the media: What he's said literally and what he's implied in doing so. It's fair to say, though, that Bailey, as a top pitching prospect for several years now, knows what to say and how to say it. He knows how to seem like he's got a good head on his shoulders. Whether or not that is actually the case, I think, is very difficult to ascertain from media coverage alone.

IMO, it's dangerous to pretend we know these players or what types of heads they have on their shoulders. Some of the most ridiculous opinions about The Trade came down just because people had "heard" that Kearns was a slacker or FeLo was undisciplined. These rumors about personality ballooned into dogma for people defending Krivsky's crazy move, dogma that unfortunately had very little verifiable basis in fact.

Let's stick to what we know about Bailey for now: he's a young, talented pitcher who throws up to 98 and has a wicked 12-to-6 curve with an emerging change-up. Anything beyond that, IMO, is very difficult to project--especially how this young man will adapt emotionally and socially to the big league game.
    Last edited by RedEye; 03-16-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I just want to say how much I like this board. If you read through this thread, this is just a straightforward and informative thread, pretty well-written, very enjoyable. If I weren't a Reds fan I would be twice as knowledgeable about this team after reading this thread alone than before.

Ok. carry on.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I just want to say how much I like this board. If you read through this thread, this is just a straightforward and informative thread, pretty well-written, very enjoyable. If I weren't a Reds fan I would be twice as knowledgeable about this team after reading this thread alone than before.

Ok. carry on.

Kiss up.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The (possible, depending on your point of view) drawback that I see in pitching Bailey in middle relief in the bigs is that it starts the clock running on his service time toward arbitration and free agency. A cost-conscious club like the Reds wants to get as many of his best and most productive years as a full-time starter as it can.

Assuming he becomes what we all hope he will be, the Reds may not be sure that they can hang on to him once he has options.

Turn Off Ads?