Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey brother, can you spare a catcher?

Hey brother, can you spare a catcher?

I know it's still the first half of the spring training schedule, but Javier Valentin and Dave Ross have seemingly left their glass slippers at the 2005 and 2006 royal balls.

It does not bode well for the team, which has to expect poor production from SS as well. I don't know that the Reds can afford to have two sink holes in the lineup.

So, here's my question, what's Plan B? What do the Reds do about the catching situation if Valentin and Ross fall apart?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey brother, can you spare a catcher?

Don't forget we have a backup plan.. Moeller

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I know it's still the first half of the spring training schedule, but Javier Valentin and Dave Ross have seemingly left their glass slippers at the 2005 and 2006 royal balls.

It does not bode well for the team, which has to expect poor production from SS as well. I don't know that the Reds can afford to have two sink holes in the lineup.

So, here's my question, what's Plan B? What do the Reds do about the catching situation if Valentin and Ross fall apart?

Hey Chad Moeller .333/.400/.444 is still here!!

On that note I had Moeller in a NL only league in 2002 .286/.385 /.467

Doubt that happens again.

Well Chad Moeller is going to save us of course. I really think we should have kept Larue around. It isn't like we really went out and used the money saved from his contract.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

good question, M2.

What are they going to do with Moeller? He has a guaranteed contract, doesn't he? Can he be optioned?

I think the duo's hitting will come around, at least a little. I'm more worried about their lack of catching prowess. LaRue got a lot of flack around here, most of which he brought on himself by his petulance, but the guy was a better catcher than Valentin or Ross.

That's why I was milling over picking up Javy Lopez.

Of course, I would've prefered to keep Larue and trade one of Ross/Valentine.

I know Larue would've had a bad attitude (and it is justified, IMO), but if you somehow could convince him that it's open competition again and he can win his job back..

It made no sense to pay the Royals all that cash to take Larue. Another bad move by Wayne which is overlooked. IIRC, we paid around 3 million to KC, right? Couple that with Stanton and Conine's money and you've got about 7-8 million, which is enough to buy a player that would've actually made a difference.

Heck, worse case, you just use Larue as they plan to use Conine.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

LaRue and Buck are hitting like Roy Hobbs

.333/.368/.944 LaRue

.267/.421/.667 Buck

Wasn't Benito Santiago looking to get back into the league earlier in the offseason? Jim Leyritz was too. Charles Johnson could probably be brought out of retirement. And Javy Lopez is available. These seem like some Reds-like choices.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Javy Lopez is a retired DH who owns catcher gear

First, I would absolutely hate the decision if they decided to go with three catchers again.

1A. Moeller should be cut, and I'm hoping that happens soon.

Second, it's early. I don't think we'll get the same production out of Ross or Valentin that we have in the past but I think the Reds will go to their grave with those two. I don't think there is a "backup plan." The backup plan for Ross is Valentin, and the backup plan for Valentin is Ross.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    First, I would absolutely hate the decision if they decided to go with three catchers again.

1A. Moeller should be cut, and I'm hoping that happens soon.

Second, it's early. I don't think we'll get the same production out of Ross or Valentin that we have in the past but I think the Reds will go to their grave with those two. I don't think there is a "backup plan." The backup plan for Ross is Valentin, and the backup plan for Valentin is Ross.
    I've always assumed Valentin and Ross would turn into a platoon. Yet they don't even look capable of doing that successfully at the moment.

I figure if that happens then it probably triggers another journeyman hunt. Knowing Krivsky's M.O., I figure that will be for a glove guy. Where's Henry Blanco these days?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Javy Lopez is a retired DH who owns catcher gear
    Lopez's receiving skills make Mike Piazza look like Tony Pena behind the plate.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't think the Reds have any other options, they will sink or swim with the Valentin/Ross combo.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I don't think the Reds have any other options, they will sink or swim with the Valentin/Ross combo.
    I agree. If the Reds are in the pennant race in late July and both Valentin and Ross are total sinkholes to the offense, I could maybe see a move made.

I just hope Wayne doesn't give up Cueto for Pierzynski to make that move.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

I just hope Wayne doesn't give up Cueto for Pierzynski to make that move.
    I hope not either, but Pierzynski would instantly become a good whipping boy around these parts!

Turn Off Ads?