Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cormier mentioned as trade candidate

Cormier mentioned as trade candidate

Not exactly earth shattering insight, but it is the first time I've seen a sports writer suggest what we've all been hoping will happen. He's a Philadelphia writer though, and he mixed up Burton and Salmon's names. Anyone have any interest in the guys available?

TICK, TICK, TICK. The Phillies have 2 weeks left in Florida. Their bullpen remains unsettled.

The Phillies are on the clock.

And while it's probably no consolation, they're not the only team looking for relief help.

That's why the scouts section at Scottsdale (Ariz.) Stadium was overflowing earlier this week when Armando Benitez pitched for the Giants. The Mariners and Marlins each had two scouts watching.

The Marlins have also been watching Jorge Julio, of the Diamondbacks.

The Red Sox, who still have no idea who their closer will be, reportedly have been eyeing San Diego's Scott Linebrink, Washington's Chad Cordero and Texas' Akinori Otsuka, although general manager Theo Epstein continues to say he doesn't expect to be able to do "anything big."

It's not hard to see why so many teams are looking for relief. Consider the Padres. The last 2 years, they've been second in the National League in bullpen ERA. Not so coincidentally, they won the division both times.

"I'm a huge believer that a strong bullpen helps you win games," general manager Kevin Towers said. "A weak bullpen is tough on your manager, tough on your starting pitchers. We've put a strong emphasis on putting our bullpen together."

The Padres, by the way, have been impressed by both outfielder Terrmel Sledge and third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff this spring, making it unlikely that Linebrink will be dealt.

So what relievers might be available? Well, if the Reds decide to keep Jared Salmon and Brad Burton, they could move former Phillie Rheal Cormier. The Rockies might trade Byung-Hyun Kim, who, although used as a starter lately, has experience pitching in relief. Veteran Rudy Seanez has looked good for the Dodgers this spring, but doesn't appear to have a spot unless Los Angeles trades another reliever.

And the Rangers still look like a team that could have an excess of bullpen arms. And while they would be reluctant to trade Otsuka, there are already rumblings that they would let go of Rick Bauer or Scott Feldman for a veteran backup catcher. So if the Phillies don't have a spot for Chris Coste when it comes time to set the final roster, would anybody really be surprised to see him go to Texas for a pitcher?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cormier mentioned as trade candidate

Move him! Move him!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

If Bray's shoulder is still sore I think Wayne will wait.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'd give Cormier back to Philly in a hearbeat. I'd throw in Shackelford if the Reds could get JA Happ in return.

On the available list. I like Byung Hyung Kim. I'd go after him for cheap and make him the closer. He wouldn't be great, but a clear choice that would set-up all the other roles would be helpful IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    On the available list. I like Byung Hyung Kim. I'd go after him for cheap and make him the closer. He wouldn't be great, but a clear choice that would set-up all the other roles would be helpful IMO.
    I have been thinking the same thing for the last week or so since I heard Kim was available. His contract is through after this year and he has been a solid closer in the past, and the Rockies will probably just be looking to give him away. Could be worth a shot.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Hardly a week goes by that I don't say Cormier will be moved. Now it has it's own thread!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    If Bray's shoulder is still sore I think Wayne will wait.
    First I've heard that Bray has a sore shoulder. What was in the water in D.C last summer??

This Cormier rumor is good news to me- I'd like to see them keep Burton, start Salmon off in AAA, and bring him up quickly if and when any of the wheezers faulter.

Jared Salmon? Brad Burton? Did they mate?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Plus Cormier had an Arroyoesque love of Philadelphia
    http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/16842065.htm

And yes I do believe Arroyoesque is a word.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Plus Cormier had an Arroyoesque love of Philadelphia
    http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/16842065.htm

And yes I do believe Arroyoesque is a word.
    Is that something like Rubensesque?

That would be a good thing because ... Burton is going to have to be part of the 25 man roster if they want to keep him.

The way he has pitched and with his nasty stuff there is no way he will pass through waivers and why would the A's want to work out a deal. I'm sure they want him back at this point.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    That would be a good thing because ... Burton is going to have to be part of the 25 man roster if they want to keep him.

The way he has pitched and with his nasty stuff there is no way he will pass through waivers and why would the A's want to work out a deal. I'm sure they want him back at this point.
    You're probably right about the waivers. As for the A's, both teams owe the other a PTBNL as a part of the Saarloos trade. I wonder if it was pre-determined that Burton would be the guy if he didn't make the team.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Please let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You're probably right about the waivers. As for the A's, both teams owe the other a PTBNL as a part of the Saarloos trade. I wonder if it was pre-determined that Burton would be the guy if he didn't make the team.
    I am pretty sure he would still have to pass thru waivers before a trade could be made that would allow the Reds to send him out.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is that something like Rubensesque?
    No that would be davidwellsesque.

Turn Off Ads?