Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Babyproofing your home

Babyproofing your home

I am the proud mom of a 9 mth old little girl who just learned how to crawl, and is finding out that she can explore now. So, my husband and I need to do the dreaded babyproofing in our house. This is our first child, so we haven't had to do this before. I know the basic things that need to be done, such as cabinet & drawer locks, outlet covers, door knob covers, toilet locks, etc. But, I was hoping that maybe some experienced parents may be able to offer some advice on things that they have come across that the average person may not think of. Also, if you have any recommendations of specific brands or types of locks, etc that work best, I would be very appreciative. A bit more info that may be useful....we have a single story house, so there are no stairs to deal with....we do not have a pool...no pets.

thanks!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Babyproofing your home

We went with all of the basic stuff you covered and were fine. One thing I don't think you mentioned are clips for the blinds on the windows. Those "pull strings" that hang down from blinds are serious stangulation hazards. Probably don't have to worry about that at 9 months, but 12-18 you might consider it.

Our O.B. told us that the first year for your first baby, everything is in God's hands. He gets them to that point while you're learning to be a parent. We still made numerous calls to poison control, etc. Luckily everything turned out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but we only took care of the cabinet doors and drawers with ties, outlet covers, and when they got older the door knob covers, toilet locks, and clips for the blinds. I'd also heavily suggest investing in a infant seat for the bathtub if you don't have one. Even if you hold them in your hands while you wash them, accidents can happen. We had one that suctioned to the bottom of the tub. The kids loved it and we were at ease while we washed them.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Baby-gate. Even if you don't have stairs, you can block off some areas of the house where you don't want her to roam. Just remember to close them (and tell visitors also).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Any tips for baby-proofing an entertainment center? I'm concerned about my son crawling behind there and getting into the wires. Is there any option other than full-sized baby gates?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Any tips for baby-proofing an entertainment center? I'm concerned about my son crawling behind there and getting into the wires. Is there any option other than full-sized baby gates?

You know, when it came to stuff like that, we did it up, white trash style. I went to Lowe's and had them cut me a couple pieces of plexiglass. I taped it to the back edge of both sides of the entertainment center.

My wife threw a fit. I said "Look, it's going to look trashy for 4-6 months until the baby is old enough to know better, but at the end of the day, I'll sleep well knowing my kid isn't going to strangle himself or get electrocuted."

It stayed up for 5 months, then it came down. We had friends of ours over several times. Only one of them commented on it and he said "that's cool, good idea. Never can be too careful with youngsters..."

I could have cared less if someone actually made fun of me for doing that. That's not what was important.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Sounds like you have all the basics. I was going to mention the blinds cords and baby gates but was beat to it. Baby gates are good for limiting space.

We had heat registers in the floor that young uns liked to drop stuff down to hear it rattle down the ducts. Either close them up or put a piece of screen in them.

Don't leave pet food around. My youngest loved dry dog food (which was OK except for she occasionally barked).

Crawl around on the floor at their level and look for small objects or other booby traps. You basically can't have any loose objects.

Corner guards or bumpers if you have sharp (or not so sharp) corners.

Protruding screw heads or nails in furniture.

And I guarantee they'll find something you would have never thought of in a million years.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 03-16-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Pay attention to the open sky

For your own sanity ...... throw away any Sharpie markers you have in the house for the next 5 years.
    Pots and Kettles

We didn't go crazy. Just baby gates, outlet covers and cleats for the pull strings on the blinds. For our first, we just used the baby gates to limit space and then always kept the baby in the same area with us so that we could keep an eye on him. We weren't quite as productive having to keep one eye on the kid at all times, but we figured that even with all the precautions one could take, kids can still find a way to get into things. The way I am, I would be far too trusting that all those things would actually work. Paying attention to the baby was the best way to avoid mishaps for me. Of course with #2 at 7 months, I'll have to test that theory all over again.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Don't leave pet food around. My youngest loved dry dog food (which was OK except for she occasionally barked).

If you throw out plastic bags (grocery bags etc.), always tie them in a knot first to reduce risk of strangulation. Ok, this is as much for critters who get into your garbage as for children, but it is for kids too. And cut the plastic thingie-things that hold six-packs of soda together so that none of them are circular. This is so birds don't get them caught around their necks and choke.

When she gets old enough (she might be now if she's peek-a-boo age), have her put her hands in the air every time you close the car door so you can see them (and don't slam them in the door).

Keep your pot and pan handles turned into the center of the stove when you're cooking so she can't reach them and pull hot food or boiling water down on herself. Also for your own benefit, not hers, always look inside the oven before you turn it on. When kids start walking a lot of them like to hide things in there.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The better job you do paying attention to them, the less you'll have to secure. We used the plastic drawer locks and cabinet locks with kid #1. By the time #2 came around a few years later, we realized from our experience with #1 that we were able to keep track of what he was up to well enough that fewer plastic locks were necessary.

Some of those baby-proofing measures can be hazardous to the grownups in the house. If you keep a gate at the top of the stairs in your house, you must learn to resist the temptation to step over it - always open it. I almost fell down the stairs a couple of times and learned that the hard way.
    /r/reds

Man, I'm feeling irresponsible for not getting a toilet lock. Whatever that is. We did the outlet covers, the cabinet locks and a baby gate. We also moved anything toxic to the garage shelf, up out of reach.

If you have blinds, you might want to put hooks on the woodwork so that you can hang the strings out of reach.

You'll gradually move every picture, knick knack and other breakable to higher ground, so might as well get on that one right now.

That's about the extent of our baby proofing and neither of our kids got into any trouble.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Man, I'm feeling irresponsible for not getting a toilet lock. Whatever that is.
    So I wasn't just me. I was wondering about the door knob covers also...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Man, I'm feeling irresponsible for not getting a toilet lock.
    Is it so they don't flush things down there? I recall one of my cousins flushed a puppy down the toilet. He didn't go down thank goodness. His little head was sticking out of the hole and he was rescued.
    Pots and Kettles

If you have an attached garage make sure you put up high all gasoline cans, bug spray etc. Alot of people only focus on the house and forget about the garage.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Is it so they don't flush things down there? I recall one of my cousins flushed a puppy down the toilet. He didn't go down thank goodness. His little head was sticking out of the hole and he was rescued.

woy tried to flush a pillow down the toilet.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?