Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 60 Million containers of Deadly Pet food Recalled

Re: 60 Million containers of Deadly Pet food Recalled

As a cat owner I feel your pain and wish Tyson et al the best. Your post alerted me to this problem. Luckily our brands were not listed but your heads up was invaluable. Who says I "waste" my time reading Redszone???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Last week, my parents had to put their 14+ year old dog to sleep because she was very sick. A few weeks ago, the vet told her that her kidneys were not going to last more than 6 months and that they should start preparing themselves. They never thought it may have had anything to do with the food she was eating. Last year she was diagnosed with diabetes, and had lost a great deal of her hearing and even some of her vision. My ma thought that the dog had a mini stroke a few days before they ended up putting her to sleep, but the vet said it wasn't. She never was the same after that and it was a very difficult next couple of days to get through.

When this story initially came out, they didn't really suspect the food, because they hadn't seen the Nutro product being mentioned. However, according to the website, some Nutro products are being recalled. About 6 - 8 weeks ago, my parents started giving their dog the Nutro dogfood in the pouches, rather than just the Nurto dry dogfood. In the last few days, the dog refused to eat anything, which being diabetic, really wasn't very good.

My parents are very upset that this could have potentially had something to do with the dog's death. They babied this dog to no end. She was like a member of the family. They just received her ashes a few days ago.

Anyway, the point of this note, is that possibly, the Nutro product may have had a devastating effect on their dog, so anyone else who may have fed their dog this, may want to really look into this more closely.

Dom - might want to look into this to help with your vet bills.

How are things going with your kitty?

Owners with sickened pets may get help

Procter & Gamble says it will cover the medical expenses of two ill cats; an executive says the company will work with pet owners on a case-by-case basis.

By James Cummings

Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Procter & Gamble Co. pet food division may be taking steps to help pet owners with the expenses associated with caring for animals sickened by pet foods that were recalled last week.

Gay Lynn Bertling of Huber Heights, who was featured in the Dayton Daily News on Tuesday, said she talked with a representative of P&G Pet Care on Monday night before the article appeared.

"She was very upset and sympathetic and said they would do anything they could to help," Bertling said.

Bertling's two cats became ill last week after eating Iams canned cat food of the type that was recalled, and the animals remained very sick Tuesday.

Bertling said the representative from P&G Pet Care, which owns Iams and Eukanuba brands, said the company would cover her cats' medical expenses including paying for them to stay in a veterinary hospital for treatment if necessary.

She said the company asked that she fax readings from veterinary tests so P&G staff veterinarians could confer with the vets caring for Bertling's cats.

The P&G employee who spoke to Bertling referred inquiries to the company's public relations office. Kurt Weingand, the company's executive director for external relations, sent the Dayton Daily News an e-mail saying "P&G Pet Care will work with pet owners individually on a case-by-case basis to handle their individual needs appropriately."

Consumers can reach the company at (800) 882-1591.

Menu Foods Inc., a company based in Ontario, Canada, on Friday recalled some cat and dog foods the company manufactured between Dec. 3 and March 6. An unknown number of cats and dogs have suffered renal failure after eating the foods, and some animals have died.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Thanks, creek.

Though I think Menu Foods is different than P&G, right?

Ours was made by Menu Foods who makes Special Kitty. Really special lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Thanks, creek.

Though I think Menu Foods is different than P&G, right?

Ours was made by Menu Foods who makes Special Kitty. Really special lol...
    Because their production requires specialized equipment, many pet food companies contract with Menu Foods rather than producing "meat and gravy" or "pouch" foods themselves. Although Menu Foods packages nearly all of this type of food, each formula is a proprietary blend specified by the company on the label (Iams for example). I do expect that there is a "house formula" used for big box and grocery store brands.

From what I have read, the problem first showed up in a food trial for a new formula. Because it was a new formula, those involved thought that the formula was to blame, and the trial was halted. Shortly thereafter the problem started to show up in food that was released to the public.

I think it's bacterial, isn't it?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I think it's bacterial, isn't it?
    The cause is unknown as of right now as far as I know, but I haven't had a chance to search for updates in the last couple of days.

CNN.com is saying it was Rat Poison. A news conf is scheduled for later today.

I feel so horrible for all the pets and their owners that have had to deal with this. I could not imagine losing my dog or cats or watching them get so sick.

What a horrible thing.

I think I'm going to throw up.

I was feeding my cats rat poison. Holy cow.

This is a perfect scenario for a class action suit, and I hope all the pet owners here get properly renumerated. What an absolute joke.

Please forward this story on to any jerk who claims that the tort system in this country is out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    This is a perfect scenario for a class action suit, and I hope all the pet owners here get properly renumerated. What an absolute joke.

Please forward this story on to any jerk who claims that the tort system in this country is out of control.
    The problem is going to be in proving where the rat poison came from. I would be willing to bet that the source is from one of Menu Foods' suppliers.

I have personal experience with two incidences of tainted animal food. One was dog food, the other horse feed. In both cases the companies marketing the food were very good about paying the owners for their expenses and the value of the animals lost.

I think I'm going to throw up.

I was feeding my cats rat poison. Holy cow.
    Anyone know whether they think this was intentional sabotage?
    School's out. What did you expect?

They said this chemical isn't used in the U.S.

Probably sprayed on the wheat used in the wheat gluten as rodent control.

They said in some tests there is a 50% mortality rate, yet just 16 dogs and cats have died.

Right.

And I'm Buddy Hackett.

I'm so happy I took my little fella in right away and got him on an IV and fluids.

They said this chemical isn't used in the U.S.

Probably sprayed on the wheat used in the wheat gluten as rodent control.
    I suppose I feel better about it knowing they don't think someone did this on purpose but it still sucks.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?