Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State vs. Xavier - Wow!

Re: Ohio State vs. Xavier - Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But of course Mutaman brings this up because everyone at Wisconsin is a BIOLOGY/CHEMISTRY/NUCLEAR PHYSICS TRIPLE MAJOR.
    Unfortunately everyone at Wisconsin is now practicing their golf swing. Be that as it may I can guarantee you that more than 10% of the Badgers will get a degree. Besides the History of Rock and Roll, the Florida football debacle, the noncall in the Xavier game, and the 10% graduation rate, O$U is making the Big 10 look bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You do realize that the 10% rate involves players who came to the school over a decade ago, right? And that it has nothing to do with the current players, right? I'm sure you do, but why pass on the opportunity to take a cheap shot.

I'm not sure you're point other than being bitter though.

1. History of Rock and Roll-the course is offered to everyone at the university.
    It's offered at IU too, probably Madison and every other campus as well. One of the advantages to big campuses is the large spread of classes available.
    Of course I've yet to figure out why anyone cares what classes Greg Oden or any players are taking.

2. The Xavier no-call? Now it's tOSU's fault that the referees didn't call an intentional foul? Of course no one has pointed out a single instance in the tournament where a player has been given a flagrant in a similar situation.

Sorry to nit pick on what is probably just venting
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    the noncall in the Xavier game

Yep, the whole Big 10 is now wincing after that Xavier "non call." I'd be surprised if they didn't kick OSU out of the conference for doing that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think we should all cut Greg Oden some slack. He had a final exam coming up in "The History of Rock and Roll" and he was a little uptight about it.
    He's also been busy memorizing the lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire" to cram for his World History exam.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sham

X fan here. I don't care about the arguments about the fouls. I just want to sleep. I haven't gotten more than 3 straight hours of sleep since I got back from Rupp.

Help me. Please.

I can't think of too many things more childish than "hating" another team because their fans are homers and biased toward their team. And yes, I've done my share of that silliness. But giving it some thought, it really is silly and immature.

Unfortunately everyone at Wisconsin is now practicing their golf swing. Be that as it may I can guarantee you that more than 10% of the Badgers will get a degree. Besides the History of Rock and Roll, the Florida football debacle, the noncall in the Xavier game, and the 10% graduation rate, O$U is making the Big 10 look bad.
    You are talking about a period of time that saw Randy Ayars lose his job for recruiting thugs and morons. Most of his players ended up transferring, flunking out, or arrested. Jim OBrien was hired to clean things up. In the short term he did, but he also lost one of those players that were in your select group of players from a decade ago to the NBA (Micheal Redd). Then he started slipping from a results perspective, and his NCAA infractions have been documented.

I know you don't like Ohio State, but seriously lighten up.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'm an XU fan and am not the least bit bitter. At first I was but that was because the moment stung so badly. Do I believe the foul should have been called intentional? Yes. But did X have plenty of opportunities not to slowly but surely blow their lead? Yep. Poor tactical choices by the coaching staff led to the loss, not a non-call by the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I know you don't like Ohio State, but seriously lighten up.

I don't dislike O$U, I just think they emphasize the student part of "student/athelete" a lot less than the other schools in the Big 10 and therefore have a competitive advantage. But hey, thats just me.

I like picking on them here because my fellow Reds fans who root for the Buckeyes get so defensive about it. As far as the criteria used to come up with the 10% graduation rate, I assume it was the same criteria for all 64 teams, and O$U came up last.

And as far as "lightening up", hey I'm trying to be funny. This is the best I got. In any event, I like Oden and Conely, Lewis showed me a lot Saturday, and I thought the ref made the right call. Good luck the rest of the way.

As far as the criteria used to come up with the 10% graduation rate, I assume it was the same criteria for all 64 teams, and O$U came up last.
    I know that this has probably been discussed but I just wish we could look at graduation rates at OSU pre Gene Smith and post Gene Smith. Since Gene has arrived, IMO, the focus on academics has been much, much greater with mandatory tutoring hours and study tables. I know both athletes and people that work in the Younkin Career Center (where athletes must report) and I can tell you with certainty that players are there for the required times and are doing their own work.

I had a close friend that worked there (Younkin) and she was verbally abused from an unnamed football player because he was skipping out on his hours expecting them to cover for him (they don't). Needless to say he ended up in trouble with his coaches and had to pay penalties for his actions.

Also, I have a close friend on the coaching staff and he has told me Tressel has 2 full time employees who all they do is follow academics. They do random calls on every football player and make sure they are attending class and they get updates every other week from professors. Not to mention all of this is expected of student staff such as my friend as well.

OSU may still not be doing exceptional in studies like this but an effort is most certainly in place to improve graduation rates and athlete's academic performance. Unfortunately, since studies like this cover many years, the effects won't be seen for awhile.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I don't dislike O$U, I just think they emphasize the student part of "student/athelete" a lot less than the other schools in the Big 10 and therefore have a competitive advantage. But hey, thats just me.
    You are right about one thing. OSU does have an advantage on Northwestern, however saying they have an advantage over any other school in the Big 10 is really stretching it. Can you provide some examples of recruits (in any sport) that have gotten into OSU that wouldn't get into any of the other Big 10 schools besides Northwestern? Frankly, I don't think you have any proof to make that statement. I think you have let the Clarett-ESPN witchhunt cloud your view and combined with your hate for "O$U" you throw out blanket assumptions.

As a matter of fact, time and time again, football recruits that want to commit to OSU are told that they will not get past admissions and they end up committing to other Big 10 schools. (See: Minnesota, Michigan State, Illinois, etc.). Examples? Ernie Wheelright. Jeff Cumberland. Antonio Jerimiah. Brian Gamble. Morgan Williams. Derrel Johnson. Dennis Kennedy. Freddie Lenix. Miles Williams. Ray Williams. Javon Ringer. Gary Russell. DeJuan Morgan. All wanted to come to OSU within the last few years. All were turned away. All signed with other Big 10 and other major D-1 football programs. Even Larry Fitzgerald wanted to attend OSU, but his grades were borderline and he chose to avoid any hassle and signed with Pitt. Funny, there was no gnashing of teeth when he signed there. Hmmm. I wonder why?

You know, the bashing of OSU is getting old around here, but hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    You know, the bashing of OSU is getting old around here, but hey, that's just me.
    If they weren't winning, they wouldn't be such an easy target. Just an OSU fan's burden, I suppose.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    If they weren't winning, they wouldn't be such an easy target. Just an OSU fan's burden, I suppose.
    That pretty much says it all
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Frankly, I don't think you have any proof to make that statement. .
    Gee, having one of the lowest graduation rates of any of the 65 teams in the NCAA tounament seems like a pretty good start. Well, you did beat out Tennessee and Florida A&M.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031201397.html

Turn Off Ads?