Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State vs. Xavier - Wow!

Re: Ohio State vs. Xavier - Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    ALL fouls to stop the clock are "intentional". The refs should not and don't call intentional fouls at the end of the game. Who wants a game to be decided by an intentional foul? And how many times have we seen players hug another player while "going for the ball". So long as the player has the ball, and the foul is not malicious, they won't make the call at the end of the game, and they usually don't make the call when the player doesn't have the ball.

If it were the other way around, and it happened to OSU, I would still feel that way. It is easy for me to say that now, but it is still true.
    Very well said!

...and I agree!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

They just showed the foul and talked about it on CBS. They are agreed, and yes Kellogg is an Ohio State guy, that the refs made the right call.

Kellogg said they could have called an intentional foul, but because of the physical nature of the game and that the refs had been letting them play, it would have been inconsistent and the wrong call.

The other guy said that Oden was going enough for the ball that it shouldn't have been an intentional call.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Oden's foul was hard but he went for the ball.
    I don't think he was going for the ball, he was just trying to get a foul quickly & he chucked him. Probably should've been an intentional IMO, and I even found myself pulling for OSU at the end because I'm a UC fan and I didn't want to face the X fans at work on Monday if they would've won.

Edit: Just saw the replay, he actually did reach in for the ball. He put a little shoulder into it, but I'm not so sure it was an intentional after seeing the replay again.
    Last edited by Redlegs23; 03-17-2007 at 05:01 PM.

After watching it again I still think it was an intentional foul, however, I agree with what Seth Davis said that they would have had to eject Oden if they called it intentional and I don't think that warranted an ejection (even though he fouled out on the play which makes this point irrelevant).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Oden at least made it look like he was going for the ball, therefore, it was not an "intentional" foul. His intent was not to harm Cage (like the Duke player), so it was not a flagrant foul.

It was a hard foul, pure and simple.

Lighty was knocked sideways just before that, and Butler was ran over by Doellman in the OT, with no call. It was "tackle basketball" out there.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I hate Ohio State as much as anyone on here, but I don't think the refs did anything out of the ordinary not calling an intentional foul on Oden. You're never going to see a ref make that kind of call at the end of a close game like that.

Oh well...still plenty more shots for Ohio State to disappoint their fans in a second sport this year. I remain optomistic!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I saw the play in question on a replay, and there was nothing malicious there. It just wasn't. It was doing whatever it took to foul and stop the clock with 9 seconds left. Oden is 7 feet 280 pounds, if he fouls someone, they usually do feel it. An intentional foul there would have been cheesier than kraft mac and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Oh well...still plenty more shots for Ohio State to disappoint their fans in a second sport this year. I remain optomistic!

I think that Kansas and Florida are lurking out there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'm not an X fan. When you throw a player 8 feet backwards from a 2 hand push, that's an intentional foul. If that was Oden who was pushed OSU fans would be having a stroke right now.
    If a Duke player did what Oden did, there would be a website and a youtube video of it and some losers rapping about how Duke sucks.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-17-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    After watching it again I still think it was an intentional foul, however, I agree with what Seth Davis said that they would have had to eject Oden if they called it intentional and I don't think that warranted an ejection (even though he fouled out on the play which makes this point irrelevant).
    Intentional fouls do not warrant automatic ejections. Flagrant fouls do.

IMO, it was intentional. And as someone said earlier, most fouls at the end of games are, but that one was a bit more eggregious than your average stop the clock foul.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'm still surprised X didn't foul OSU after Cage missed the second free throw and not give the Buckeyes even a chance to tie.

What humors me is seeing all of these Xavier fans (I was there) at the game saying how they hate the Buckeyes, when in reality these are probably the same people cheering the Bucks on in football. Go figure. What a great game, great atmosphere, and wonderful effort by Xavier. They have a lot to be proud of. But I still say...GO BUCKS!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

It wasnt flagrant. Intentional? Yes as are all late game stop the clock type of fouls. But i dont believe Oden is a bad person trying to hurt anyone.

To indict Oden because of that rather than look at his whole body of work as a person is rediculous.

I'm an X fan who was crushed after the game (though as a Marshall alum you think I'd be used to losing in hoops by now). The Muskies played a monster game against the #1 team in the land. After reflecting on it for an evening I'm quite proud, though still disappointed. What could have been is quite painful...good luck to the Bucks in the Sweet 16.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    You aren't exactly unbiased against OSU either..........
    Wait...you are accusing a UC fan of rooting for Xavier?!? Do you root for Michigan? I don't think so.

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?