Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State vs. Xavier - Wow!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Ohio State vs. Xavier - Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I think that Kansas and Florida are lurking out there somewhere!
    They have to make it through their brackets first. With the balance in the NCAA, the tournament is better than ever. Anyone can beat anyone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They have to make it through their brackets first. With the balance in the NCAA, the tournament is better than ever. Anyone can beat anyone.
    Agreed. It's been very fun to watch.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    It wasnt flagrant. Intentional? Yes as are all late game stop the clock type of fouls. But i dont believe Oden is a bad person trying to hurt anyone.

To indict Oden because of that rather than look at his whole body of work as a person is rediculous.
    Maybe I missed it but who said Oden was a bad person or trying to hurt someone? It should have been called intentional I think, he extended his arms and pushed the guy. You can't do that, I think he was frustrated for not getting a foul call for him on the put back, but I definitely don't think he's a bad person.

I could care less about Xavier or OSU, I'm just saying what I think.

I had mixed emotions going into the game because I am both an OSU and Xavier fan but definately found myself pulling for Xavier the whole game. I just really thought they were a fun team to watch throughout the year. Sean Miller has done a tremendous job and I hope he is around a while. I think I became more of a Xavier fan after the game. They have an exciting future with Lavender, Burrell, Duncan, Raymond, and Brown returning and Graves getting healthy next year and new recruits like Dante Jackson should make for a pretty good team in the next few years.

Wow, I was at the game...what a game from both ends. I saw the Oden foul but not up close (I was in the upper deck). After watching the replays on TV I'm not really sure what the X fans can cry about. At that point Oden made a hard foul as fast as he could to stop the clock. Whether it appeared intentional is debatable and up to each person's own interpretation. But really, when a team is down at the end of the game every foul could be called intentional if you want to get specific. I don't think a ref would ever call an intentional foul at the end of a game like that unless a player just absolutely wrapped up another player and tackled them. There's no way they call an intentional foul for a shove, absolutely no way. As for Xavier, they played a heck of a game. Nailed a lot of big 3's to pull ahead and caused the Bucks lots of match up problems. I think Oden going out helped OSU on defense because he obviously can't be expected to guard shorter quicker guys that can handle it. He only matches up well with other big horses like say Sims from Michigan. In that regard he will be fine in the NBA because he won't have to guard forwards that can shoot it but now in the tournament it really hurts OSU if a team goes small against them. Hopefully if a similar situation arises Thad can get Lighty some more PT and use Oden more appropriately. Great game though, so glad I made the trip down there and I can't wait for Thursday. And again, heck of a game by Xavier but I honestly don't think there was anyway that an intentional foul would have been called.

It was obvious that the foul was intentional but there is no way that they can call an intentional foul in that situation. I'm not sure what the official writing of the rule is but I think officials across the board need to become more consistent of what is an intentional foul and what isn't. Some call it way too freely while others won't call it at all.

Now if I can just seperate myself from the majority of the Ohio State fans for a few weeks, I can root for OSU to bring home the title.

Incredible clutch plays by Lewis! He seemed so calm and determined those last few minutes of regulation. Definitely an admirable performance. X played the Buckeyes extremely tough and were within 1 FT of winning. Great game, esp by Cage. I thought he played very smart and Miller, aside from the offensive strategy near the end of regulation, proved to be a very good coach (I had not seen much of his team this year).
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    It wasnt flagrant. Intentional? Yes as are all late game stop the clock type of fouls. But i dont believe Oden is a bad person trying to hurt anyone.

I don't either....he's just a beast. Very strong, very big, and an agressive player. Was the foul rougher than neccessary? Probably. However, that was an intense game....both clubs wanted the win, and wanted it badly.

Yeah...let's blame the refs for this one. Doesn't matter that X squandered a nine-point lead in less than three minutes. Doesn't matter that the refs didn't call the foul on Oden prior to his foul. Doesn't matter that they missed a free throw that would have sealed it. Doesn't matter that they couldn't defend Lewis on the final shot. Doesn't matter that they never thought to foul someone in those last three seconds. Nah...let's blame the refs. WE GOT SCREWED!

But...if the shoe was on the other foot...I'd be whining about it, too. That's the wonderful world of sports.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

FWIW, I'm not a Xavier fan.

Whoever said earlier that Oden can apparently get away with murder obvoiusly has not watched a single Ohio State game before yesterday.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I already am sick of the "two angry guys" crying about X vs. OSU...I will admit that when I first saw the Oden foul (sound was down on TV, was listening to the Redlegs)I said "Intentional", and I am an OSU fan...but lets not forget X "spit the bit" in the extra session...

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Wait...you are accusing a UC fan of rooting for Xavier?!? Do you root for Michigan? I don't think so.

There wasn't anything about rooting FOR Xavier, it was rooting AGAINST Ohio State.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I saw the play on YouTube.

Simply put, Oden bumped Cage with his chest first. End of discussion. That's not an intentional foul.

When he extended his arms, it was up to the referee to decide if his intent was to hurt Cage. That's a judgment call, and in a game that was an intense and physical as that one, you can't call that. Both teams were banging, pushing, and shoving all game long.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Whoever said earlier that Oden can apparently get away with murder obvoiusly has not watched a single Ohio State game before yesterday.
    Exactly. Teams have been manhandling/muscling him all year. But that's good. If he can't handle it on the college level, then he'll find it even tougher in the NBA.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?