Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

  1. #1
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    My daughter got her driver's permit yesterday.

    She keeps reminding me to put on my seatbelt; but I tell her that is not prudent in case I need to ditch her and jump clear.

    But I've discovered I'm turning into my Dad when it comes to teaching my kids driving. I'm very thorough, and also a defensive driver. I don't trust any of YOU when I'm on the road.

    She is actually doing pretty darn good though.

    To be continued.....
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Fantastic - another woman driver out on the road :






  4. #3
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Funny stuff!

    I don't like driving in a vehicle with my wife one bit. Not only does she speed, but I found out why I have to replace my brakes so often. She flies up to intersections/stop signs, and then almost slams the brakes. There are hand prints in the passenger side dash from me clutching it.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #4
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,763

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    My 16 year old son, just a few days after that all important birthday, got his driver's license last Friday. My car insurance just went up a few thousand dollars a year. I'm sure the rise in my blood pressure exceeded the rise in my insurance costs.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  6. #5
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,061

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Must be the time of year. My 16 year old daughter is taking her driving test on Thursday. She has had her temps for about 6 months now and she is a pretty decent driver (for 16, that is). She should pass easily.

    This is my second teenager on my insurance bill. Ages 16 and 17 are pretty pricey. Once they turn 18, keep up their grades, have no accidents or tickets, the rates start to decline a bit.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  7. #6
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    My 18 year old son is very apprehensive about getting his driver's license. When he was 16 he said he wanted to wait a year, and he got no argument from me. He then spent the last year, while he was 17, recovering from two surgeries, so he wasn't able to get his license. He turned 18 last month and I told him the other day he needs to study the book to get his permit. I don't understand the boy. His grandparents gave him a really nice (and very clean) '98 Merc Sable last year when they went out and bought a new car, and it's basically sitting in the driveway. I drive it now and then just so it gets driven.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #7
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My 18 year old son is very apprehensive about getting his driver's license. When he was 16 he said he wanted to wait a year, and he got no argument from me. He then spent the last year, while he was 17, recovering from two surgeries, so he wasn't able to get his license. He turned 18 last month and I told him the other day he needs to study the book to get his permit. I don't understand the boy. His grandparents gave him a really nice (and very clean) '98 Merc Sable last year when they went out and bought a new car, and it's basically sitting in the driveway. I drive it now and then just so it gets driven.
    I was sort of the same way. I was more scared of the responsibility than anything. I think I may have been one of the few teens who looked at it as a responsibility though

  9. #8
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I was sort of the same way. I was more scared of the responsibility than anything. I think I may have been one of the few teens who looked at it as a responsibility though
    I think you hit it.... scared of the responsibility. My son doesn't like to involve himself in any behavior that involves risk. And he has seen many local teens here locally, who have been in some pretty bad accidents, and some have lost their lives. That bothers him.

    I had a "heart to heart" talk with him tonight, and he's been studying the book.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #9
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,267

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    My 16 year old son, just a few days after that all important birthday, got his driver's license last Friday. My car insurance just went up a few thousand dollars a year. I'm sure the rise in my blood pressure exceeded the rise in my insurance costs.
    Did your car insurance really go up that much after adding him? That seems a bit high, though I'm not sure what kind of car he's driving and whether or not you guys have full coverage or not.

    When I turned 16 in 1998, I drove a four cylinder sedan, and my insurance was around $900 a year with primarily liability. Granted, I did have a good student discount already deducted from that total. I maintained a clean driving record through my 18th birthday, and I was able to drop my insurance to around $775 a year after turning 18.

    Right now, at age 24 and before the magical age 25 insurance cost drop, I pay $570 a year for insurance on another four cylinder sedan, though that's with liability and comprehensive only instead of full coverage.

    One thing I'd suggest you guys stressing with your kids is making sure they keep their grades up, not only for obvious educational reasons, but also due to the nice good student discount on their car insurance if your insurance company provides that incentive. I graduated college two years ago, and I'm still receiving my good student discount with my insurance. I was able to keep it all the way through college, and when I graduated my insurance company told me I could keep the discount until my 25th birthday since I put up a 3.0+ GPA during my final quarter in school before graduation.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  11. #10
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,791

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

    Right now, at age 24 and before the magical age 25 insurance cost drop, I pay $570 a year for insurance on another four cylinder sedan
    Don't move to metro Boston. Someone you're age with a perfect driving record would be looking at three times that.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  12. #11
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,061

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    When I turned 16 in 1998, I drove a four cylinder sedan, and my insurance was around $900 a year with primarily liability. Granted, I did have a good student discount already deducted from that total. I maintained a clean driving record through my 18th birthday, and I was able to drop my insurance to around $775 a year after turning 18.
    Those are about the same rates I saw when I added my son to our policy when he got his license at 16.

    The sad thing was, that effectively doubled our insurance rates, i.e. my son and one car == my wife and I in 2 cars.

    And like you mentioned, he kept his grades up, no tickets and no accidents (talking to other parents, he seemed in the minority here), and his rate was cut by about 40% at the age of 18.

    One thing that we were a stickler for was he wasn't allowed to drive with friends in the car for 6 months after he got his license.

    And we didn't just turn him loose the day he got his license. We pretty carefully increased the radius of where he could go and the traffic density he'd encounter. Too many people just hand the keys to their kids and say "good luck" and let them go wherever.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  13. #12
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Did your car insurance really go up that much after adding him? That seems a bit high, though I'm not sure what kind of car he's driving and whether or not you guys have full coverage or not.
    Horses, minus the rig, are not cheap to insure in West Virginia.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,636

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Baron, if your premium went up as much as you say it did, you need to get ahold of your agent pronto. I see alot of teenaged drivers added to policies and there is no way it should go up that much unless as someone mentioned above, you've got him on a new sportscar or something like that.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  15. #14
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    My dad taught me to drive like everyone out there was trying to kill me. It's a great technique.

    There won't be any oil left when my kids are old enough to drive. They'll be asking me for the keys to the pod or something.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  16. #15
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    His grandparents gave him a really nice (and very clean) '98 Merc Sable last year

    And you think he doesn't want to drive because he's cautious? I guess there's an upside; they could have given him a white Buick Century...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25