Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds name Harang Opening Day starter

Reds name Harang Opening Day starter

Reds pick Harang to start Opening Day
    Righty's first Reds opener last year was his worst start, a 16-7 loss to Chicago Cubs.
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, March 18, 2007

FORT MYERS, Fla. Bronson Arroyo is the cover boy on the 2007 Cincinnati Reds Media Guide, arms folded across his chest and long, blond hair touching the collar of his uniform jersey.

Because he was the Reds only All-Star and because he was voted the team's most outstanding pitcher by the Cincinnati baseball writers not discounting his movie star looks and his guitar-playing concerts he would look fine on the cover of GQ or Esquire.

That, though, doesn't earn him the Opening Day pitching assignment April 2 against the Chicago Cubs.

That prestigious appearance will be made by Aaron Harang for the second straight year. It is against the same team and he hopes it turns out better than last April's public hanging.

Harang gave up five runs in the first inning and it got worse from there en route to a 16-7 Reds defeat. It was Harang's worst start of the season, perhaps the worst of his career.

But he righted himself to go 16-11, tying for the most victories in the National League, with a 3.76 ERA and a league-best six complete games, earning him a second opportunity, a chance to make it right.

"It can't be any worse than last year at least I hope it can't," said Harang.

Unlike the outgoing and flamboyant Arroyo, Harang is low-key, a vanilla kind of guy, until he steps on the mound, which is where he will be on Opening Day at Great American Ball Park, hoping to hold the Cubs to fewer than five runs for thegame, let alone the first inning.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...807harang.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds name Harang Opening Day starter

Harang has movie star looks, as well.

(Of course, the movie star in question is Lon Chaney.)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He should be.

I'm shocked
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Harang has movie star looks, as well.

(Of course, the movie star in question is Lon Chaney.)
    I am not sure who Lon Chaney is but if he is the guy that played Sloth in the Goonies they I agree with you.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

The good...
    In 2006 Aaron Harang became the 1st REDS Opening Day starter to have a winning record since the 2000 season. That is a feat in itself.

2000: Pete Harnisch, 8-6
    2001: Pete Harnisch, 1-3
    2002: Joey Hamilton, 4-10
    2003: Jimmy Haynes, 2-12
    2004: Cory Lidle, 7-10
    2005: Paul Wilson, 1-5

The bad...
    Pete Harnisch was oft-injured during 2000. He only threw 131 innings that season. The year after his O.D./winning record season... he hurt his elbow. His last start that year was on May7, 2001. As it turned out it was his last start in MLB. I am not a believer in the karma thing, just saying...

The ugly...
    Well... you thought I'd say Harang, didn't you? Not the most Hollywood-lookin' guy out there, right? Nah... I think it is beautiful for REDS fans when he toes the rubber. My vote for ugly is this year's Opening Day opponent, those ugly Chicago Cubs. And their ugly fans!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Lon Chaney was the Wolfman of Universal Pictures fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    2000: Pete Harnisch, 8-6
    2001: Pete Harnisch, 1-3
    2002: Joey Hamilton, 4-10
    2003: Jimmy Haynes, 2-12
    2004: Cory Lidle, 7-10
    2005: Paul Wilson, 1-5
    Don't ever post that list again. Ever.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Lon Chaney was the Wolfman of Universal Pictures fame.

That was his son Lon Chaney Jr. That's a pic of the Dad.

I hope Aaron fairs better during this year's OD then last. He, and the weather, ran us out around the 7th inning.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?