Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does Reds baseball mean to you?

Re: What does Reds baseball mean to you?

Having a near-all Hall-of-Fame lineup with a Gold Glove or MVP at every position, one Ace pitcher, and a dominant bullpen.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds baseball is my life. As a kid, I always dreamed of playing for them one day. Obviously that didn't happen so now I have set my goals to moving to Cincinnati in the next couple years and purchasing season tickets every year. I love this team.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-19-2007 at 06:48 PM.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

In May of 1990, the Reds were playing the Cubs in a weekend series. The Reds fell behind 5-0 early in the game (Scott Scudder started I believe) and my buddy and I were watching until we left to go meet another friend to go bowling. We bowled every Friday night but I always took my radio with me so I could listen to the game (I didn't miss a game either on TV, radio or in person from May of 1985 until July 1998, man that was a bad day when my streak ended, but I digress) and the Reds started coming back and had tied the game by the 5th or 6th. The Cubs had the lead in the 8th inning when Sabo came to bat with the bases loaded and 2 outs. The bowling alley had the game on a TV up near where you got your shoes and a group of us had gathered around the TV, when Sabo hit a ball in the gap to clear the bases. All of us, complete strangers, erupted into a loud cheer and we all high-fived and it was just kind of a "perfect" moment. None of us knew each other but we all knew baseball and the fun that is involved when your team is playing at their absolute peak. I will never ever forget that night as long as I live. Thats what Reds baseball is about to me.

There's nothing better than kicking back on Friday night with a pizza and a Reds game. And draft day might be the best day of the year.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I've enjoyed reading through the posts, and I feel very much the same way.

Let me just put it this way: when I was a lad and learning my directions, my pop saw that I learned it much more quickly when he substituted "Left fielder" and "right fielder" for left and right (you know- "where does the left fielder play?). I still think of my left and right that way, and it always makes me think of baseball, of the Reds, and my dad, who passed away two years ago, and with whom I spent so much time watching and talking about Reds baseball with. During my rebellious teenaged years, when I was such an idiot, Reds baseball was about the only thing we could talk about. In some ways, baseball is life, eh?
    Last edited by Always Red; 03-19-2007 at 09:25 PM.
    sorry we're boring

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Reds baseball is like having one of those "naked-at-school" dreams; it's consistently embarrassing, but it's your body, like it or not.
    sorry we're boring

I remember my high school days cruising through our local Thriftway/Hardee's parking lot with my buddy trying to pick up chicks in his four door nova. His car only had AM radio. Needless to say, we didn't have much success as we'd whistle at some girl only to have the Ole' Lefthander in the background........"the break even pitch to Sabo......"

We both eventually purchased vehicles with FM sterios and now we're both married but I wouldn't trade those days for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I remember my high school days cruising through our local Thriftway/Hardee's parking lot with my buddy trying to pick up chicks in his four door nova. His car only had AM radio. Needless to say, we didn't have much success as we'd whistle at some girl only to have the Ole' Lefthander in the background........"the break even pitch to Sabo......"

We both eventually purchased vehicles with FM sterios and now we're both married but I wouldn't trade those days for nothing.
    You didn't marry your cruisin' buddy, did ya?

I kid. :
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I remember my high school days cruising through our local Thriftway/Hardee's parking lot with my buddy trying to pick up chicks in his four door nova.
    I'm really tempted to make this my signature.

What, praytell, is this Thriftway/Hardee's combo?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

That almost sounds like Norwood.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

That sentence is poetry. Nobody's foolin'.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

What does Reds baseball mean to me?

Everything. It's summer. It's driving to Milwaukee to see them lose 11-0, but never leaving early because I had that much faith in the offense. It's going to Wrigley and having peanuts thrown at me, only to see Eric Milton absolutely OWN Carlos Zambrano on the mound and basepaths. It's dropping $300 to see the first game ever at GABP. Reds baseball is becoming a fan because your favorite player goes there, and now wishing your favorite player would just go away. It's talking to Brandon Phillips just days after he was traded to the Reds. It's talking to Hal McCoy in a random hotel in Houston before seeing Elizardo Ramirez pitch out of his mind. It's ever single time I wear a Reds shirt to school somebody asking me why I am a Reds fan.

What is Reds baseball to me? It's everything.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

It's the feeling that your rooting for not only the Reds, but the whole pastime.

It's watching the highlight of Pete run over a catcher in the All-Star Game and still getting excited about it.

It's getting chills when you here "This one belongs to the Reds"

It's rolling your eyes everytime you see Fisk waving the ball fair.

I's having numerous threads on a message board about the new uniforms
    Witty signature.

Its trading Claude Osteen, Curt Flood and Mike Cuellar and keeping Howie Nunn

I'm 43 and have been a Reds fan all my life. When I think back on all them years, what sticks out to me is listening to Marty and Joe on the radio. Collecting Reds players baseball cards. Making the occasional trip to Cincy with my mom and dad and later taking my wife and kids down. Been living out of state for awhile now and haven't even seen the new ball park but hope to make it back one of these years.

Turn Off Ads?