Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds still pursuing pitching, Jorge Julio a possibility but not likely

Reds still pursuing pitching, Jorge Julio a possibility but not likely

Found these interesting blurbs:

Byung-Hyun Kim hurt his trade value with Friday's meltdown. He is not the only starter on the market, either, with Boston likely to move Kyle Snyder. Cincinnati, the Mets and Texas are all poking around for another starter.
    http://test.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5462489

Asked if he wants to be a closer, Julio has a one-word answer: “Yeah.”

Yet Julio, a part-time closer for the D-Backs last season but behind Jose Valverde this spring, said he is not fazed by reports that teams in need of a closer – Florida, San Francisco, Cincinnati – have scouted him this spring.

“I don’t care. I play baseball. I want to play baseball. It is just a rumor,” Julio said.

The D-Backs have scouted Florida and could have an interest in Marlins’ 22-year-old right-hander Yusmeiro Petit, obtained by the Marlins from the Mets two years ago. Petit struggled in the Marlins’ bullpen last season, his first in the majors, but has a strong minor league track record.

The D-Backs will not pay any of Julio’s $3.6 million salary this season if traded, making Cincinnati an unlikely trading partner.
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/86010
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Reds still pursuing pitching, Jorge Julio a possibility but not likely

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So you're saying that all those rinky-dink moves that the Reds made to lock up Weathers, Stanton and Cormier have come back to bite them when they have the chance to acquire a guy who can actually retire MLB hitters?

Julio as the closer would make me feel a lot better about this team.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

If Julio's K/9 carries over, he'd be a welcome addition to the bullpen. But if it drops down at all, he'll be allowing way too many baserunners to be an effective closer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I can't see Cast not opening up the wallet for 3.6 million. If the Reds have scouted him they are interested salary or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If Julio's K/9 carries over, he'd be a welcome addition to the bullpen. But if it drops down at all, he'll be allowing way too many baserunners to be an effective closer.
    Agreed. He walks a lot and gives up HR, but I like a power arm for a change and Coffey is the only better pitcher in the pen.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed. He walks a lot and gives up HR, but I like a power arm for a change and Coffey is the only better pitcher in the pen.
    How much of an upgrade would he be over Burton and Salmon though.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    How much of an upgrade would he be over Burton and Salmon though.
    Considering they're unknown quantities and could be totally useless, I'd say he represents a massive "upgrade" over pre-existing awful known quantities (Stanton, Cormier).

I was dying for the Reds to make a move for Julio last season when he was getting shelled at Shea.

I'll say it again though...how much time must a man spend on the bullpen?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

I'll say it again though...how much time must a man spend on the bullpen?
    If it's time spent improving the bullpen, I don't care.

Great stuff ... poor command

At his salary I certainly wouldn't give anything of value for him.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I would love to have Julio as long as we don't have to give up much in terms of prospects to get him. Maybe a Szymanski or something like that for Julio would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Your K/9 doesn't mean much if you walk a lot. He is a rich mans Estabon Yan. Seriously, this guy would be a huge dissapointment. There is a reason he is being shopped. Your BB/K ratio is a much more important ratio stat than K/9.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Your K/9 doesn't mean much if you walk a lot. He is a rich mans Estabon Yan. Seriously, this guy would be a huge dissapointment. There is a reason he is being shopped. Your BB/K ratio is a much more important ratio stat than K/9.
    You need both, but K/9 is more important. I'd say a good K/9 with a mediocre K/BB is much more important than a mediocre K/9 and a good K/BB. You don't want a lot of balls in play, especially if you're a reliever.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?