Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ken Rosenthal says Griffey to start in right

Ken Rosenthal says Griffey to start in right

When the Reds' Ken Griffey Jr. makes his Grapefruit League debut, it will be in right field, according to a source with knowledge of his situation. Griffey, recovering from a broken left hand, does not mind shifting from center to right, the source said. However, Griffey was under the impression that the Reds would delay their decision until midway through spring training while attempting to acquire a legitimate center fielder. Instead, he learned at the start of camp that he would be in right.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6584822
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ken Rosenthal says Griffey to start in right

Instead, he learned at the start of camp that he would be in right.
    I believe I had this one pegged all along. We can all now stop with the Wayne/Narron don't have the stones to tell him what to do talk.

This is an excellent move. The question now becomes, who starts in CF on opening day? Hamilton, Freel, or Denorfia or do we try to acquire somebody else?

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here, but is there a rift developing between management and Junior? The words exchanged between Junior and Narron through the media certainly were not "friendly".
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

We'll see when he plays

Go Gators!

I get the feeling that a rift may be devolping between Griffey and Narron/Krivsky. I hate to start something out of nothing and we may be doing that by even bringing up this question.

Yet that doesnt change the feeling I have about this whole thing. I dont know I hope I'm wrong, I have just had a weird feeling about Junior all spring. Things just dont seem right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I get the feeling that a rift may be devolping between Griffey and Narron/Krivsky. I hate to start something out of nothing and we may be doing that by even bringing up this question.

Yet that doesnt change the feeling I have about this whole thing. I dont know I hope I'm wrong, I have just had a weird feeling about Junior all spring. Things just dont seem right to me.
    Agreed.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Do you think the emergence of Josh Hamilton has hurt Griffey. Griffey could be thinking, "Hey, this kid is playing like I did when I was 24. I don't like this."

I feel like he might get a taste of old time baseball. Back in the day, when a Josh Hamilton came along, the old timer (Griffey) would be sent to the bench, traded, or sent off to work at the gas station. I think Griffey might feel a lack of job security. I know his $12+ mil contract might say otherwise, but he has to be feelin some pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Do you think the emergence of Josh Hamilton has hurt Griffey. Griffey could be thinking, "Hey, this kid is playing like I did when I was 24. I don't like this."

I feel like he might get a taste of old time baseball. Back in the day, when a Josh Hamilton came along, the old timer (Griffey) would be sent to the bench, traded, or sent off to work at the gas station. I think Griffey might feel a lack of job security. I know his $12+ mil contract might say otherwise, but he has to be feelin some pressure.
    Why would he? If he was told he was going to right when he arrived at spring training, why would Hamilton doing well now be affecting him? It's not like he is endager of losing his starting job or anything.

Nah, I believe Junior's wrist prevents him from playing. He HAS to see that this is an improving baseball team. It's not like he loses money if he switches. Despite what rotoworld says, he will be an excellent corner outfielder that will help this team tremendously in 2007. There is no difference in what the Reds would be doing and any other team in th MLB given Ken's age. People just like to entertain subplots in professional sports and turn them into pro wrestling angles. It's the dark side of conjecture.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 03-19-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I don't think Hamilton's presence makes that big a difference to how the Reds or Ken Griffey Jr. views the CF status, other than confidence that they have another player who defensively can play the position besides Freel and Denorfia.

Josh Hamilton is a Rule V player who is riding a hot start to spring -- thoroughly unproven at the AA level, much less the major league level. I love the story, Roy Hobbs allusions and all, as much as the next guy, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that he probably has a better shot of flirting w/ .200 for the season than not.

He's a good story, a good kid, and he might be a great thing for the Reds -- but to count on him to be anything other than a wild card once the games count is a fools errand, IMO.

I don't think he factors that heavily into Griffey's thinking at all.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

according to a source with knowledge of his situation.

Ah yes the infamous ''source''.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    according to a source with knowledge of his situation.

Ah yes the infamous ''source''.
    That the same one who was positive that Beatie was the next GM?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't think Hamilton's presence makes that big a difference to how the Reds or Ken Griffey Jr. views the CF status, other than confidence that they have another player who defensively can play the position besides Freel and Denorfia.

Josh Hamilton is a Rule V player who is riding a hot start to spring -- thoroughly unproven at the AA level, much less the major league level. I love the story, Roy Hobbs allusions and all, as much as the next guy, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that he probably has a better shot of flirting w/ .200 for the season than not.

He's a good story, a good kid, and he might be a great thing for the Reds -- but to count on him to be anything other than a wild card once the games count is a fools errand, IMO.

I don't think he factors that heavily into Griffey's thinking at all.

I don't know. I was honestly just throwing that out there. I think he might be slightly intimidated by JH's presence. Maybe he and Dunn are becoming great friends and we are having another "best friends" jealousy (like ARod and Jeter, or Kearns and Dunn).

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here, but is there a rift developing between management and Junior? The words exchanged between Junior and Narron through the media certainly were not "friendly".
    Even if there is some sort of "rift" or bad feelings on Jr's part I don't care and will side with Narron. He's the manager, and it's his decision to make, as well as his job on the line. And I have always respected Jr, but if he were to make a scene over this I'd lose some respect for him. It's what's best for the team and not Jr.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Worth The Wait

Ahh.....I really just wish the Junior thing would fade away....

We have what I consider a fairly young team, with plently of promising players. Perhaps I am viewing the Reds through rose colored glasses due to our fabulous spring, but I'm pretty excited about the club right now.

I just think the whole Junior situation kind of bogs everything down. I'd be just as happy right now to go with Dunn, Hamilton, and Deno/Freel in the OF. Caveat is 100% correct in his assessment of Hamilton, but I am willing to ride him and give him a legitimate chance.

I guess the biggest problem I have with the Junior situation at this point is the risk vs. reward. I'm just not sure that we stand much to gain anymore. Even if he gets 100% healthy for a prolonged period, I'm just not sure he's capable of producing much anymore-- at least not consistently. And then again, what are the chances he stays healthy?

I just see this developing into yet another "when Junior comes back/gets healthy.........." scenerio. And if there is now some tension as others are speculating, then I'm really going to get sick of it.

I really just wish it would go away.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Interesting. Who exactly was Junior expecting us to get for CF I wonder?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?