Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salmon and Shackelford sent to AAA

Salmon and Shackelford sent to AAA

Just came up on the team press notes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Salmon and Shackelford sent to AAA

Discouraging about Salmon, but inevitable given the option situation.

On a related note, Hal McCoy says:

"This could be the scenario. Belisle into the rotation. Candidate Kirk Saarloos to the bullpen, where he has experience. Candidate Bobby Livingston to the minors as insurance because he has options."

It's all about who has options left. It breaks all ties.

Man Pills

I wouldn't be surprised to see Saarloos and Belisle splitting time in the rotation slot--neither guy is known for durability, and neither has shown they have the ability to throw many innings as a starter, so I suspect they'll alternate as the swing 4/5th guy in the rotation.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Does that mean Lohse still has his spot in the rotation. Performance aside, isn't he dealing with an injury?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Does that mean Lohse still has his spot in the rotation. Performance aside, isn't he dealing with an injury?
    He pitched on Saturday against the Sox and looked healthy.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Ahhhh, so the Reds are going to go with the "scrappy vet" lineup for the month of April and half of May until they dig themselves a hole. Then, changes will be made and the people that deserved to make the team out of spring training will be brought up.

I know this has been a long standing baseball tradition for a lot of teams, but I hate it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

It's certainly pleasant to consider for the first time in recent memory we're (potentially) frustrated that we are sending good pitchers down to AAA instead of being (definitely) frustrated that we are keeping bad pitchers up

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    It's certainly pleasant to consider for the first time in recent memory we're (potentially) frustrated that we are sending good pitchers down to AAA instead of being (definitely) frustrated that we are keeping bad pitchers up
    I think it's a little of both actually.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think it's a little of both actually.
    Yep. Same as it ever was...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That leaves Burton and Coutlangus as the sleepers for the bullpen.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

As a converted outfielder, Coutlangus' pitching has progressed well, and I think he will be a major league guy. This year, my guess is he is a lefty insurance policy in case Bray doesn't come back in time. I expect Cout to be in AAA.

With Burton's emergence, Salmon had no chance, really. Even with these demotions Reds still have too many relievers, so some maneuvering still left to go.

Even considering that the 5th spot presently will go to either Belisle or Saarloos (or be shared by them), considering the six pitchers in our rotation mix, we've got an average age of 29.

Regarding the "oldsters", I don't think Cormier will be here long (if he's even here by Opening Day). That leaves Weathers and Stanton as the only old-timers in the pen (until, and if, Guardado comes back). Otherwise, all of the remaining folks on the 40 man roster are in their 20's. Now Hermanson, Santos and Wilson are still in the running for spots, but I think Wilson loses out and I think Santos only makes the club if he continues lights out.

I think it's very clear that we've got a plethora of pitchers for the first time in a long time. We are a far cry from the pathetic group we had last year. We're certainly not looking at the "scrappy vet" overall for the pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    With Burton's emergence, Salmon had no chance, really.
    Burton is only a year younger than Salmon, but hasn't pitched above Double-A, and his one season at that level was mediocre.

Ah, spring training -- when 3 good weeks can erase all past performance.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Ah, spring training -- when 3 good weeks can erase all past performance.
    There's quite a bit of that going around this year.

Turn Off Ads?