Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This Hermanson thing is a ...

This Hermanson thing is a ...

joke.

HE has never spent one full season as a closer. Has back problems that were not fixed, is closing in on 35 and has a fastball that tops out at about 85-86.

Making him the closer is a surefire recipe for failure. His 2005 was driven by an fluky BABIP, he didn't miss bats and yet ... I'll stop there.

Reds closer to having a closer
    Healthy Hermanson an appealing option
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Reds aren't going to make any announcement, but the feeling in camp is that they've found their closer.

The question about Dustin Hermanson was whether his back was sound. Through three outings, several bullpen sessions and one very tough play at first, his back has been fine.

If Hermanson can be what he was in the 2005 - when he saved 34 games and had a 2.04 ERA with the Chicago White Sox - one of the biggest questions about the Reds will be answered.

"It would be huge for us," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

Heretofore, the Reds have talked about using a combination of David Weathers and Mike Stanton in the closer role.

"That's still a pretty good combination," Narron said. "Their role just might be different."

Narron talked a bit about what a team wants in a closer Sunday.

"You've got to have talent, you've got to be a guy that has the intangibles and wants to pitch the ninth inning," Narron said.

Hermanson, a 34-year-old right-hander, qualifies on all counts - particularly the "wanting the ball" part. He wants the ball, and he wants to attack hitters.

"All I do is think intensity as a closer," he said. "I like watching guys throughout the game, and I analyze what they've been doing. You've got to be smart out there."

"I think intensity will get you through a lot of situations. That's one of the things you can't teach is intensity," Hermanson said.

Hermanson faced his toughest test Saturday. The Red Sox sent up Kevin Youkilis, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz against him. He got all three on flyouts.

"I'm recovering from this little (cold) that I've got. I know I'm not going to overpower people," he said. "I went nice and easy and let the ball run for me."

That's basically Hermanson's style. He throws a split-finger and a slider.

"Let them see it over the middle; by the time it gets there, it's on their hands," Hermanson said. "That's what happened. Their eyes get big and they jam themselves. I'm still learning how to pitch. You throw that ball down the middle and let it run somewhere, it's amazing."

Hermanson has a wealth of experience. He has started, set up and closed. Hermanson went 14-11 with a 3.13 ERA for Montreal in 1998 and 14-13 with a 4.45 ERA for St. Louis in 2001 as a starter.

His career path has come full circle. He was a closer in the minors and at Kent State. In fact, he never started a game in the minors. But the Expos made him a starter in 1997.

He remained a starter until 2002. His first extended time as a closer came in 2004 for the San Francisco Giants. He saved 17 games that year.

His breakout year was 2005 with the White Sox.

But he always had the closer mentality.

"Even when I was starting, I was pitching every inning like it was the ninth," he said. "I'd get to the fifth and I'd be (exhausted). It took me a while to learn to keep a little bit in the reserve tank as a starter."

You don't do that as a closer.

"When you close, you've got to let it all out and then be ready for the next night," he said. "It's a little easier coming out of the pen because you don't have to wait four days to redeem yourself.

"That's what I like about closing: You're going to be out there the next day."

One of the reasons Hermanson signed with the Reds was a chance to close, but that was not the only reason. He's from Springfield, Ohio.

"Cincinnati is a place I was born and raised, went to games," Hermanson said. "My dad, who is in heaven, would love to see me play for the Reds.

"I'm a spiritual guy. I look to God and have him guide me to where I'm supposed to go. This just felt right."
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Hermanson thing is a ...

Looks like John Fay copied Hal McCoy.

Thank goodness for Rosecrans.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Makes me gloomy like the weather to think they are even considering him for closer. Send him to AAA and let him prove he is healthy and see if his velocity comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Has back problems that were not fixed, is closing in on 35 and has a fastball that tops out at about 85-86.
    I haven't seen any articles that discuss his velocity. Are the reports indicating his fastball is really topping out at 86? If that's the case, why would he even be in the discussion for the closer job? Do they think he'll be able to add 5-6 mph as he gets stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I haven't seen any articles that discuss his velocity. Are the reports indicating his fastball is really topping out at 86?
    I watched the game on Saturday. Burton's slider and splitter were harder than Hermanson's fastball which was 83-86 in his outing. The gun wasn't slow because everyone else was throwing where you thought they should be.

I haven't seen any articles that discuss his velocity. Are the reports indicating his fastball is really topping out at 86? If that's the case, why would he even be in the discussion for the closer job? Do they think he'll be able to add 5-6 mph as he gets stronger?
    Veteran presence.
    Knows how to play the game.
    Been there before.

I know it's getting old joking and saying these things over and over again...but it's old hearing them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I watched the game on Saturday. Burton's slider and splitter were harder than Hermanson's fastball which was 83-86 in his outing. The gun wasn't slow because everyone else was throwing where you thought they should be.
    That's pretty sad. The Reds must think he can add a few mph to his fastball then.

That's pretty sad. The Reds must think he can add a few mph to his fastball then.
    Problem is, he needs to add about 5 MPH to it just so he can compete with David Weathers fastball....

I don't like where this Hermanson thing is headed either, especially if keeping him means losing a prospect like Burton. I keep hearing that he was the closer for the White Sox in 2005 but the difference maker in that pen, especially down the stretch was Jenks. I'm not so sure they win it all w/o Jenks.

I can live with a junk balling closer but not 84 mph junk balling. This isn't a Bob Wickman we're dealing with here. This is going to lead to a lot of sniffing glue during 9th innings for us Reds fans. Is this all the better they can judge talent?
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 03-19-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Good grief, as the closer?

He's the last guy I'd want to see heading out to finish a game.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Good grief, as the closer?

He's the last guy I'd want to see heading out to finish a game.
    C'mon, the last guy?

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Yes..I'd rather see Graves.
    Go Gators!

Krono, that's insane. I would rather see you pitch than Graves...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Krono, that's insane. I would rather see you pitch than Graves...
    If only because that meant I wouldn't have to physically look at Danny Graves....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'd love the job but one problem, I'm in my 20's, so that's out.

How bout RFS? he's a crafty vet
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?