Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Reds baseball mean to you?

What does Reds baseball mean to you?

Reds baseball was a big part of my childhood and has always been a huge part of my life. Opening Day is right up there with Christmas for me. After a full day of playing baseball or riding bikes with my neighborhood buddies, most all of my summer nights were spent listening to Marty & Joe on our front porch as our next door neighbor was doing the same. It was like having surround sound before it was available! Going to the 580 gift shop and heading on down to Riverfront Stadium was a real treat, and I look forward to continuing the tradition with my child when the time comes.

I lost my Dad to cancer last August. I remember the very day we found out what his illness was, he looked at me from his hospital bed and said, "Are the Reds on the tube tonight?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Here's to everyone enjoying the 2007 season. God bless & Go Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What does Reds baseball mean to you?

I agree with you! The Reds were an incredible bond between my father and I, and thank goodness still are. We didn't agree on most things, but Reds baseball has always been a constant. As much of a dump Riverfront/Cinergy was at the end, I called my dad and we talked with sadness when it was imploded because of the memories it held for both of us. One of my earliest memories is the 1972 World Series against Oakland when my mom would make me go to bed, and my dad would wait and get me up to watch it once mom was asleep!

To me Reds baseball means that deep down, things really aren't that different than they were when I was a kid. Sure, the team isn't nearly what that one was (and it never will be), but April still means the same thing to me after 41 years- baseball season is upon us; summer is coming.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds baseball is a part of my life....it always has been, and always will be. It'll be different when Marty finally retires, just as it is since Joe no longer is full time.

However, I can't think of anybody better to take over than his son......it may be the best hire Bob Castellini has made, and a move than never would have happened if Carl Lindner still owned the team.

Reds baseball means to me that every Christmas or birthday I know I am getting something Reds related. Reds baseball also means that I have WLW on the radio just as much as any other station just to keep up on the latest Reds news. Reds baseball also means I will have a not real happy wife for the next summer as the games are piped thru our house with our new recently installed home radio/intercom system. Being able to walk from room to room and never miss a part of the game is just to sweet.

I also just got back from the mall and had a blast outfitting my 8 month old son with a Reds hat and sweatsuit. Usually I am bored to tears buying clothes for him but I was totally possesed with buying just the right hat and sweatsuit for him. My wife gave me very strange looks as I went thru rack after rack looking for the right size or look. So I guess today Reds baseball was the beginning of a special bond for my son and I!!
    Last edited by George Anderson; 03-18-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

It is scary...but all five of your posts equal my views concerning how much Reds baseball means to me almost to a tee....the only difference being that my father did not have the interest in baseball that I did...but he would talk about it and did go to a few games....and yes, George, my wife as well will try as much as possible to "put up" with me as I turn the TV down and have the radio up during games....

I think most of us share these sentiments above, which is wy we are furiously searching through stats, boxscores, and discussing baseball ever since the day it ended. We are junkies, baseball gives me a high that I can never achieve anywhere else, the beautiful mix of a laid-back game and critical high stress situations makes for an exciting yet stress relieving experience. Whether we win or lose just being at the park is an awe inspiring experience. As opposed to football we see some athletes who look like us, short scrappy players like freel, overwight pitchers like David Wells who looks as much of an athlete as we as fans do. Even with steroids and other controversies the game still seems pure, the way sport was made to be played, a true team game with highly defined individual roles. The atmosphere is terrific, the open air and the smell of fresh grass, dirt and hotdogs intermingle into a almost perfume-like aroma. While I thouroughly enjoy attending Bengals games, the atmosphere of baseball is more inviting. Baseball fans are much the same, baseball has die-hard fans who are also relaxed, Ive had some of the best conversations of my life with other fans sitting nearby who all could be the GM, while at Bengals games I only get grunts and hollars from my neighboring fans. Baseball is an intelligent sport, nowhere else can you relax in the stands while calculating what your next move would be, it allows you to enjoy yourself while using your brain, something most sports dont offer. So what do the reds mean to me? The world, they have given me more than I could ever imagine giving back, even though each year I always want more. They have given me much of the same things as each poster before me has so elequently stated, but they have also given me an outlet, a place where I can relax and enjoy myself, and I especially enjoy knowing that most of the people in the stadium enjoy my sentiments as well. GO REDS!

Reds baseball means keeping the memories of my Grandfather and our our times together close to my heart. He was a quiet man, and he passed away when I was sixteen, so while we did not spend a lot of time talking, we did spend a lot of time sharing Reds baseball.

Reds baseball also means Marty and Joe on hot summer nights, that everything was right with the world when the Reds were winning, and whatever differences we had in Southwest Ohio - the Reds would bring us together for a time and give us the opportunity to move forward.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Frustration and pain, interspersed with moments of empty sentimental joy
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

My wife would say it means 6 months of insanity for me

It's remembering listening to games on the radio and keeping score...it's remembering hustling to the mailbox each Friday to get your new copy of the Sporting News to see all the boxscores from the previous week...

Blown saves are like a death in the family

Walk-off home runs rival the birth of children

The potential of unbridled joy ('75, '90, '94 and '95, '99) on the occasional basis forces me to endure the torture of the last 6 years

I care way too much and invest way too much emotional energy on this game and this team...and I wouldn't have it any other way

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Frustration and pain, interspersed with moments of empty sentimental joy
    Funny, that's what the dating life meant to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I have been a Reds fan since the early '60's, I'm 56, and have enjoyed the ride.

Grew up in NYC, and it was very rare to be a Reds fan. Got the Reds bug from my cousins one early '60's summer and never lost it. I've seen many superstars come and go, Rose, Morgan, Bench, Robinson, Perez, Maloney, McCool, etc, etc.. The big red machine days were exciting ones. What a murderer's row that was!

I can remember tuning in the Reds radio network on some summer nights when I guess the atmospheric conditions were just right-yes, all the way in NYC!!

Yes it's been frustrating over the last decade and a half. But It's still just a game, and life goes on just fine. My 2 sons, now 25 & 21, are Reds fans too, even though they were born and raised in So Fla! Been here since 1978, and still a Redleg! Yes, I root for the Marlins too, but I'll always be a Redlegged wonder 'til the end.

Like I say every spring, this is our year, so let the games begin!

Reds baseball is like having one of those "naked-at-school" dreams; it's consistently embarrassing, but it's your body, like it or not.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

It's basically my life. I plan my summer around it. My winter consists of checking everyday for transactions involving this team. I love it. Most of my wardrobe is made up of Reds jerseys, turtlenecks, undershirts, jackets, etc. My dad isn't much of a baseball fan, but my grandfather has the same feelings I have toward this team. Our conversations consist of model trains and Reds baseball. Mostly Reds baseball. I cannot imagine what my life would be like without it. It would be a major void that I most likely could not fill.

Reds baseball means getting together a game of whiffle-ball with black tape wrapped around the bats and balls for father hits and more solid contact. When I was hitting I was always Dave Parker (I bat left and throw right also). When I took the mound I was always Mario Soto. Just the shear fun of pretending to be a Major League Whiffle Ball player. We would start playing in early March and wouldn't stop until mid-November, and these were the days when the World Series was finished by mid-October.

Turn Off Ads?