Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Narron on Burton

Narron on Burton

Narron was quoted as saying: Stuff-wise, he's probably got the best of anybody in our bullpen." -- Narron, on Rule 5 Draft pick Jared Burton, a 25-year-old right-hander

I have quietly been promoting Burton, at least for a look see. With the new press on Hermanson, I don't know if it will happen, but if Burton has the stuff, it would be tough to let him go.
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron on Burton

It would really be a shame if Burton and "the best stuff in the bullpen" were to be cut to make way for a soft tosser like Cormier or Hermanson.....

Didn't Narron also say the same thing about Lohse in reference to the rotation. The fact that they cut Lightenberg and Salmon probably bodes well for Burton.

Just reading the stuff about closing (especially what Everyday Eddie said) its not always about stuff but the mind too. So there's more to closing than just having the best fastball and curve.

What has Burton done in the minors to warrant a shot in a major league bullpen?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nothing in particular, but I'm willing to watch the frachise throw some crap against the wall provided it's being thrown at high velocity.
    Last edited by M2; 03-20-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Nothing in particular, but I'm willing to watch the frachise throw some crap against the wall provided it's being throw at high velocity.
    that would be a very welcome change.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Yeah, I guess if you're going to experiment then you might as well try it with guys who have "stuff". It also helps that the Reds aren't swimming in guys with the aforementioned "stuff".

Right now nothing. But 2009 is the time for this team and by then Burton and his stuff could be contributing. None of the geezers will still be around then and the other guys can still be stashed at AAA. To get his arm in the organization Burton needs to be kept. For me its as simple as that. With this pen, 2007 is not as an important consideration IMO.

Burton is in the same boat as Hamilton. Step one is to secure them in the organization.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Burton is in the same boat as Hamilton. Step one is to secure them in the organization.
    A little out of petty cash should be able to keep Burton in Cincinnati.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Nothing in particular, but I'm willing to watch the frachise throw some crap against the wall provided it's being throw at high velocity.
    Absolutely!
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I don't know much about this kid; but if he hasn't been seen much at all in the majors then that might be a plus (at least for a year).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I still think Cormier will be dealt before Opening Day, which will create a spot for Burton.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I still think Cormier will be dealt before Opening Day, which will create a spot for Burton.
    Dare to dream. Maybe Philly will take him back. Also with the annual Wood injury the Cubs are looking for help. I know they say don't trade within your division but I would think Cormier to the Cubs would be a win-win situation for us.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

You raise a good point Johnny.

I see Burton as potentially a part in rebuilding the pitching staff. I'd like to have him on the team as the 12th man on the staff, and let him pitch 40-50 innings of mop up (or a more important role if his performance warrants it).

Then next year, he can be optioned to the minors if need be.

He clearly seems to be our best relief pitching prospect, so I think we need to hold on to him.

This year, Burton may be no better than the old guys, but hopefully he'll be a solid contributor down the road. With a 12 man staff, we could carry him. Put Maj on the DL until you can unload Cormier and free up a roster spot.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Its amazing how much weight the word of one Jerry Narron carries when folks agree with what he says.

Turn Off Ads?