Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Narron

Jerry Narron

Glad he sacked it up and told it like it was with Jr going to right. I've got tons of respect for him doing that. He seems to be putting together a nice staff, we should have some decent starters on stand-by at AAA... Wilson, Livingston, Ramirez along with depth in the bullpen. Our bench has some pop in it with Valentin and Conine. Good mixture of veterans. So far he gets a solid A in my book.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jerry Narron

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Glad he sacked it up and told it like it was with Jr going to right. I've got tons of respect for him doing that. He seems to be putting together a nice staff, we should have some decent starters on stand-by at AAA... Wilson, Livingston, Ramirez along with depth in the bullpen. Our bench has some pop in it with Valentin and Conine. Good mixture of veterans. So far he gets a solid A in my book.

I want to see him practice what he preaches with fundamentals (bunting, etc.) before he gets a grade from me. He's always preached about fundamentals, then they never use them in games. I don't think it's a Narron thing telling JR., I think it was an organizational thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I want to see him practice what he preaches with fundamentals (bunting, etc.) before he gets a grade from me. He's always preached about fundamentals, then they never use them in games. I don't think it's a Narron thing telling JR., I think it was an organizational thing.
    Aside from the fact that I don't ever want to see a bunt out of anyone that isn't named Ryan Freel or starting pitcher aside, Narron can stress bunting all he wants to the guys, but he can't get up there and do it for them. At some point the players are responsible for doing their jobs (am I really defending Jerry Narron? someone slap me). None of us are at the practices every day and we have no clue what these guys are working on every day or how much... but at the end of the day, the players are just as, if not more responsible for "fundamentals" than the manager is.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    So we hammer the guy for not making the move, but now we won't give him credit for actually doing it???...AND DOING IT IN AN EFFECTIVE, TIMELY MANNER...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Aside from the fact that I don't ever want to see a bunt out of anyone that isn't named Ryan Freel or starting pitcher aside, Narron can stress bunting all he wants to the guys, but he can't get up there and do it for them. At some point the players are responsible for doing their jobs (am I really defending Jerry Narron? someone slap me). None of us are at the practices every day and we have no clue what these guys are working on every day or how much... but at the end of the day, the players are just as, if not more responsible for "fundamentals" than the manager is.
    Only Freel bunts? I hope that's only tongue in cheek. I thought David Ross layed down a very good bunt and Norris Hopper followed with another that he almost beat out. I can see plenty of other Reds bunting for hits (Phillips, Hamilton, Encarnacion, etc.). Why limit ourselves there?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Only Freel bunts? I hope that's only tongue in cheek. I thought David Ross layed down a very good bunt and Norris Hopper followed with another that he almost beat out. I can see plenty of other Reds bunting for hits (Phillips, Hamilton, Encarnacion, etc.). Why limit ourselves there?
    I have no problem with certain guys other than Freel, such as Phillips, and maybe even EE, bunting for hits every once in a while to keep the third baseman honest, but I don;t want to see this team sacrifice bunting very often.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Fay's take on the blog is of interest (for a change). Maybe he's getting the hang of the the blogging thing and actually needing to use inisight etc.:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Narron has made a pretty bold move. My guess is it's a move no other manager in the Griffey Era had the authority to make. Narron spent a lot of time talking to Jim Leyland before Monday's game. This is a move Leyland would make in a heartbeat. I'm sure the subject of Leyland's handling of Barry Bonds in the early days came up.

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    So we hammer the guy for not making the move, but now we won't give him credit for actually doing it???...AND DOING IT IN AN EFFECTIVE, TIMELY MANNER...

I agree, they way he mentioned it while talking to Marty yesterday, it was no doubt in my mind he was the guy who broke the news to Jr. I think Narron has sacked up this year and isnt taking any crap, just my thoughts.

:

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I would rather Ross swing away than lay down a bunt. Same for Phillips, Hamilton or Encarnacion, who just aren't going to get the same number of bunt hits that Freel will. All who also have much more power than Freel. I just think a bunt is almost like giving up an out most of the time, except in special cases like Freel or the pitcher bunting to move a guy over.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I think Narron has sacked up this year and isnt taking any crap, just my thoughts.
    We will see how much crap is on his opening day roster..... I swear if Moeller makes this team.....

There is no way that EE should bunt. They guy has a good bat and you I dont want it taken out of his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There is no way that EE should bunt. They guy has a good bat and you I dont want it taken out of his hands.

You're right. But I agree with Pedro. It would be a good idea for some of these guys to bunt for hits every once in a blue moon. Plus, like Pedro said, it pulls the third baseman in a few steps if he shortens up from time to time. That could be the difference in a double down the line or a really good play made by the 3rd baseman. I don't want him sacrificing but if he's got some wheels, bunting for a hit counts just as much as a single up the middle.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You're right. But I agree with Pedro. It would be a good idea for some of these guys to bunt for hits every once in a blue moon. Plus, like Pedro said, it pulls the third baseman in a few steps if he shortens up from time to time. That could be the difference in a double down the line or a really good play made by the 3rd baseman. I don't want him sacrificing but if he's got some wheels, bunting for a hit counts just as much as a single up the middle.
    I remember Griffey Sr. hammering away at this some years ago. He named the precise example you gave. It opens the field for you leaving infielders having to guess what you're doing and will cause them to pull in and that ultimately allows some balls to go through the infield (or rifle by a pulled-in infielder). I'm not saying they should do this often, but enough that it keeps infielders on their heels.

Why take that tool out of your belt?

I made the best decision to help the team. Hopefully Griffey will only impress in RF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    I made the best decision to help the team. Hopefully Griffey will only impress in RF.

If youre answering posts on a message board, I suggest you visit Doc Hollywood.

Turn Off Ads?