Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Breakout Minor leaguer

Reds Breakout Minor leaguer

Here are the rules. There are three...

1. The player cannot be on the BA top ten list.
    2. The player cannot be on the RedsZone top 10 list
    3. You must give a reason for this breakout other than... "I got a hunch..."
    Any level of minor leaguer is fine from Dayton to Louisville. No Rookie level players, unless they are projected to be at Dayton or higher to start this season.

And now, here is my breakout player... Tyler Pelland.

LH pitchers take longer to develop. Pelland has been over-promoted the last two seasons, a trend that could continue this year as he has been mentioned pitching in Bats games this ST. Pelland is a power pitcher with a fastball that can hit 95 and from all reports a big curveball. His K/9 number dropped sharply in 2006, but some of that could be attributed to an increased workload. In 2005 under DanO's tandem stater program, Pelland only got 15 starts and pitched right around 100 innings. in 2006, that was upped to 140. He's good at keeping the ball in the park, only 11 HR's in 142 IP in 2006, 5 HR's in 102 IP in 2005.

Bailey, Cueto and Wood get a lot of press, and deservedly so. If Pelland gets his K/9 back to where it was in 2005, he could be in a reds uniform in some capacity as soon as next year. If he's assigned to Louisville and does well, he's a possible September callup.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Breakout Minor leaguer

I got 3 Milton Loo, Logan Parker, and Rafael Gonzalez. Gonzo has the stuff and I think as he gets older he will be more focused. Parker will put up some good Power numbers and decent avg. and Milton will be healthy and show he is special with the bat

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Milton Loo is in Baseball Americas top 10 redmachine2003.

My pick is Josh Ravin. Fastball that touches 96 and two average-slightly above average offspeed pitches does it for me. I think he has a chance to succeed in Dayton.

I think the breakout minor leaguer will come from the AA rotation: with Johnny Cueto, Sam LeCure, James Avery, Camilo Vazquez and Tyler Pelland it will be fun to watch who emerges. Cueto is obviously the highest rated prospect - so my choice for a breakout guy is Vazquez. The reason is that his strikeout rate is good, and he gets misses with both his curve and his FB. He has good control and command, but his weakness is giving up too many homers. I think Pelland and Cueto are good bullpen candidates so it will be interesting to see how the Reds development staff handles them this year.

TRF has picked Pelland as his breakout player for about five years in a row now. Just messin' with ya TRF, I like Pelland's arm too. If he can learn to command his pitches then he'll turn into a solid major league pitcher. Hopefully he repeats AA this year...he's been overpromted every year in the Reds organization.

Anyway, I have two breakout players. Logan Parker on offense and Josh Ravin on the pitching side. As Doug previously stated, Ravin was reportedly hitting 96 mph in Instructional League to go along with his two above average secondary pitches. I believe he spends the whole season in the Midwest League and develops into one of the better prospects in the league.

Logan Parker. Just a kid I have liked since day one. A big guy with good power and and great plate discipline. I expect 20 homers and 35 doubles from him this year along with 80+ walks.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Logan Parker. Just a kid I have liked since day one. A big guy with good power and and great plate discipline. I expect 20 homers and 35 doubles from him this year along with 80+ walks.
    This was mine right when I saw the thread and for these reasons.

Daryl Thompson. Held back in 2006 by health issues, DT gets healthy in 2007 and enemy stickmen pay the price. In limited action he put up a 10.29 K/9 and held opposing hitters to a .214 batting average. Of the 37 balls put into play against Thompson only two were line drives. Yep, the future is so bright he's gotta wear shades.

I'm going to go with Carlos Fisher. Lots of reasons.

1. At A- in 2006 he went 2.28 W/9, 7.32 K/9, with a tiny .30 HR/9. His ERA was 2.76 and he went a fairly well stretched out 150 Innings.

2. He's not on lists (I suspect) because he was 23 at Low A, but he got a late start and isn't 23 in Baseball Experience.

3. Given his age, the team may move him quickly with him possibly finishing 2007 at AA. (This part is a hunch I admit).

4. At 6-4, 220 he has good pitcher size and should be able to handle a starter's workload and should, at 24 this season, be through the most critical part of the injury nexus.

In my opinion, based on the stats, Fisher had the best pitching season in the system last year for any minor leaguer not named Bailey. 2007 will probably tell whether he is a prospect or a suspect. I'm impressed by good K's, low walks and low HR's on a starters workload at any level.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I am going to be bias cuz he is my adopted prospect but I am choosing Derrick Lutz. Go LUTZ Go your My boy Lutz!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Breakout player: I'll go with an upper minor leaguer. Coutlangus to be a solid contributor with the Reds by August.

Honorable mention: Catcher Craig Tatum to show that he can hit and is a real catching prospect.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-20-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Removed due to stupidity.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Breakout player: I'll go with an upper minor leaguer. Coutlangus to be a solid contributor with the Reds by August.

Honorable mention: Catcher Craig Tatum to show that he can hit and is a real catching prospect.
    If I didn't like Fisher so much, Coutlangus would have been my man.

Tatum went .277/.344/.408 in low A at 23. I'd like to see a little more power in A+, but its better than Dane Sardinha.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    TRF has picked Pelland as his breakout player for about five years in a row now. Just messin' with ya TRF, I like Pelland's arm too. If he can learn to command his pitches then he'll turn into a solid major league pitcher. Hopefully he repeats AA this year...he's been overpromted every year in the Reds organization.

Anyway, I have two breakout players. Logan Parker on offense and Josh Ravin on the pitching side. As Doug previously stated, Ravin was reportedly hitting 96 mph in Instructional League to go along with his two above average secondary pitches. I believe he spends the whole season in the Midwest League and develops into one of the better prospects in the league.

Yup. I liked this kid from the beginning. He struggled at Dayton, got demoted to Billings and just dominated. No complaining, no excuses. He's always had good K/9 numbers except for last year, which I am going to attribute to an increased workload.

Besides, how many LH starters do the Reds have in the entire org. that can hit 95?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I dont have a lot of minor league knowledge. Most of it I get from this forum. But for a breakout minor leaguer I would like to see someone force the hand of the major league management. I look for Janish to force his way into AAA. I dont know where he ranked on the redszone rakings but if he can show he can hit the reds may have something special.

I also would be interested to see what Daryl Thompson does this season. There was a reason that Krivsky included him in a trade. If he has a good year we may soon forget "the trade"

I forgot who is on that list.

If Sam Lecure is not on it, I tab him as breakout guy...

Turn Off Ads?