Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Breakout Minor leaguer

Re: Reds Breakout Minor leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I forgot who is on that list.

If Sam Lecure is not on it, I tab him as breakout guy...
    I like LeCure too, but how do you see him as a breakout guy? What do you see or read in his game that says he is going to take it up a notch?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pelland has little secondary stuff. It just wasn't command why his krate fell off the table from high A to AA. I would put him in AAA in the pen and just let him rip. He also would have a faster timetable to the majors from the pen and ridding us of the old age soldier crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Pelland has little secondary stuff. It just wasn't command why his krate fell off the table from high A to AA. I would put him in AAA in the pen and just let him rip. He also would have a faster timetable to the majors from the pen and ridding us of the old age soldier crew.
    That's what I was thinking. Pelland definitely has some potential, but like you, I highly doubt his arsenal will hold up as a starter.

I like Francisco and Phipps. They should both be in Dayton.When they were in Billings last year they were skinny.Francisco has put on some serious muscle. Phipps has put on about 20 lbs and is in pretty good shape too.Francisco has a chance to hit 20+ bombs and Phipps could steal 40 + bags this year.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anyway, I have two breakout players. Logan Parker on offense and Josh Ravin on the pitching side. As Doug previously stated, Ravin was reportedly hitting 96 mph in Instructional League to go along with his two above average secondary pitches. I believe he spends the whole season in the Midwest League and develops into one of the better prospects in the league.

Logan Parker. Just a kid I have liked since day one. A big guy with good power and and great plate discipline. I expect 20 homers and 35 doubles from him this year along with 80+ walks.
    I really like your Parker pick. He's one of the few lower level prospects that I think can potentially hit quite well. That was one of the better draft picks from the draft IMO.

Jake Long, American Dragon

He'll be the first Reds catching prospect with a clue at the plate since Jason LaRue.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He'll be the first Reds catching prospect with a clue at the plate since Jason LaRue.
    Wow that's not very encouraging. But I know what you mean.

I know he's in the top ten and all so I won't pick him, but I am expecting good things from Travis Wood this year. I fully expect to see him in Chattanooga at worst by the end of the season.

Daryl thompson was gonna be my pick as well, but texasdave beat me to it. I also like Sean Watson but I think he is a year away yet before he breaks out.

So I am going with Miguel Perez, for a couple of reasons. 1st he will be 24 in September and his physical maturity should finally be coming to a halt. And also because after coming to Major League camp and not being able to contribute/play much and sitting for a half a season sure makes a guy wanna get better and get back on the field ASAP.

There is nothing like having something taken away that you love to make you wanna improve yourself. Plus he might actually have some time to learn some things sitting and watching for the 1st time in years. Of course it will only be a partial breakout due to sitting for so long but it should raise some brows if he figures it out.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think a guy who may be under the radar is Logan Ondrusek. More guesswork than anything...

Jamie Arneson for the pitchers.

Chris Heisey (spelling?) for the hitters.

Heisey performed pretty well in Billings last year (better than Stubbs did). Arneson is my pick based on him being left handed and tall.

Yes, these are largely guesses guided by intuition.

Arneson is a great pick. I completely forgot about him. Great choice.

Pitcher Rick Asaadorian
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

My pick is Carlos Guevara

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I like LeCure too, but how do you see him as a breakout guy? What do you see or read in his game that says he is going to take it up a notch?
    Sorry, trf, just noticed the query.

I like the stuff he throws, it's a good assortment of quality hard stuff. Low 90s fastball, slider, change. 115 Ks in 141 innings last year hints at the possibility for frisky K per 9 rates as he progresses.The success he had a High A last year after a Billings debut the year before also gives me optimism.

I dunno, just feels to me like a guy with a live arm, an idea how to use it, and an assortment of pitches to go with it that is about to come into his own.

I have high hopes for him...

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Pitcher Rick Asaadorian
    My pick as well. Why? Because he throws hard.

If I have to pick one that hasn't already been picked, I'll go with Josh Roenicke.

115 Ks in 141 innings last year hints at the possibility for frisky K per 9 rates as he progresses.
    Is a frisky K rate a good thing or a bad thing?

Turn Off Ads?