Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ouch....very ouch

Re: Ouch....very ouch

I think five teams have a chance in the pathetic NL Central; the Reds at least as much as the Astros who aren't on the list. On the other hand the Blue Jays aren't on the list either, and it would take an act of God to get them in the playoffs in their division.

Soon enough, they'll start playing the games and everyone's predictions will be the very definition of meaningless...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

The Reds haven't made the division in a decade. I don't expect respect.

Just thank God that pre-season rankings and the BCS have absolutely nothing to do with the Reds this season.

Hell, I couldn't care less if they picked the Reds last. Why do sportswriters' opinions who have no clue about the Reds matter?

The Reds will be a solid club, who will win any where from 75-85 games. The Josh Hamilton story, the development of EdE and the awaited arrival of Homer Bailey, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce will keep me on the edge of my seat this year.

Any writer that believes the Cubs have a shot at the post-season and the Reds don't loses credibility instantly with me. The Reds may not be the BRM of old, but they are still better then the Cubs.
    Win the Division

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Any writer that believes the Cubs have a shot at the post-season and the Reds don't loses credibility instantly with me. The Reds may not be the BRM of old, but they are still better then the Cubs.
    These are the same folks who blast Kriv for "driving up the cost of pitching" for locking up Harang and Arroyo to LTC's. But when the Yanks, BoSox and the beloved Cubbies spend spend spend, then all in the world is right and good.

You see, the Reds weren't supposed to sign those guys, not at all. Harang and Arroyo were both meant to hit the free agent market and go to the Yanks or Sox as big time, #1 starters. It's just not right that they stay with the Reds! ok, tongue out of my cheek now...

It remains to be seen if the Reds are better than the Cubs or not. I think both teams have a lot of question marks. I think this Reds team could literally finish anywhere from first to last in the Central, depending on how things shake out.

But to list them as one of 6 teams in all of baseball without a shot at winning...I think that's a little extreme...and honestly, it's probably a little wishful thinking on Verducci's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    There is no reason to believe that the Reds will be better than the Cubs this season.

Unless you bring up the curse.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post

The Reds will be a solid club, who will win any where from 75-85 games. The Josh Hamilton story, the development of EdE and the awaited arrival of Homer Bailey, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce will keep me on the edge of my seat this year.
    Very true.. the future looks a lot brighter to me now than it did two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There is no reason to believe that the Reds will be better than the Cubs this season.

Unless you bring up the curse.
    I expect the Reds to be better than the Cubs this season.

My no chance list - D-Rays, Orioles, Royals, Mariners, Nationals, Pirates, Cubs

My slim chance list - Marlins, Reds, Rockies

Though they could have a decent team, I don't think the Blue Jays have any real chance either. My sleeper little-to-no-chance team (e.g. a team I don't much like though they'll be considered a serious contender) is the Tigers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I think the Os will be better than expected, and the Pirates too.

I think the Brew Crew is overrated.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Harang and Arroyo as anchors at the front of this rotation are the reason that Verducci is so off the reservation by including them in that list. No, I don't think the Reds will win the division, but do I think they could surprise me and make a run? Sure. And mostly because of the horses at the top. If those two come through again, it is a nice head start on competence...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Harang and Arroyo as anchors at the front of this rotation are the reason that Verducci is so off the reservation by including them in that list. No, I don't think the Reds will win the division, but do I think they could surprise me and make a run? Sure. And mostly because of the horses at the top. If those two come through again, it is a nice head start on competence...
    I think most of these guys are expecting a decline from Arroyo and some probably expect a little decline from Harang as well.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'd rather be a fan of a team that exceeds low expectations than one that falls short of lofty ones.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Please dont bring up being close to the playoffs last year in comparison to us being close. We over acheived last year and the rest of the division sucked. Its not going to be that way again.
    Based on last year, the Reds have a chance this year. A small chance, yes, but they have a chance. You don't know for sure. Neither do I. But I'd say there is a chance, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    These are the same folks who blast Kriv for "driving up the cost of pitching" for locking up Harang and Arroyo to LTC's.
    The only time I can remember Krivsky being criticized this season for skewing the pitching market was when he was throwing enormous sums of money at Mike Stanton and David Weathers. Is that really off base?

Silliness. I don't think we're going to make the playoffs, but things could certainly break so that the Reds could.

I don't remember the last time SI could be taken seriously.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

What got me about that article really wasn't the "no shot at the playoffs" remark. It was the reality/perception that the Reds were at the same level as the 5 or so other teams listed there. I don't believe/or maybe don't want to believe the Reds are as bad as those teams.

Turn Off Ads?