Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ouch....very ouch

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Ouch....very ouch

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    And the biggest thing Wayne's done is he hasn't sacrificed the future in making the club nominally competitive this year. We still have all of our core minor leaguers - that cannot be discounted, IMO.
    great point

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I would've prefered to get players that have a shot at making a difference. There's no upside in Gonzo, Conine, Castro, and all the old relief pitchers. We just are crossing our fingers and hoping they are adequate for the length of their contracts, and it's not a very good bet, IMO.

Wayne had over 30 million to allocate this offseason, and the best acquision he made was Sarloos. That's a crime. When you have that much money to spend, it should be easy to add real talent. And I don't want to hear excuses. Other teams managed to add talent this past offseason in the same market.
    I guess I have 2 thoughts...first, who were the difference makers in this year's market???...and next, the best $$ was spent on Harang and Arroyo, guys that if they were on the market this past offseason would've made out like bandits...Stanton and Cormier look like $$ wasted moreso now because WK made the move to get Burton and got Hermanson (FWIW) for a song...

I still say if we look at the 25 and 40-man rosters from today and 1 year ago today, we'd be hard pressed not to feel WK has done a very good job upgrading our personnel...it hasn't been "flashy" but I don't think it ever will be "flashy" in Cincinnati with our relative resources...

Just MHO...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hello kitty.gif 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	4551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hello kitty guitar.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4552  

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Conine and Castro and the elder relievers to me are nothing more than chess pieces. They're here now, they may be gone before season's end. They give us cogs to work with - nothing more. Conine and Castro are back ups and we'll see how that plays out.
    Much like Joe Randa was a great pickup a couple of years ago until Encarnacion was ready, plus he got us Germano and Chick which got us Cormier and Guardado...no one thought Randa made any sense, then he went out and played really well and now we have a couple of aging, hurt relief pitchers to show for it...

Hmm, what was my point again???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hello kitty.gif 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	4553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hello kitty guitar.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4554  

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Much like Joe Randa was a great pickup a couple of years ago until Encarnacion was ready, plus he got us Germano and Chick which got us Cormier and Guardado...no one thought Randa made any sense, then he went out and played really well and now we have a couple of aging, hurt relief pitchers to show for it...

Hmm, what was my point again???
    But I think this is all part of the process. Guardado may well be servicable for us later in the year, and I think the extension was given to Cormier, first to get him to waive his no-trade clause, but also because he will be moveable. The same is true of the two year deals given to Weathers and Stanton, IMO. He's structured other contracts in ways they aren't lasting, but rather servicable (see Hatteberg's one year deal with a Club option. Conine's on a one year deal. Either of the two 1st sackers could be moved during the season should Votto tear up AAA. I think he's set us up nicely to make further moves, even if its only to pick up minor league chips (which still needs some bolster - those type moves can turn into EE's and such).

I actually just posted this in the wrong thread.

And Verducci Backpedals....
    Thank you very much Ryan Limke from Lima Ohio.

Are my beloved Reds really a team that can't make the playoffs? I would argue they're much closer to a "franchise turnaround" than other teams you mentioned.
    -- Ryan Limke, Cincinnati, Ohio

I actually think the Pirates are in the "can't-make-it" category, not the Reds. It's a longshot, but the Reds, who have a hard time surviving that bullpen in that ballpark, do have a shot because of that division.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mailbag/1.html

I also believe the Reds dont stand a chance this year. They could over achieve, yes. But on paper, they stink. Not as bad as the Pirates, but after Harang and Arroyo... meh. The offense, its better than average but our pitching staff still stinks.

Im not expecting much more than a nice Josh Hamilton story and Harang getting more recognition this year.

Call me Debbie Downer

Turn Off Ads?