Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dave Winfield's Book

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Dave Winfield's Book

I heard an excerpt from Dave Wifield's book claiming that if the decline in the percentage of black players in MLB is consistant, the last African-American baseball player is currently 12 years old.

That is scary. I know basketball and football have the market cornered in the inner cities, and the MLB is aware of it, but what can be done to make sure this great game gets to the youths in our inner-city? Dropping off extra bats and balls isn't going to do it, and I'm not sure theres much we can do, but has Baseball really done it's part?

I would really like to hear your guys' thoughts.
    Witty signature.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Dave Winfield's Book

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I heard an excerpt from Dave Wifield's book claiming that if the decline in the percentage of black players in MLB is consistant, the last African-American baseball player is currently 12 years old.
    It WILL NOT remain consistent. Diminishing returns will happen.

I do not have an answer to increase the number of African-American players. I try not to worry about such things. I see players and not colors. I believe in letting things fall as they will... although bringing sports to ALL KIDS who may not have the chance to play is a good thing.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Dave Winfield is a mathematician?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Dave Winfield is a mathematician?
    What are you insinuating? I dont see race when the players are on the field but this also coincides with the Asian players thread.

Honestly, who cares what race a baseball player is? Aslong as said player can play, I don't care if their bright pink. Grab a bat, hit the cages and play.

Everyones making a big stink out of the "race-card". Who effing cares? You want baseball to market to inner cities? Start marketing it towards them. MLB Street, theres a football and basketball game right? Bunch of baloney that they can't start doing something to prevent african americans from leaving baseball.

Really, I dont even see why this is a issue. More than likely half of our favorite players are dominican or latin. Who cares what race? You field the best team..doesn't matter what race, religion, or anything.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I assume the point Winfield and other African Americans are trying to make is that it was a long and ardous road for blacks to get into baseball, and now for one reason or another they're theoretically getting closer and closer to having no blacks in baseball.

I really don't know that the MLB done anything wrong here (for once), it's just that the NFL and NBA offer a much easier road with more immediate financial dividends.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    What are you insinuating?
    That Dave Winfield might not have any idea what he's talking about when he says: …that if the decline in the percentage of black players in MLB is consistant, the last African-American baseball player is currently 12 years old…and that even if he does, why should I believe his numbers?

Why? What are you insinuating?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Why? What are you insinuating?
    That baseball is racist.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Baseball is NOT racist. It's much more likely that fewer African-Americans in the sport is a direct result of what Tom Servo posted above.

Also, with the influx of so many talented Japanese and Latino players, the competition for Major League baseball is pretty fierce.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

It's gangsta rap's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Baseball is NOT racist. It's much more likely that fewer African-Americans in the sport is a direct result of what Tom Servo posted above.

Also, with the influx of so many talented Japanese and Latino players, the competition for Major League baseball is pretty fierce.
    I said that, cause that seems to be the borderline thinking here.

African Americans can go to NBA or NFL and make the money today. Where in baseball you make the money tomorrow.

I said the racist bit as sarcasm. I'm sorry if it didn't seem that way.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?