Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Release Paul Wilson

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: Reds Release Paul Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    I guess he's taking Womack's roster spot since Womack was released?
    Should have tried to trade Wilson for Kearns, he would make a great fourth outfielder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Good luck Mr. Wilson. Talk about a guy who had to come full circle........from 1st round draft pick, sure fire can't miss prospect with the Mets, to battling back from a couple of arm surgeries. If he can't catch on somewhere I'd love to see him as the pitching coach of Billings or Dayton.
    I've got to be honest...my first reaction when I saw the thread was extreme sadness ...not for the Reds, for it clearly was the right choice, and a classy time to make the move in order for him to possibly get a chance to go elsewhere...but a sadness for the man personally...by every single account, this is a man who due to the curse of multiple injuries literally had to remake himself as a pitcher, who willed himself into being a capable major league starter (folks, this guy was a SOLID guy in our rotation a couple of years ago...we'd all be happy to have the '04 Wilson as our #3 starter) and then has to do it all over again with the injuries in Cincy...

He would be an incredible role model for young, aspiring pitchers about how to work hard, how to "pitch" instead of just rearin' back and throwing...I'd be thrilled to see him in a Red's uniform for years...COACHING!!

May all of our Reds have the same class and professionalism as Paul Wilson...

Here's to you Paul...best of luck!!

(That being said, 1 less mountain for Belisle to climb )

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Sports are a precarious thing; it's a shame when the body breaks down and ruins a career. I never feel happy when a guy who was productive, who set a good example who seems like a nice guy falls on hard times because of injuries, but then again it's not like the guy's gonna be going to a soup kitchen anytime soon.

I hope he get's healthy and improves so that the Reds can bring him back when he's 40, because he knows how to play the game.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I agree. I will never question the man for his efforts. He gave 100% at all times and for that I am appreciative. I hope he finds success somewhere if that is what he is looking for - to prolong his career. Having said that, I think the writing was on the wall that he would not make this year's team. Best of luck to him in the future and I thank him for his effort, leadership, and hard work.

Excellent. Sums up how I feel in a nutshell. GL Paul!

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    I guess he's taking Womack's roster spot since Womack was released?
    Womack was a non-roster invitee, so no such luck for Paul.

But seriously, all the luck in the world to Paul. The year he had in 2004 was inspirational. I remember when he and the rest of the young ex-Mets starters graced the cover of Sports Weekly, I ran out to buy it. Even if it ended badly for Paul in Cincinnati, I'm glad he was here. He was the consumate professional, and an awesome teammate. Last year betweem rehab starts in Dayton he would be in the Reds dugout cheering on the team. Great guy.

I am slightly saddened however, when I read in Fay's blog that he was not offered the option to go to AAA. Why not stick him down there if he is willing and let him rub off on Livingston, Lizard and Bailey? Classy guy. Best of luck Paul!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

No suprise really. I saw Paul's outing against the Phillies on March 5 and he was no where near a major league pitcher anymore. No gun on the board at Sarasota, but if he was hitting 82, i would have been a bit suprised.

I understand the Reds giving Paul the chance out of respect for what he did, I just wish he didn't take take away innings from guys with a more legitimate chance to make the team this spring. I wish him well.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Thanks for the memories Paul...
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Wish Paul the best of luck...hopefully he can catch on elsewhere....

That's the right move for the Reds and Paul Wilson. He gave it a great effort but now it's over and it's time for both parties to move on.

Paul may make a good coach down the line. Maybe he'll explore that approach now.

Rem

Warn: (0%)

It's not Paul's fault but the Reds wasted several innings on him that could have been used to evaluate other pitching. I wish Paul the best and hope one of the NL Central clubs feel the need to put him in their rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'll never question his heart or his desire, but him making this team would have been a step back.

I wish him nothing but the best, and perhaps he'll make a good coach someday!

Mark Portugal's release. That one was a surprise.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Why not stick him down there if he is willing and let him rub off on Livingston, Lizard and Bailey? Classy guy. Best of luck Paul!
    Livingston, Lizard, Baily, Dumatrait...Maybe santos. There isn't enough room at AAA for the reds to stash somebody that they don't think has a future.

Boy that's an interesting idea to think about if you're a reds fan, isn't it? The reds do not have playing time at AAA for players that aren't in their plans.

That's just wild to think about.
    Last edited by dfs; 03-21-2007 at 02:40 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    I am slightly saddened however, when I read in Fay's blog that he was not offered the option to go to AAA. Why not stick him down there if he is willing and let him rub off on Livingston, Lizard and Bailey? Classy guy. Best of luck Paul!
    Sadly he probably would have trouble with AAA hitters.
    Go Gators!

Maybe he can sign as a mentor/assistant/coach type thing in the minors.

Turn Off Ads?