Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds release Wilson

Reds release Wilson

Per Trent. Hope he gets a job somewhere...
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds release Wilson

Sorry it's in Reds Live...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

That's the right move for the Reds and Paul Wilson. He gave it a great effort but now it's over and it's time for both parties to move on.

Paul may make a good coach down the line. Maybe he'll explore that approach now.

Rem

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I sort of saw this coming. If Wilson's truly done, he should have no problem remaining in baseball in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    I sort of saw this coming.

you are who, Mr Magoo?

I’m not surprised, and I’m happy that this happened soon enough to allow Wilson to catch on elsewhere. Seems like a good guy. At least the Reds were honest with him that there just wasn’t a roster spot for him.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Wilson's release was inevitable. He can't pitch and he doesn't have a contract.

What will go a lot farther in determining the Reds' fate this year is whether the team is willing to cut bait on other ineffective pitchers who have sizable contracts.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegNation View Post
    I’m not surprised, and I’m happy that this happened soon enough to allow Wilson to catch on elsewhere. Seems like a good guy. At least the Reds were honest with him that there just wasn’t a roster spot for him.
    I'm pretty sure it's the end of the line for Paul. Although as much as he seems to want to pitch, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the one of the independent leagues this summer.

He's clearly a hard worker and wants to be in baseball so I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a roving minor league instructor sometime soon.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Good riddance and sadness all at the same time.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Therefore, the only REDS Opening Day starter in the 21st century still active in MLB is Aaron Harang. Believe it or not!?!?

Harnisch, Hamilton, Haynes, Lidle, Wilson.

Being a team's OD starter is supposed to be an honor. Ummmm.... not if you are a REDS player. Probably best to pitch game 2. Good luck, Aaron, good luck.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Good luck to him as a coach in the future.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Therefore, the only REDS Opening Day starter in the 21st century still active in MLB is Aaron Harang. Believe it or not!?!?

Harnisch, Hamilton, Haynes, Lidle, Wilson.

Being a team's OD starter is supposed to be an honor. Ummmm.... not if you are a REDS player. Probably best to pitch game 2. Good luck, Aaron, good luck.
    Stop mentioning that!! *covers ears and sings lalalala canthear you*

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Wilson's release was inevitable. He can't pitch and he doesn't have a contract.

What will go a lot farther in determining the Reds' fate this year is whether the team is willing to cut bait on other ineffective pitchers who have sizable contracts.

Didn't the REDS hold an option in 2007, that it was pretty much clear all along that they weren't going to pay unless he showed some remarkbable recovery?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Didn't the REDS hold an option in 2007, that it was pretty much clear all along that they weren't going to pay unless he showed some remarkbable recovery?
    IIRC, the Reds had already declined the option and he was back as a non-roster invite.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IIRC, the Reds had already declined the option and he was back as a non-roster invite.
    That's exactly what happened.

Another Friend of DanO is now history.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?