Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Beyond the Boxscore 2007 Cincinnati RedsTeam Preview

Beyond the Boxscore 2007 Cincinnati RedsTeam Preview

It's tough to be positive about the Reds. Sure, in Homer Bailey and maybe Chris Denorfia, the Reds have a couple of kids who could make a difference, but probably not enough this year to matter. In the big picture, though, the Reds are built around a couple of starters coming off of career years, an incredibly shaky bullpen, and an offense that...well, better be improved on defense.
    http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/sto.../17/81715/2385

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Beyond the Boxscore 2007 Cincinnati RedsTeam Preview

It really irritates me when people say Harang had a career year... he's progressed steadily as many up-and-coming players do (including pitchers).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Sure, in Homer Bailey and maybe Chris Denorfia, the Reds have a couple of kids who could make a difference, but probably not enough this year to matter.
    He must be referring to Louisville's postseason chances.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    It really irritates me when people say Harang had a career year... he's progressed steadily as many up-and-coming players do (including pitchers).
    Yes but we've probably seen Harang's ceiling and Arroyo, well last year certainly shouldn't be the level you'd expect from him again....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

What indication is there that Harnag has reached his ceiling?

Unless you mean 2-3 more years of this level as his ceiling, then I agree he has reached his ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I am betting the same experts that are saying Harang had a career year are the same types of experts that said Nolan Ryan had a career year after his 1972 season.

It also seems funny that when a player finally starts to excel in a place like New York or Chicago, that player is a future All Star and nothing but good will happen for that player in the future. If a player starts to excel in a town like Cincinnati, that player had a career year and dont expect it to happen again.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That looks about dead-on. We need Harang and Arroyo NOT to regress, and someone of Lohse/5th Starter TBD to win 10+ games a piece - because Milton will lead the league in HR's given up again.

Bullpen is Shaky, although I think Coffey-Hermanson could be a great duo at 8th/9th inning combo.

Offense is the biggest drop-off. Our 1B Combo is the worst in the NL. Joey Votto should be there - if we wanted to win. I'd take his mistakes over his promise, but looks like we won't see that until next year at the earliest.

We are trading Defense for Power (and errors) at SS, I can live with that. Ryan Freel in CF though? He is a spot-starter at best - more situated for playing 2B - IFF we had other POWER Options in the OF and Wayne hadn't picked up Phillips.

The REAL question mark, IMO, is Phillips. Does he fall back to earth or keep on making strides? IFF Phillips can become a 280/25/80 guy, then maybe we can take a shot at competing.

Otherwise, it makes for a VERY Interesting off-season in 2007, as we FINALLY get rid of the $9M WORTHLESS POS Milton, and can make some Serious changes at 1B and OF, and Not Only spend Miltons $$ on a REAL #3 SP, but spend another $10M on either - A) a Power OF - 25/90 guys, or B) Another SP to truly round out a Rotation, with or without Bailey - then we can talk about competing with the Big Boys.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Ryan Freel in CF though? He is a spot-starter at best - more situated for playing 2B
    I've always considered Freel a liability at 2nd.
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?