Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in a new glove.

Breaking in a new glove.

Give me all the myths, facts, rumors, and spells.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Breaking in a new glove.

I use Louisville Slugger Glove Grease, wrap it in a belt.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For me, the best way to break in a glove is to oil the pocket, (not too heavily) massaging the oil by hand, deep into the leather. (I use Rawlings glovolium with lanolin) Play a lot of catch, with the glove, and when you are not using it, keep it in a very warm area. (When it is warm, the trunk of your car is great)

A lot of the quick break in methods will sometimes damage a glove, long term. I have always bought Rawlings "Heart of the Hyde" gloves or Wilson A2000's. They are definitely not the easiest gloves to break in, but once you get them broken in, you can expect a very long life with the best leather and gloves that are made. The best thing that you can do for a really great leather baseball glove is to clean away the dirt after each use. It will make a huge difference in the life of the glove.

As with most things, the quick easy way is not usually the best way.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 03-21-2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I soak it in some kind of leather conditioner, wrap it in a towel and put it in the microwave for 3-5 minutes.

really.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I know that the Rawlings rep that I talked to last year told me, above all things, to never use the microwave oven on a premium ballglove. I have never done it, myself, so I have nothing to back that up on.

John Wooden

Oh, premium glove.

yup, I agree with Randy, but I have three kids so the last thing I bought that was premium ended up causing one of the three.
    Suck it up cupcake.

John Wooden

Splash of hot water right in the palm. Get your big brother to play "burnout" with you for fifteen minutes. Repeat daily until either the glove is broken in or your older brother develops rotator cuff problems. Oil well after it's broken in to your liking.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I've used neatsfoot oil for years - something the Demarini Rep told me years ago at a Softball tourney. Most big manufacturers "glove oil" has mostly neatsfoot in it (At least I know Franklin's & Easton's does).

Don't use shaving cream or the microwave gag. Both don't work. I used Shaving cream on a brand new Easton Infielders glove a few years ago in a pinch and it was never the same.

I also spent a few bucks and got one of these from Akadema - Called the MittMasher - been well worth it

In high school I had to break a new mitt in in a hurry, oiled it up good, put a tennis ball in the pocket, tied it up good, and ran over it many times with my car, pulled it out, played some catch, put some new conditioner on it, put hte ball back in, tied it up again, and used it the next afternooon.

Time is the only real answer. I used to sell gloves in college. Neatsfoot oil or lanolin do a nice job. Glovolium by Rawlings is really designed more for gloves that are already broken in. Avoid anything involving ovens or microwaves. As odd as this may sound, I used to recommend sticking it in between your mattresses at night. The pressure and the tossing and turning can give the leather a good break in.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I remember Charlie Brown using Neatsfoot oil on his glove in the Peanuts comic strip.

I tried a quart of Motor Oil and a trip to the oven on one of my gloves. That gloved leaked oil whenever I used it, much like the cars I owned at the time. It was the nicest glove I had ever purchased (by far) and I foolishly ruined the darn thing because I was too lazy to put the time into breaking it in correctly.

The last glove I bought was softer brand new than my childhood glove ever was.

GL

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I also spent a few bucks and got one of these from Akadema - Called the MittMasher - been well worth it
    The MittMasher was developed actually by women's pro softball players. The "glove conditioner" quickly made its rounds on the circuit. It was quite a favorite until one of the ladies that kept the MittMasher with her on all road trips developed an awful yeast infection. The moral of the story is never use leather conditioner when you're low on KY Jelly.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Originally posted by Newman4
    The MittMasher was developed actually by women's pro softball players. The "glove conditioner" quickly made its rounds on the circuit. It was quite a favorite until one of the ladies that kept the MittMasher with her on all road trips developed an awful yeast infection. The moral of the story is never use leather conditioner when you're low on KY Jelly.
    That's not even right, but it is funnier than all get out!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Oh, premium glove.

yup, I agree with Randy, but I have three kids so the last thing I bought that was premium ended up causing one of the three.
    Just curious, did you stick it in the micorwave before you used it too?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?