Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verducci says the Reds have no chance

Verducci says the Reds have no chance

Tom Verducci from SI says "There are only six teams that can't make the playoffs (Nationals, Royals, Devil Rays, Reds, Pirates and Orioles), and of the 25 teams that have a shot, any shot, at playing in October, roughly 15 of them could win the World Series -- about three times as much real competition as the Yankees faced in the '90s."

Is this true?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Verducci says the Reds have no chance

No

I'm afraid he's right. The Reds got a shot at being a .500 team but that's about it. I really doubt the division will be as mediocre as it was last year, which created the illusion of the Reds being a contender.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"I coulda ben soomebody.....I coulda ben a contenda"

The Reds are better than those 5 teams.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The Reds are better than those 5 teams.
    That's not saying much

That's why they play the games.

The Reds are better this year... but so are Houston and Chicago.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

If I had to bet I would say Verducci said the exact same thing last year and we all know how that prediction turned out.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Whereas Dyan Perry calls the Reds 1 of 10 teams that could surprise and be this years tigers. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6591812

Check out his 2006 predictions: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

He picked the White Sox to win it all in 2006.

The Braves were supposed to play in the 2006 NLCS...he missed it by 18 games.

Brewers were supposed to challenge for the wild card with "upper 80s wins." Missed by at least 10 wins and they finished 13 games out of the NL Wild Card.

Eric Gagne was predicted to be 2006's NL Comeback Player of the Year.

He got a few things right, but not a lot.

You can't say that about the Reds in a division of .500 teams. Houston is OLD and Chicago is still a mess, Lou notwithstanding. I don't see any major changes except those that could help the Reds: Prior and Wood are becoming nonfactors, Hou lost Pettitte and odds on won't get the Rocket back. StL is aging if not past its prime, and oft injured: J. Encarnacion, Edmonds, and Rolen are walking wounded. Every year I hear the Pirates and Brewers could be a dark horse, and every year they're up the track. I see no reason the Reds can't not only win, but clean up in the division: the defense is much better, the depth is superb, the pitching is as solid as any staff in the division. The key to me is Encarnacion--as the only big RH bat in the lineup, he HAS to excel.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL NO!"

Same goes for this yahoo. He did have Tigers and Cards last year in the preseason right? Uh huh, I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    That's not saying much

Yep, we are probably the best of those lousy teams, but we still don't have a shot at contending, barring a miracle season from Milton and/or Lohse.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Most everyone picked the Reds to finish last in 06!! Narron should have gotten more consideration at Manager of the Year, I don't think he should have won it but at least some votes

Turn Off Ads?