Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Coutlangus looks to be Surprise of 2007 season.

Coutlangus looks to be Surprise of 2007 season.

He's moved his way through every level he's been at during his short time as a pitcher and at a young enough age that there's lot's of room for improvement still. He had a great Arizona Fall League. His Spring Training so far has been impecable. He may easily be the best left-handed pitcher in our bullpen.

60-70 innings with an ERA under 3.00 is a real possibility for this kid. That could translate into a few more wins this year that we weren't able to get last year.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coutlangus looks to be Surprise of 2007 season.

In 1 year, we may well have 5 very impressive, young arms in our pen with Coffey, Bray, Burton, Salmon and Coutlangus...it's been a long time since we've had the luxury of saying that :dancingco

That fortunately would still leave 1-2 spots for some "veteran presence"

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

That's pretty lofty expectations for a guy yet to really play in AAA. I'd start him off there, and see how he does. If he dominates, it shouldn't be hard for him to take Cormier's spot.

1 thing I noticed is that he gave up zero homeruns last season in 63 innings, and only 3 in 77 innings the year before. That's a pretty impressive skill that will work well in GABP. Plus he has been able to K guys at a high rate. If he continues putting up numbers like that in AAA, he should be able to succeed in the majors pretty quickly.

He has options so I think Coutlangus is going down.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    winner, winner, chicken dinner

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    ....been waiting for that one.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    ....been waiting for that one.
    Unfortunately that has been the theme Narron keeps discussing in his interviews regarding the pitching staff. Who has options and who doesn't, a very flawed way of thinking when you are trying to put the best team together.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Unfortunately that has been the theme Narron keeps discussing in his interviews regarding the pitching staff. Who has options and who doesn't, a very flawed way of thinking when you are trying to put the best team together.
    Yes and no. There is more to the season than just two weeks and injuries happen. Coutlangus will most definitely have an opportunity to help out in Cincy this year. The games in August count just as much as the games in April.

Regardless, it's a good thing to have capable arms in Louisville to fill in the ranks when the time comes.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Gary Redus Ruled

his cousin analangus has a great "backdoor" slider
    Hoping for another Reds October

Medlock and/or Pelland could join them by next year. I know Tyler has been a starter, but IIRC he has a strong fastball and limited secondary pitches. I'd say his future in the big leagues would be out of the pen.

Man Pills

His numbers would really have to take a dive.

(If you think they'll stop when he makes the team, you're fooling yourself).

got alil captain in u?

i sure hope he is get cormier outta here keep burton and if bray is still having shoulder soreness give him time to rest and have coutlangus up for the beginning of the season

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    In 1 year, we may well have 5 very impressive, young arms in our pen with Coffey, Bray, Burton, Salmon and Coutlangus...it's been a long time since we've had the luxury of saying that :dancingco

That fortunately would still leave 1-2 spots for some "veteran presence"
    Dont Forget Maj, and Belisle as a swinglman, it seems our bullpen with the exception of an established closer is pretty much well off from top to bottom for the next several years, and if we could have a closer emerge from among them even better

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Turn Off Ads?