Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keeper league draft. Who should I be targeting?

Keeper league draft. Who should I be targeting?

I'm in a 10 team 2 player keeper with a draft this Sunday.

My keepers are Jose Reyes and Alex Rodriguez. I also had David Wright but I went with ARod. I will be picking 7th.

all 5x5 categories are used + E and BB on offense and Holds and Losses in pitching.

Keepers: Pujols, Ortiz, Beltran, Vlad, Howard, Santana, Carpenter, Soriano, Jeter, A. Jones, Miggy, Sizemore, Hafner, Tejada, Bay, Crawford, and Berkman.

Do you think that I should target Zambrano or Oswalt with the 7th pick? Or should I go with whatever OFer might be left of Carlos Lee, Holliday, and Abreu and look to get my ace with the 2nd round pick?

I think my ideal 1st 4 picks would be:

#7 - Abreu
    #14 - Oswalt, Halladay, or Peavy (whoever is left)
    #27 - Derrek Lee
    #34 - Sheffield

Any thought or suggestions?
    Last edited by Buckeye33; 03-22-2007 at 01:43 AM.
    Matta = Really good

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Keeper league draft. Who should I be targeting?

Just FYI - the Average OF who had 250PAs (which is about 100 guys) last year had a line of 17HR, 66RBI, 12SB, .277BA/.348OBP/.455SLG

Abreu's predicted lines by most major systems I've seen (PECOTA, ZIPS, Marcel, Bill James) have him around this
    16HR, 69RBI, 30SB, 22SB, .277BA/.389OBP/.477SLG

Other than the steals & the high OBP that's a pretty average fantasy guy - and not exactly 1st round matieral.

If Chase Utley or Miguel Cabrera fell to you I'd jump all over that. Othat than that, in the first round I try to go for whatever is extremely scarce. Guys who can top 40HR, 40SB, or 40 guaranteed SVs or 200+Ks.

Hanley Ramriez is a guy to keep an eye on as well. I think he's the next Barry Larkin personally.

Lee's wrist injury really worries me - enough that I've let him become other people's risk. Plus I think his 2005 was more career year outlier rather than him becoming a superstar. There are enough guys similiar to him as well w/ much less risk. (Prince Fielder/Justin Morneau/Adrian Gonzalez/Paul Konerko/Jim Thome/Carlos Delgado)

That's my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    If Chase Utley or Miguel Cabrera fell to you I'd jump all over that. Othat than that, in the first round I try to go for whatever is extremely scarce. Guys who can top 40HR, 40SB, or 40 guaranteed SVs or 200+Ks.

Hanley Ramriez is a guy to keep an eye on as well. I think he's the next Barry Larkin personally.

Lee's wrist injury really worries me - enough that I've let him become other people's risk. Plus I think his 2005 was more career year outlier rather than him becoming a superstar. There are enough guys similiar to him as well w/ much less risk. (Prince Fielder/Justin Morneau/Adrian Gonzalez/Paul Konerko/Jim Thome/Carlos Delgado)

That's my two cents
    Thanks for the info on Abreu, it should come in handy. I am picking 7th in this draft and since there are 20 keeper players (I listed them in the 1st post), Utley, Manny, Wright, Teixeria, Holliday, Oswalt, Hanley, Peavy, Abreu, and Zambrano seem to be the most likely guys to go in the 1st round.

I know Utley, Wright, Manny, and Teixeria will go before I pick.

I am really starting to think I may take Hanley Ramirez and use him in my utility spot since I have Jose Reyes and ARod as my keepers. That would pretty much mean I wouldn't have to worry about SBs for the rest of the draft. It would mean I would be behind the 8 ball quickly when it comes to errors (i hate having this stat).

If you had to choose between Hanley, Oswalt, Holliday, Zambrano, Abreu, Ichiro and Peavy with the 7th choice in the draft and you had Reyes and ARod as your keepers, who would you take?
    Matta = Really good

Either Holliday or Zambrano as far as pitchers go in my book. I always worry about Oswalt's next groin injury w/ as much extension as he gets on his delivery. Holliday & Zambrano should give you consistant innings, w/ a bunch of Ks. Plus either will give you that true ace of your staff that can be tough to find in later rounds. Of course secondary pitchers tend to be closer to the "aces" in fantasy baseball than secondary position players are to the stars at their positions.

I would be tempted to take Caberra if he was still available to you at #7, then take pitcher in round 2.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I always worry about Oswalt's next groin injury w/ as much extension as he gets on his delivery.
    This reminds me of those ESPN commercials with the premise of "without sports, this would be _____"

Without sports, worrying about another man's groin would be just plain weird

Lee's wrist injury really worries me - enough that I've let him become other people's risk. Plus I think his 2005 was more career year outlier rather than him becoming a superstar.
    The extremely high average more than likely was a career peak, but as far as his power goes, I'm not so sure. He exhibited 30 home run power in the cavernous park that is Pro Player/Dolphin stadium. I think he can continue showing 40 HR power at Wrigley
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 03-22-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Turn Off Ads?