Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: (Some) UK fans getting their wish???

Re: (Some) UK fans getting their wish???

I wish Tubby Smith well in Minneapolis, and I think his style of coaching will work well in the Big 10. He will have the Gophers competing within the next two to three years and will be a class act same as he was at Kentucky.

A new coach should have three years to make an impact. The first year is getting your feet wet and getting your staff and recruits in. The second year is getting organized and improving. By the time the third year rolls around, you had better be accomplishing something.

What a lot of fans don't realize is that Tubby leaving is going to be better for Kentucky long term than short term. In the short term, we might as well be on probation. If Randolph Morris goes pro, we have a huge hole in the middle to fill at center. Some of our younger players could decide to transfer, and the players we are currently recruiting or have already landed could be re-opened. My guess is Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas are probably re-thinking their decisions.

Depending on who we get as coach, we could be in for a long haul next season. I just hope people realize that success doesn't come overnight.

My top two are Billy Donovan and John Calipari(although this one concerns me, see Matta), but I will admit that both are going to take a lot of work. Whoever we get, I just hope and pray that it is somebody who has a different style of play and is a proven recruiter.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Seriously. Is this necessary?
    Absolutely. He is what he is. And I root FOR the Buckeyes.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned so far in this discussion is the fact that the Athletics Director at UK is Mitch Barnhardt. What are the chances that he will completely screw up this hire?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Seriously. Is this necessary?
    Given the way he left Butler and Xavier--especially the latter only 24 hours after denying he was a candidate for the OSU job--I think it's at least a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned so far in this discussion is the fact that the Athletics Director at UK is Mitch Barnhardt. What are the chances that he will completely screw up this hire?
    Mark Few is being mentioned as a candidate, and he has ties to Barnhardt.

I'm not real big on him or Tom Crean. If the two candidates I mentioned above don't fit, im hoping for Travis Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I wish Tubby Smith well in Minneapolis, and I think his style of coaching will work well in the Big 10. He will have the Gophers competing within the next two to three years and will be a class act same as he was at Kentucky.

A new coach should have three years to make an impact. The first year is getting your feet wet and getting your staff and recruits in. The second year is getting organized and improving. By the time the third year rolls around, you had better be accomplishing something.

What a lot of fans don't realize is that Tubby leaving is going to be better for Kentucky long term than short term. In the short term, we might as well be on probation. If Randolph Morris goes pro, we have a huge hole in the middle to fill at center. Some of our younger players could decide to transfer, and the players we are currently recruiting or have already landed could be re-opened. My guess is Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas are probably re-thinking their decisions.

Depending on who we get as coach, we could be in for a long haul next season. I just hope people realize that success doesn't come overnight.

My top two are Billy Donovan and John Calipari(although this one concerns me, see Matta), but I will admit that both are going to take a lot of work. Whoever we get, I just hope and pray that it is somebody who has a different style of play and is a proven recruiter.
    My feeling is that this decision has already been made privately and it may have impacted Tubby's decision to pull the trigger on Minnesota.

If the Gophers were courting him as hard as the reports are indicating, then they would have allowed him 2-3 weeks to make a decision on the job. However, if Randolph already showed his hand to Tubby, then why wait on flying the coop if you are getting the keys to the vault handed to you.

By the way, WVRed--I completely agree with you about him being a good fit for the Big 10.

Sham

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Couldn't that be said of tOSU and Eggsavier as well?
    Eggsavier? Are you 12?

So, after some reading here, would the loser of tonights Memphis/A&M job be the front runner to get the UK job?

Here's one - Larry Brown.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Fact:
    Kentucky can and WILL land ANY coach they want besides Williams and K.

Fact: They will be the top paid coach in college basketball.http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10080776

Great article: A must read!
    Last edited by George Foster; 03-22-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Sham View Post
    Eggsavier? Are you 12?
    I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

This from ukathletics.com:

Statements Released Regarding Tubby Smith

Statement from Mitch Barnhart, Athletics Director, University of Kentucky

On behalf of the University of Kentucky, I’d like to express sincere appreciation to Tubby Smith, his family and his staff. Tubby has always put a priority on the growth of the student-athlete while representing the Commonwealth with class, and we thank him for that. We wish him the very best at the University of Minnesota. They are getting a solid coach and a great person.

Our focus now is on finding the best possible person to lead the winningest program in college basketball history. President Todd has asked me to lead the search. Our strategy does not involve a search committee. Obviously, I will utilize the opinions of experts in this business. We will also lean on people who understand and are committed to the success of Kentucky basketball.

This search will be exhaustive, comprehensive and focused. Throughout that time, I will keep Dr. Todd informed during the process.

As you know, Coach Smith signed two players last fall. Those young men now have something to deal with in that the coach they signed with is no longer at the university to which they made their commitment. We have to be sensitive to them and stay in constant communication with them and their families.

We also have some scholarships still available for next season and have been pursuing individuals for those scholarships. It is our hope that any young man interested in playing at the University of Kentucky before Coach Smith decided to leave would wait until a new coach is in place before making any final decisions about their college future.

Kentucky holds a special place in college basketball. We have the best facilities and tradition in the sport, but most importantly, UK has a fan base which for decades has committed immense financial and emotional resources into Wildcat basketball. It truly is the Big Blue Nation, and it is what sets the University of Kentucky’s basketball program apart from every other school.

I’m confident we can find the right person to embrace this tradition and lead Kentucky basketball into the future.

Statement by Lee Todd, President, University of Kentucky

I greatly appreciate the service Tubby Smith has given to this university. He is among the best as a coach and has represented this university with class and professionalism. Tubby and Donna will also be greatly missed as members of this community to which they have given so much. I wish him every success, except if they ever play us, in this new chapter in his coaching career.

Mitch Barnhart and I have talked extensively about the process for hiring a new coach of Kentucky basketball. Mitch has a proven track record of bringing quality coaches to Kentucky that have immediate success and positive impact. I have every confidence in his ability to hire the right person for Kentucky and I am excited about moving our program forward.

President Todd has asked me to lead the search. Our strategy does not involve a search committee.
    I was afraid of that. Which Barnhardt college roomate needs a job?

Mitch has a proven track record of bringing quality coaches to Kentucky that have immediate success and positive impact.

Sean Sutton's available......

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

3 Time CY Young winner

I don't understand all the "will Barnhart screw up this hire" posts. I understand the Brooks situation where he was the 53rd choice or something like that but other than that I think he's been pretty solid. Mickey DeMoss has done great things for the womans program and John Cohen is without a doubt one of the best baseball coaches in the country turning around the baseball program seemingly overnight. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by roundboy22 View Post
    I don't understand all the "will Barnhart screw up this hire" posts. I understand the Brooks situation where he was the 53rd choice or something like that but other than that I think he's been pretty solid. Mickey DeMoss has done great things for the womans program and John Cohen is without a doubt one of the best baseball coaches in the country turning around the baseball program seemingly overnight. Just my opinion.
    Point well-taken. I think we / I often overlook the successes of the "other" sports. It's like Barnhardt's mishandling of the football program overshadows successes he may have with the department as a whole.

part of BBN

Point well-taken. I think we / I often overlook the successes of the "other" sports. It's like Barnhardt's mishandling of the football program overshadows successes he may have with the department as a whole.
    I told a friend yesterday before any of this news broke how our baseball team is doing great,football team went bowling, womens basketball in better shape etc. Everything seems to be moving forward but the basketball program.

Turn Off Ads?