Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton today

Hamilton today

I was at the Reds-Yankees game today. Afterwards I read through the game thread and didn't think it reflected what a strong game Hamilton played(1 for 4 doesn't sound that impressive). He had a walk, did look bad on 2 high fastballs for his SO, but, in adition to his single on a sharply hit groundball, he hit one deep near the wall against a strong wind. And in his last AB, in the 8th inning, he hit a screamer down the right field line which I'm quite sure hit the bag(it happened so fast it may have gone off the 1st baseman's glove) and bounced right to the 2nd baseman for a FC, driving in a run. Except for extreme bad luck it would have been at least a double and put the Reds in the lead. It was hit as hard as any ball in the game with the exception of A-Rod's HR which was absolutely killed. He also looked good in the outfield again and made a good throw to third although it didn't get the runner.

It was a great game. I only hope Hamilton didn't hurt his wrist badly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton today

As much as everyone is very impressed with hambone's AB's, there is only so much Ham-love to be given. I think we all met our quota a long time ago and are waiting for 3 bombs in a game to re-ignite the Ham-love wagon.

Unless he tails off severely in the last few ST games, I think he's earned at least 6-8 straight starts when the season opens although I'd wait until game 2 to start him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    Unless he tails off severely in the last few ST games, I think he's earned at least 6-8 straight starts when the season opens although I'd wait until game 2 to start him.
    If Griffey is not in, I say throw him in the fire if JN is confident he can handle it. If not, then I agree with waiting til Wed night.

Heh. 1 for 4 and people are bummed. If Hamilton hits .250 with 10 bombs and plays sterling defense as the 5th outfielder his first year back, I'll take it. The kid's got a huge future and keeping him on the roster without hurting the team is the goal this year, I'd think. Anything more is gravy.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Heh. 1 for 4 and people are bummed. If Hamilton hits .250 with 10 bombs and plays sterling defense as the 5th outfielder his first year back, I'll take it. The kid's got a huge future and keeping him on the roster without hurting the team is the goal this year, I'd think. Anything more is gravy.
    Yep....that about sums it up....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I agree, expecting anything more than that would be just unreasonable. The kid deserves at least a whole year of seasoning before any expectations are made of him. He's a good rule 5 pickup and should be counted on defensively only.

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I agree, expecting anything more than that would be just unreasonable. The kid deserves at least a whole year of seasoning before any expectations are made of him. He's a good rule 5 pickup and should be counted on defensively only.
    I too hope they will give Hamilton a chance to get some seasoning before creating to high of expectations. Not only would that likely be more beneficial to the Reds in the long run but it would also it seems help Hamilton chase away his demons once and for all. The fifth outfielder's spot seems like a perfect place for him. (not to mention it gives the club another left handed bat off the bench which might allow for them to only keep 2 catchers). Unfortunately, baseball is an inpatient business...especially at the major league level.

I think Hamilton has proven this spring that his value is more than a 5th outfielder. From reports it seems as if his baseball instincts are still intact in the field and is a plus defender. It also seems as if he has strike zone knowledge, plate coverage, and also bat speed which are very important to hitting. You can say it is a small sample size but when you look at it he hits a lot of hard balls. When your going good they fall in for hits, when not they find their way in to the defender's glove. In Hamilton's case the way he is hitting the ball is more impressive than his average.

This spring he has not only proven that he deserves a spot on this team but he also deserves some playing time. Time will tell what he does at the big league level this year but I think he should get as many at bats as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Hamilton has proven this spring that his value is more than a 5th outfielder. From reports it seems as if his baseball instincts are still intact in the field and is a plus defender. It also seems as if he has strike zone knowledge, plate coverage, and also bat speed which are very important to hitting. You can say it is a small sample size but when you look at it he hits a lot of hard balls. When your going good they fall in for hits, when not they find their way in to the defender's glove. In Hamilton's case the way he is hitting the ball is more impressive than his average.

This spring he has not only proven that he deserves a spot on this team but he also deserves some playing time. Time will tell what he does at the big league level this year but I think he should get as many at bats as possible.
    I agree. Ride the hot hand. If I'm the Reds, I try to get him as much playing time as possible as soon as possible.

I enjoyed watching yesterday's game and I was watching it mostly to see Josh Hamilton. I wanted to see what he looked like in live action. And I left extremely impressed. If I didn't know who any of the Reds were or their stories, I would've thought he was the best hitter on the team. His batting stance and presence is awesome. His swing is probably the second best on the team behind JR. He just looks like the type of hitter that is going to hit the ball hard every time he comes up to the plate. I like that alot. He is a damn good hitter who looks nothing like a player that has barely played the last few years. And on top of that, he's a great defender.

You never know, it could be a blessing in disguise if JR. starts the season on the DL and misses a couple of weeks giving Hamilton a chance to play a lot early on. He could seize the opportunity like he has this Spring. I'm very optimistic about him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

If Jr isn't ready, which seems likely with only a handful of games to go, I would expect to see Hamilton starting in RF in the opener.

Problem the Reds have with Jr is that if he starts playing in games but isn't ready to start the season, if he goes to the DL he would have to miss the first two weeks. It is a bit of a dilemma at this point.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this or not, but for someone who is supposed to have a ton of power he only has 1 HR. I am not being critical I think he is so focused on be a good hitter he is just concentrating on making good contact and seeing the pitches. If this is the case this speaks volumes to his dedication. He could easily be batting .250 with 8 hrs. With this approach the HRs will come. I love the fact that he isnt out there swining from his heels trying to hit everything out.

I agree, though not necessarily with "as many at bats as possible." I think a balance between semi-regular playing time and down time may be needed, to keep him sharp and on the learning curve, while also giving him time to adapt to the grind and spotlight. Like bucksfan2, I think he's shown enough that it's safe to say he can be a real asset in the future and, with enough playing time, at least occasionally productive this year. I can understand how some may feel his spring performance is not to be trusted, but I'm not in that camp. The kid's going to have down times, but he's a legit player. My main concerns are his mental health and his physical health -- he's got a pretty impressive history of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    My main concerns are his mental health and his physical health -- he's got a pretty impressive history of injury.
    His mental health is probably going to be more of a problem riding the pine than if he were getting reasonable playing time. Of course, if he's playing a lot and not hitting, that might be even worse for his mental health. I hope Narron can maintain the right balance of playing time.

My one concern is a young, developing player not getting enough reps to stay sharp and able to perform effectively...(it will certainly be easier for Jeff Conine to take 5 days off and be able to come in and play well than it would be for Hamilton)...

So it's really a blessing in disguise IMHO that Griffey may well start the season on the DL (I really think he'll be "disabled" retroactively to today, which allows him back at the end of that 1st week) and Freel's need to have periodic rest may give Hamilton the ability to get some fairly regular AB's...hopefully that will help him stay in a good rhythm as he is right now obviously...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Turn Off Ads?