Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB.tv ....

MLB.tv ....

Since I'm living in Pittsburgh, this is the perfect (and only) option for me to watch the Reds.

So, for those of you who have it or who have at least experienced watching it, please describe your opinions for me.

I'm planning on purchasing it within the next few days since Opening Day is on Monday!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: MLB.tv ....

This will be my third season as a subscriber to MLB.TV.

If you're not in the blackout area for the Reds and willing to forgive the occasional glitch when bandwidth drops on your connection, it's a heck of a deal for $70-80/year.

I watch it on TV with an MSNTV2 box that costs me $10/month.
    /r/reds

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I've had it for two years going on three now.

It's acceptable. It will slow down for me at times. I don't know if its MLB.tv or my lack of bandwith (DSL). The picture isn't all that great (I like to blow it up to full screen).

Won't run full screen on my mac, so I watch on a PC.

I haven't used it with Mosaic (6 games at a time) or anything.

I get my games, it's the only way...so it works for me.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This will be my third season as a subscriber to MLB.TV.

If you're not in the blackout area for the Reds and willing to forgive the occasional glitch when bandwidth drops on your connection, it's a heck of a deal for $70-80/year.

I watch it on TV with an MSNTV2 box that costs me $10/month.

Well, as you know, I'm not in the Reds broadcast market. I don't mind having to pay the money. What is the picture quality like? Do you use the standard MLB.tv package or did you go with the Premium package (which offers twice the picture quality)?

....and tell me more about the MSNTV2 box that allows you to watch it on your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    Well, as you know, I'm not in the Reds broadcast market. I don't mind having to pay the money. What is the picture quality like? Do you use the standard MLB.tv package or did you go with the Premium package (which offers twice the picture quality)?

....and tell me more about the MSNTV2 box that allows you to watch it on your tv.
    I'm a premium subscriber and they will go to 700K in April so the picture will be better... The spring has been mostly 300K broadcasts and if you don't blow them up, the quality is acceptable to me. I wouldn't go over 2x though....

I absolutely love it.... I guess you could try the premium on a monthly basis in order to see if its worth it.... if it's not for you then you could switch to the standard package and only be out $5 (the difference in the monthly rate).....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Well, my laptop will handle the Premium package, and it's a 17" widescreen....so I'm interested in a fullscreen display. Looks like I'll be trying out the premium.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm cheap, and the picture quality didn't bother me, so I stuck with the standard plan. I'd say it looks a little better than a VHS tape when you watch it on the computer. On the MSNTV2 box, it looks much better than VHS quality.

It's a set-top box that connects to broadband for surfing the Internet. I think I paid about $30 for the box from TigerDirect (refurbished) and the service costs me $9.95/month because I use my own broadband connection rather than the Internet service they provide. I've seen the boxes for similarly cheap prices on eBay.

Lots more details here.

http://www.webtv.com/pc/

Most people who subscribe to MSNTV have it because they don't want to have a computer. My 80-something mother-in-law is a prime example.

MLB.TV uses Windows Media format for the streaming video, which also happens to be supported by MSNTV.
    /r/reds

Well, my laptop will handle the Premium package, and it's a 17" widescreen....so I'm interested in a fullscreen display. Looks like I'll be trying out the premium.
    Not to pressure you or anything,,,,,,,but today the Reds are going against Daisuke Matsuzaka on mlbtv....

I hope Hamilton is in the lineup because that would be a really interesting matchup... gyroball vs superman....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I've only had it since Spring Training started, but I love it. If I have a class while something's going on, I can go back later as it's archived pretty quickly and watch over it. I have the Premium and the quality seems to be very clear, but I don't have any reference to what the regular is.

Why pay when you can watch MLB.TV free off of this site: http://myp2p.eu/MLB.htm

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    Why pay when you can watch MLB.TV free off of this site: http://myp2p.eu/MLB.htm

I already know about that...but the few times that I tried it, it would open the TVU player, but it wouldn't play anything. Or, it would open the TVU player, and something else would be on.

Also, how do you know that ALL of the regular season games will be broadcast on that. I don't think that's a guarantee.

....but, I'll gladly listen to what you have to say about it.

bump...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    You mean besides the fact that it amounts to stealing content from Major League Baseball and would be illegal to both do and encourage others to do?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You mean besides the fact that it amounts to stealing content from Major League Baseball and would be illegal to both do and encourage others to do?
    Not to mention the damage to your soul/self-esteem.....

Turn Off Ads?