1. Freel
    2. Hatteberg
    3. Dunn
    4. Encarnacion
    5. Griffey
    6. Phillips
    7. Ross
    8. Gonzalez

The line-up that Narron seems to be proposing is awful and insane. Having your best hitters in the 5-6 slots is not smart.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Horrible Lineup news

I can see where Fay might have dug this one up, this lineup is R-L-R-L-R-L-R-R and Narron did like to split the lefties last year.
    Go Gators!

If you flip Dunn and Griffey, I actually don't hate that lineup. Narron doesn't want 3 out of 4 lefties 2-6, which I can understand. Dunn can't bat 6th though.

These are the 3 Fay says he is considering, do you guys like the other two better than the first?

Asked Jerry Narron about the lineup before the game. Basically, he's leading toward going to bat the left-handers second, fourth and sixth. Brandon Phillips will likely be third, Edwin Encarnacion fifth. (Sounds like Josh Hamilton will go in Ken Griffey Jr.'s spot if Griffey on the DL).

Hasn't decided where the lefties -- Griffey, Adam Dunn and Scott Hatteberg -- will hit. Only thing absolutely set is Ryan Freel will hit leadoff.

There are a lot of possibilities:

Freel
    Hatteberg
    Phillips
    Griffey Jr.
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    David Ross
    Alex Gonzalez

or
    Freel
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Ross
    Gonzalez

or
    Freel
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Ross
    Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I was hoping for something more along the lines of:

1. Freel
    2. Hatteberg
    3. Dunn
    4. Encarnacion
    5. Griffey
    6. Phillips
    7. Ross
    8. Gonzalez

The line-up that Narron seems to be proposing is awful and insane. Having your best hitters in the 5-6 slots is not smart.
    That lineup is way too obvious. otoh, the Cubs would never expect the Reds to hit Phillips third....that has to be it--the element of surprise. Sneak up on them.

Dunn won't get anything to hit if he is stuck batting 6th. The reason Narron probably likes this lineup is the rightly-lefty-rightly-lefty-righty-lefty-righty in the first 7 spots but it is a big mistake batting Dunn 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by geniusMoment View Post
    These are the 3 Fay says he is considering, do you guys like the other two better than the first?

Asked Jerry Narron about the lineup before the game. Basically, he's leading toward going to bat the left-handers second, fourth and sixth. Brandon Phillips will likely be third, Edwin Encarnacion fifth. (Sounds like Josh Hamilton will go in Ken Griffey Jr.'s spot if Griffey on the DL).

Hasn't decided where the lefties -- Griffey, Adam Dunn and Scott Hatteberg -- will hit. Only thing absolutely set is Ryan Freel will hit leadoff.

There are a lot of possibilities:

Freel
    Hatteberg
    Phillips
    Griffey Jr.
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    David Ross
    Alex Gonzalez

or
    Freel
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Ross
    Gonzalez

or
    Freel
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Ross
    Gonzalez
    The 2nd and 3rd are much better then the first. I probably like the last one the best.

Quote Originally Posted by geniusMoment View Post
    or
    Freel
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Ross
    Gonzalez
    This one is pretty respectable (assuming Griffey cans the free swinging from last year), although I'd prefer to see EE and BP switched.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This one is pretty respectable (assuming Griffey cans the free swinging from last year), although I'd prefer to see EE and BP switched.
    .316 OBP batting 2nd? Yikes. We all know how he fell in love with that first pitch too.

I'd like to have Dunn bat 2nd just because he'll get on base and give Freel some pitches to run on.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The 2nd and 3rd are much better then the first. I probably like the last one the best.
    I also like the last one the best. Dunn has done well batting 2nd in the past.

I don't have a huge problem with it. I kind of like hatteberg at 2nd in the order if he performs like last year with a high OBP. I like the separating of Dunn and Jr in the order. I think we're just missing a solid #3 hitter. Hopefully EE turns into one with age.
    And this one belongs to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    .316 OBP batting 2nd? Yikes. We all know how he fell in love with that first pitch too.

I'd like to have Dunn bat 2nd just because he'll get on base and give Freel some pitches to run on.
    I'd tend to think Junior's low OBP last year was just an anomaly, so I wouldn't have a problem batting him #2 and see where it goes. Dunn #2 would be fine with me as well, though.

And for the idea that many have of Hatte hitting second, I don't have the stats offhand, but even with his noted walk profiency Hatte was dreadful all around in the #2 hole last year. He hit much better batting 5th and 6th.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All 3 are pretty awful, put Phillips 2 if you want him near the top of the lineup.

Freel
    Phillips
    Dunn
    EE
    JR
    Hat
    Ross
    Gonzo

would be my choice.
    Go Gators!

Brandon Phillips should not be getting more at bats than Junior, Dunn, or EE. Period.

Did you realize that Phillips slugged less than Hatteberg (.427 vs .436)? He got on base a TON less than Hatteberg.

Batting Dunn and his OBP any lower than 5th, particularly given the other guys ahead of his, is pretty strong truth that Narron doesn't get it. If you really wanna worry about L/R/L/R (and you shouldn't, because Dunn hits Lefties better than Phillips hits righties), then bat Junior or Hatteberg 2nd, EE 3rd, and Dunn cleanup.

I say screw the lefty/right issues -- Dunn is that much more productive against anybody than the other options that it really doesn't matter.

Freel/Deno
    Dunn
    EE
    Junior
    Hat
    Phillips
    Ross
    Gonzalez

Dunn's line batting 2nd the last 3 years? .308/.425/.564. That's right, as a #2 hitter, Dunn batted .308.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I would prefer:

Freel cf
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Griffey rf
    Phillips 2b
    Hatteberg 1b
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    Harang p

If Griffey is not ready by Opening Day, then I would prefer:

Freel cf
    Hatteberg 1b
    Encarnacion 3b
    Dunn lf
    Phillips 2b
    Hamilton rf
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    Harang p
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?