Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pete Rose To Appear On Tonight Show With Jay Leno -- Monday, March 26

Re: Pete Rose To Appear On Tonight Show With Jay Leno -- Monday, March 26

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I didn't know Steve Carlton was on 'roids.

I didn't see the show, but I'll bet he was referring to Carlton's refusal to talk to the press.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I didn't see the show, but I'll bet he was referring to Carlton's refusal to talk to the press.
    Bonds talks to the press--just not very politely. Carlton refused to say anything--especially after Johnny Bench would tag him for multiple homers.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

He was but he got off on the steroids tangent. He is right, though. If you don't treat the press well, they won't treat you well no matter how nice of a guy you are.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I suspect you're right, but I attribute that to Leno. A few months ago Pete was on Letterman, and he talked a lot about being baseball's greatest ambassador, and a lot about being in the HOF, and a lot about baseball and the current Reds. That's because it's the direction in which the host steered the conversation. Now Letterman of course grew up a baseball fan and a Reds fan to boot. He is also not a creepwad.
    Pete Rose really is a fascinating person. On the one hand he is a compulsive gambler and a liar who finds himself in his current position of his own doing. On the other hand, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball and can be downright charming when talking about the game itself. If it weren't for the gambling and the lying about it, I could imagine he would be one of the better broadcasters in baseball if he weren't managing somewhere. I can only hope that his admission that his gambling is addiction means he might actually make an effort to get help for it.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

If it weren't for the gambling and the lying about it, I could imagine he would be one of the better broadcasters in baseball if he weren't managing somewhere.
    I don't know; he doesn't seem to have an inner censor. He says the first thing that pops into his head (whether true or not). While that's entertaining, it likely wouldn't take him long to say something that would get him into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I don't know; he doesn't seem to have an inner censor. He says the first thing that pops into his head (whether true or not). While that's entertaining, it likely wouldn't take him long to say something that would get him into trouble.
    I don't know about that. There seem to be a lot of guys in broadcasting who lack an inner censor. Dizzy Dean and Harry Carey had long careers and were known for saying crazy things on the air.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I think in one of his books he said he was ADD which may account for the lack of filter between his brain and mouth.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?