Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dunn: best ST yet!

Dunn: best ST yet!

1.203 OPS, NO errors in 13 games, K pace for per 600 ABs=146 (very livable with) Bravo Adam! He clearly has put in a lot of work and it's great to see...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn: best ST yet!

Not to be negative, just curious but what has Adam's OPS been in the past few spring trainings.
    Its seems we've heard the same things in the past, then Adam rips the cover off the ball in April.
    Then when the month turns to May, its an insult to ugly to call Adam's may production ugly.

After that it's usually up and down, overall still pretty good, but not great.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

To quote Marty B, ''And Adam Dunn strikes out again''!Keep at it Dunner and prove him wrong.

I'm so bored with ST its not even funny..... lets get the ones that count started already....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    1.203 OPS, NO errors in 13 games, K pace for per 600 ABs=146 (very livable with) Bravo Adam! He clearly has put in a lot of work and it's great to see...
    These games are just warmups. Most starters are just out there working on their stuff and pitching a few innings. I don't put much stock in anyone's spring numbers. Dunn had a SLG of .750 last year in Spring Training and you know how that went. I hope he improves though, his future as a Red depends on it.

Well he has improved a little. His SLG as of today is .756 and as been stated he dosen't have an error charged as yet. One thing that Brantley mentioned today is that Dunn is starting to go the other way. If he continues to hit to left field we could see real improvement in his numbers. This is gonna be an exciting season.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Well he has improved a little. His SLG as of today is .756 and as been stated he dosen't have an error charged as yet. One thing that Brantley mentioned today is that Dunn is starting to go the other way. If he continues to hit to left field we could see real improvement in his numbers. This is gonna be an exciting season.
    Agreed. If he's learning to go the other way that means his all or nothing philosophy is changing. The pitchers who are nibbling at the outside corner and getting called strikes will now see those same pitches hit down the line for doubles. Dunn is always going to have high K totals but if he can cut down just a little and learn to do something with that outside pitch he can certainly accomplish a 40/120/.280 season and I would think most Reds fans would be satisfied especially if his defense improves as well.

How has the "great leftfielder" aspect gone so far? I haven't got to watch him on TV or anything, so I haven't been able to tell. That's what got me excited for Dunn this year.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

the thing i've noticed about adam is the swing doesn't loop as much this season. its more of a compact swing allowing for better contact. IMO i could see a very nice rise in his batting average this season.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    the thing i've noticed about adam is the swing doesn't loop as much this season. its more of a compact swing allowing for better contact. IMO i could see a very nice rise in his batting average this season.
    ...or he could hit into more double plays, walk a lot less, hit fewer homers, and still be beaten to death by the media because they don't understand how valuable and how good he is.

you could also be right.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

From ESPN.COM these are the spring training stats I could find for Dunn for the past few years- sorry no info on walks, ops. slugging
    Code:
    YEAR     AB     tb     HR   RBI     AVE     Season ave          Season OPS
    2007     44     31      4     12    .409               
    2006     52     39      6     11    .288          .234              .855
    2005     64     33      4     14    .281          .247              .927
    2004     53     43      6     15    .377          .266              .957
    2003     67     34      5     16    .224          .215              .819
    2002     69     23      2     12    .203          .249              .854
    Note total bases does not seem to include walks and I am unsure why I have included it.
    Last edited by klw; 03-26-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Cruisin' for trouble

There certainly seems to be *some* correlation between Dunn's ST results and his season following.

Turn Off Ads?