Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Thad Matta and UK...

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Thad Matta and UK....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    It's not that I hate Ohio State as much as I'm amazed by the ignorance of most OSU fans that have the "not my school" syndrome. Ohio State is just one of many "dirty" programs across the country.
    I think that has more to do with how you frame your arguments than with "ignorance" of tOSU fans. You seem to frame that as tOSU is just as "dirty" as any of the other teams. I want to frame that as tOSU is just as "clean" as any of the other teams. Go frame your same argument as "just as clean" instead of "dirty" and the response will obviously be different.

From what I can tell tOSU does as much or more than can be expected to try to educate boosters, players, etc. about NCAA violations. They have tightened up their admission policies for players so much that kids they are turning away are ending up on other Big10+1 squads.

I'm not sure what you expect when you have 80+ kids (emphasis on the kids) to watch over. Some of them are going to get in some kind of trouble no matter what you do. Some of them are going to drink. Some of them are going to do drugs. Some of them are going to cheat on tests/homework. The majority of college students will do at least one of these things if not 2 or 3. The players are no different.

That said, I have no doubts that some boosters, professors, admissions office, other students, etc. will do things that are outside the lines in hopes of helping the football/basketball team. I just don't see how any Univesity can hope to police all the students, alumni, professors, coaches, etc. at all times and for all activities.

I honestly wish that college athletes were paid. That would solve the problems. Athletes generate millions of dollars in revenue for their respective institutions, they should get a piece of the action. Giving them an "education" isn't enough, when the vast majority of your upper eschelon athletes are only at a college or university to improve their pro stock.
    I theory that would be great. In practice I think it'd be a disaster. It would work find for a handful of powerhouse football teams and a handful of powerhosue baseketball teams but it would more than likely bury MAC type schools altogether.

It would also lead to shutting down all sorts of sports programs that cannot sustain themselves at the gate like swimming teams, cross-country, tennis, baseball, etc.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

I honestly wish that college athletes were paid. That would solve the problems. Athletes generate millions of dollars in revenue for their respective institutions, they should get a piece of the action. Giving them an "education" isn't enough, when the vast majority of your upper eschelon athletes are only at a college or university to improve their pro stock.
    Yes, the big name players might be there 2 years.... But 2 years at OSU is what? 20g's?

Okay... Some are out of state... More money....

Add in Room and Food...

Oh yah... What about those Nike Jump Suits? Shoes? SHirts? Socks? Shorts? Hoodies? Sweetshirts they have on while on campus? Think they paid for em? Nope...

While the school is making a pretty dime on them... They are also giving alot back to the players of the sports....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I've said in the Non-Baseball Chatter forum many times that all major Div I programs in Football and Basketball are all dirty on some level. Obviously, some more than others.

Nothing would bring a bigger smile to my face than to see a report about Duke finally getting busted for some NCAA violation.

It's not that I hate Ohio State as much as I'm amazed by the ignorance of most OSU fans that have the "not my school" syndrome. Ohio State is just one of many "dirty" programs across the country.

UC had its problems, I'm sure XU had its problems, and I know my Syracuse Orangemen had their problems back in the 80s and 90s with athletes being given cars from a local dealership.

Fair enough.

And Duke has been implicated in some bad things. I even alluded to it by referencing Myron Piggie. He "confessed" to paying Corey Magette and a few other players, "without Coach K's knowledge."

Re: Thad Matta and UK...

If we can't keep this thread free from some of the nastiness towards others that I've seen above, it'll have to be closed.

Turn Off Ads?